Any portable media player with USB output?
Aug 20, 2008 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tk3

Headphoneus Supremus
Topic^

Since getting my Pico, I'm wondering if there is any way to use the DAC in it from a portable source, by feeding it a USB signal.
I know there are those small laptops, but I'm after something smaller, say the size of an iPod or so.

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, but I'm really looking for a DAP only, I already have a phone.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess there is just no market for it, since the average Joe has no need for such a function,
Let's hope some manufacturer will step up and be the first to make a DAP with USB out, with all the USB DAC/amp's being pumped out, this might not be too unlikely.

Aug 21, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but I'm really looking for a DAP only, I already have a phone.
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess there is just no market for it, since the average Joe has no need for such a function,
Let's hope some manufacturer will step up and be the first to make a DAP with USB out, with all the USB DAC/amp's being pumped out, this might not be too unlikely.

I don't think it will happen. The hardware may not be an issue in terms of being made, but why would companies do that? there is no function for it, and never mind the battery life, and the fact they would have to develop the kernel. As each DAP uses its own firmware, different kernels will have to be made for each company, and different products will need different kernels. So, I don't think it is going to happen. The most likely thing that *could* happen is that a company, for no reason at all, makes the hardware available, and the open source committee (eg rockbox) develop the kernels on their firmware. Still, one can dream.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back