Any portable player with Spdif out?
Dec 25, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #16 of 28
When the OP asks about "portable players" are we limited to non-shiny disc players? I wanted to say .mp3, but in a world of huge memory and alac and flac files, it wouldn't be fair to call them MP3 players anymore.
Portable CD players are still a viable option for digital output, or aren't they?

Dec 25, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #17 of 28
I haven't heard the Pacemaker or Archos. I have the iRiver ihp-140 and its a superb player. I looked around for a while including PCDPs with optical out. At the end of the day, the convenience and form factor of a DAP won out. I couldn't be bothered lugging CD packs around.

I've rockboxed my iRiver for lossless (flac) support. The optical out of the 140 to my iBasso D1 (upgraded opamps) sounds incredible.

Dec 26, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #18 of 28
Thank you all for the answers!"

I think I’ll buy a iRiver h-1xx series player and connect it to the iBasso. It is still portable not being too big.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all for the answers!"

I think I’ll buy a iRiver h-1xx series player and connect it to the iBasso. It is still portable not being too big.
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't give up ! It is going to be a hard thing to find these days.
But a fine player. After 4 years nothing replace it's simplicity yet superiority.

So what's the verdict on the spdif out from 605 ? and how 'bout the 705 ?
Watching movies on the go with the D1 would be sweet.

Dec 31, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want movies on the go with the D1, I think the Q5W is the only real answer.

Why ? in what way is the Q5W better ?
No s/pdif in both (onboard).

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #22 of 28
Any updates on the archos or cowon?

Jul 25, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #23 of 28
I am using Archos 605's spdif out to feed a dac then to amp and headphone (please see my signature). The archos 605 must use DVR docking station to output spdif, headphone jack does not output spdif (I have tried both). I do not know the bit depth/resolution of the spdif out of Archos 605 though; it sounds good when fed to my Gamma2 dac and M3 amp.

I am annoyed how someone misleads others w/o even trying to confirm the truth first. Few weeks ago I got another guy at headfi telling me that his PCDP has optical output but "no PCDP ever produced can output digital signal to feed a dac"......in the same PM!

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #26 of 28
the pacemaker does not have digital out, which makes it a totally overpriced and gimmick product IMO

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #27 of 28
there are also the QA350/550 WAV players

Users who are viewing this thread

Back