Any solution for stiffened cables?
Apr 18, 2024 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bosk

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a Liquid Links Venom cable which has stiffened up over time, perhaps due to the PVC insulation reacting to humidity.

Are there any known treatments out there for softening up cables?

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 6
Funny you should ask that, as @Aeonyx is dealing with a similar issue with his Eros S. He was thinking of using a heat gun, but I think that's too risky a move for any cable of considerable value. That said...

I don't know if all manufacturers offer such a service, but I know that Eletech will occasionally take in cables to re-condition them (essentially re-weave and relax the braiding and memory that can occur over time). Perhaps Liquid Links can do something similar?

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 6
Get new cables

Apr 23, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Funny you should ask that, as @Aeonyx is dealing with a similar issue with his Eros S. He was thinking of using a heat gun, but I think that's too risky a move for any cable of considerable value. That said...

I don't know if all manufacturers offer such a service, but I know that Eletech will occasionally take in cables to re-condition them (essentially re-weave and relax the braiding and memory that can occur over time). Perhaps Liquid Links can do something similar?
Thank you for your reply Warren.

Unfortunately being a 2 wire cable braiding isn't the issue in this case as even the earhook areas (single wire per side) are stiffened, I've tried flexing the cable in different directions to relax the memory effect but to no avail.

I was thinking some sort of surface treatment rubbed into the outer insulation might have an effect, that perhaps there's an oil or lotion which can soften PVC. Googling this has not yielded any options so far however.

Apr 24, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Hmm... I wish I had an idea for you. :frowning2: The closest things I have to a Liquid Links Venom are the Code 23, Code 24C and RN6 cable. All three of those have withstood the test of time well, so I haven't run into this issue yet.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 6
1000008891.jpg

My EVO10 was deemed unrepairable by EA themselves, the wire above the splitter is very stiff. Everything below is as smooth as I remember it being. Funny thing is my rando chifi cables thrown randomly in my chifi drawer without a care in the world haven't changed their softness at all, meanwhile both my Effect Audio and Plussound cables suffer from the same "above the splitter stiffness" issue :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back