Any reason not to buy an open box ASUS Xonar Essence STX?
Jul 17, 2009 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

KLJTech

1000+ Head-Fier
I was at Newegg looking to buy the ASUS Xonar Essence STX and they have it for $199.95 but early in the AM today they had an open box STX card for $116, I had to pull the trigger on that deal since whoever ends up buying my Prelude will get a card that was handled carefully and is packed in the original box like new (all the extra stuff is still in their original unopened bags). Maybe I'll luck out and it'll be the same way with the Asus STX card. If there's anything wrong with it I still have 30 days to return the card.

Do you guys see any reason NOT to buy the open box Asus STX while saving $83 on a $200 card? I don't think that I've never purchased an open box product before but it would have been no different if I had bought the card used from someone on these forums. I am concerned that on Newegg.com it says: "The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer".

I see no reason why as long as the card wasn't altered that it wouldn't be just as good a one that hadn't been opened.

Was this a smart move or not so much?
Obviously I'm a little uneasy buying an open box item. Have any of you ever done this? I do know that Newegg is a great company to deal with and I've bought from them for years with no problems.

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 8
I have done a load of business with newegg, and I do not think you made a bad choice. I am sure the card works wonderfully. The only thing you should be weary about is the accessories. I do not recall the STX to come with anything more than a 6.5mm-3.5mm adapter though, so I think you'll be fine. Newegg would not accept back a damaged product and sell it as open box.

I'm just a bit jealous that you bought it before me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Aslong as you get everything that comes with the card and you get a decent warranty -there is no reason not to save $83 that is a good deal for that card.
Test it when you get it. Make sure everything is working fine and the card is not damaged in anyway.
Enjoy.

Jul 18, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aslong as you get everything that comes with the card and you get a decent warranty -there is no reason not to save $83 that is a good deal for that card.
Test it when you get it. Make sure everything is working fine and the card is not damaged in anyway.
Enjoy.

Yeah, I figured that before I even installed the card I would check and make sure that the Op-Amps haven't been switched out and that the card appeared to to be physically okay.

Newegg basically says that with an open box that you're on your own as far as things may be missing but I'm sure that they at least see that the card is in working order (I hope ). I couldn't care less if a cable is missing, I build audio cables for a living.

If the driver disc is missing I'm sure that I can download them from the website, I don't know if any software that comes with the card is available for download at Asus but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLJTech /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I figured that before I even installed the card I would check and make sure that the Op-Amps haven't been switched out and that the card appeared to to be physically okay.

Newegg basically says that with an open box that you're on your own as far as things may be missing but I'm sure that they at least see that the card is in working order (I hope ). I couldn't care less if a cable is missing, I build audio cables for a living.

If the driver disc is missing I'm sure that I can download them from the website, I don't know if any software that comes with the card is available for download at Asus but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

I never use the driver disc anyway - how do you know that ASUS hasn't updated the drivers since they shipped that product to newegg's warehouse? I just feel much better getting them from the internet.

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 8
I would always just download the latest driver from their website but I'm concerned about software that comes with the card and if I'd be able to download that from the website if the disc was missing. I have to think that it has the disc with it or Newegg wouldn't have taken the return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back