GreatDane

Headphoneus Supremus
...or siding, windows...gutters?
beerchug.gif

I can't be alone.

Reply even if you own a hammer.
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 9
I might as well be, Big Dog. I've helped more than person strip their roofs after Katrina. Hell, I can even lay one out now, push come to shove. But I've helped gut more homes than I care to recall.

The "Hey, what you doing on Friday" calls got so bad, I'd reply that I was having a double knee replacement.

After the Hurricane the ENTIRE city and every surrounding suburb needed new roofs. The roofing guns where part of the background noise of living. Why can't you people get silencers for those damn things!

As you know, I bitched about that here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f11/ne...ailers-206980/

As for owning a hammer, never again. I have a Hitachi Impact Driver. Nails be damned. Every now and again I put a 5 inch lag screew thru an oak pile just the feel my man hood rage.

Aug 8, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 9
lol
icon10.gif
The Evil Horn Lady gif. I remember that thread now. Katrina was a really f'up situation. The hurricane forecast for where I live is for an increase but they've been saying that for a few years now...it's just a matter of time. Further up the coast like NYC will be shocked when it does happen. We could use a nice cat.2 storm to stir things up and get the work crankin'.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol
icon10.gif
The Evil Horn Lady gif. I remember that thread now. Katrina was a really f'up situation. The hurricane forecast for where I live is for an increase but they've been saying that for a few years now...it's just a matter of time. Further up the coast like NYC will be shocked when it does happen. We could use a nice cat.2 storm to stir things up and get the work crankin'.

I'm surprised you didn't come down here. You could've made a mint.

My neighbors son is an industrious little person. He rented a cherry picker from Home Depot, bought a used Bobcat and stump grinder. He cut trees (big ones) and did roofs (no one gave a crap about licensing after the storm. If you needed a roof, you needed a roof. <--That's my prolific quote of the day, btw). That KID made over $250,000 in less than a year and a half.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised you didn't come down here. You could've made a mint.

My neighbors son is an industrious little person. He rented a cherry picker from Home Depot, bought a used Bobcat and stump grinder. He cut trees (big ones) and did roofs (no one gave a crap about licensing after the storm. If you needed a roof, you needed a roof. <--That's my prolific quote of the day, btw). That KID made over $250,000 in less than a year and a half.

Damn! My company stays busy year round. We are small with less than 25 hourly employees(+ subs). We get a lot of work through referrals and repeat contractors.I've been with my family business since 1985. I do mostly sheet metal work these days. This was my last job that wasn't the usual boring strip mall,etc... I do a lot of standing seam metal roofs.

IMG_1711.jpg

That's not real tile...its a stone coated steel product made by Allmet(aka: Dura-Loc) ALLMET Roofing Products - Stone Coated Steel Roofs . I took a trip to Canada a few years back to get certified to install that system.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 9
Ok, that's a few too many gables for my chalk line.
smile.gif
Most of what was destroyed here was asphalt. Most of the old terracotta here wasn't even bothered. That product looks like a great alternative, though.

You're obviously a pro.

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, that's a few too many gables for my chalk line.
smile.gif
Most of what was destroyed here was asphalt. Most of the old terracotta here wasn't even bothered. That product looks like a great alternative, though.

You're obviously a pro.

Thank you sir.
smile.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 9
I don't do roofs exclusively, but I have worked on quite a few of them. Between here and Arizona, my family and I own some apartments. We do all the work ourselves - my father, three guys and me. I do a lot more demo, painting and finish work.

Speaking of storms, a small twister touched down in Arizona (!) last year and took a bit of the roof of one unit. The funny thing was that the tenant had moved out the day before, so no one got hurt and nothing but the building was damaged. We put it back together, slowly and quietly. I think we slipped it by the inspector.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 9
I was a carpenter's apprentice for a summer with my dad the summer before I went to college. Did a lot of framing and finish carpentry, and some other stuff like laying block, etc.

My dad's been a mason most of his life, but switched to being a carpenter because it's more steady; plus, he works for a company that only builds custom high-dollar houses.

I can build stuff, frame walls, do trim, drywall, etc, although I still prefer mechanical work (wrenching on cars, etc) for hands-on stuff. I've done some roofs, and I absolutely despise them, especially in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back