Any recommendations for an inexpensive tabletop radio with quality sound?
Jan 5, 2018 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

PJABBER

100+ Head-Fier
I have a friend that wants to buy a tabletop radio for her kitchen and I am wondering if anyone can make a recommendation.

She is kind of retro and not likely to stream anything from her phone or pc to a Bluetooth speaker, so this has to be a one box solution.

Ideally would include the following, in order of priority -

1. Under US$100 price, preferably under $50

2. Must have above average sound quality including decent, defined bass

3. Having a clock and alarm functions would be really nice

4. Strong reception for FM and AM bands, but having HD Radio as well as weather bands as well would be ideal

5. WiFi streaming would be a plus, as would Bluetooth (maybe she will use these at some point)

I have previously enjoyed the sound quality of the Proton/Sangean 320 clock radios and was going to recommend getting a used one, but maybe there is something equivalent or better on the market now?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 6, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 5
Roberts Stream 93i is a very good radio.

Yes, but it is not available in the U.S. and it costs too much!

There are a lot of UK brands that might be contenders, but they are relatively costly or are just not being shipped to the U.S.

Roberts, Revo, Pure all make good products.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 5
@PJABBER if you can make it to the event next weekend, I have two tabletop radios I'm basically just giving away. I was trying to do so via eBay, but it became too much of a hassle. The last thing I sent, a wonderful stereo amplifier, the person just complained to no end about. No problems with it - he just liked to complain about shipping and packing. It really soured me on the whole idea of packing things myself for shipping.

Regardless, I've two things that I think might do - one is very female-friendly (almost looks like a handbag). The other is more the retro style. Both are oriented towards the old version of iPod, but they are basic desktop radios too. Hope to see you in a week!

Jan 6, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 5
@PJABBER if you can make it to the event next weekend, I have two tabletop radios I'm basically just giving away. I was trying to do so via eBay, but it became too much of a hassle. The last thing I sent, a wonderful stereo amplifier, the person just complained to no end about. No problems with it - he just liked to complain about shipping and packing. It really soured me on the whole idea of packing things myself for shipping.

Regardless, I've two things that I think might do - one is very female-friendly (almost looks like a handbag). The other is more the retro style. Both are oriented towards the old version of iPod, but they are basic desktop radios too. Hope to see you in a week!

Hey, that's really nice of you! I have next weekend mostly free and should be able to make the meet!

I hear you about the hassle of selling stuff to some people. They get a deal on nice equipment and then get bent out of shape about irrelevancies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back