Any Recommendation for detailed shouty, bassy headphones?
Aug 9, 2013 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Spiderman

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I am looking for a set of headphones that are often described as shouty, I love mids, especially if they are engaging and forward. I like everything else to be balanced though a slight bass emphasis wouldn't hurt, I have tried grados and the mad dogs so far and many others but I still haven't found what I'm looking for. The treble on the 325is were painful and even though I liked the sound of the mad dogs I didn't like the fact that they needed an amplifier. So does anyone have any recommendations? I have also tried the He-400,500, M100, DT 990, Sennheiser hd650 and wasn't crazy for any.

Aug 9, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 9
Howdy

Have you had a chance to try the grado sr225i ? The treble is not as painful on them, I listened to a set of 325 and 225 before I bought the 225, I liked that the 325 seemed to have a but better bass, but the treble was painful, I almost checked to make sure I had not had my ears pierced again :frowning2: Also they can be used without an amp, I use mine amped only though they sound even better amped :)

A tube or hybrid tube amp will tame the treble on grados in general :)

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 9
Price range? Maybe look into an IEM if you don't want to use an amp.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 9
Howdy

Have you had a chance to try the grado sr225i ? The treble is not as painful on them, I listened to a set of 325 and 225 before I bought the 225, I liked that the 325 seemed to have a but better bass, but the treble was painful, I almost checked to make sure I had not had my ears pierced again :frowning2: Also they can be used without an amp, I use mine amped only though they sound even better amped :)

A tube or hybrid tube amp will tame the treble on grados in general :)

No I skipped the 225 and went directly for the 325 since it was suppose to be the most detailed of the bunch but I had the same issue with the treble, it just turned me off of grados.

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 9
The grado 225 treble is not as piercing, other than those I have not listened to any headphones worth mentioning :)

I did check into iem headphones once and had thought about hifiman iems they look well built and cost $99, I decided against iem as I didn't need portability after I thought about it more :)

What source will you be using ? I'm guessing iPod or phone since you dont want to use an amp

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
The grado 225 treble is not as piercing, other than those I have not listened to any headphones worth mentioning
smily_headphones1.gif

I did check into iem headphones once and had thought about hifiman iems they look well built and cost $99, I decided against iem as I didn't need portability after I thought about it more
smily_headphones1.gif

What source will you be using ? I'm guessing iPod or phone since you dont want to use an amp

You are talking about the RE-400 right? 

Aug 9, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 9
Yep those are the ones I was eye balling / thinking about, are they not bass heavy ? I didn't listen to them, after just googling some reviews, they are not bass heavy, they where one of two iem I looked at that looked though

I also read the klipsch s4 had good bass too, but have not listened to them either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back