Any point in going from an asus sound board to headphone amplifier?
Sep 5, 2015 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

squidman

100+ Head-Fier
Current rig...dual xeon workstation, and picked up a v-can (v1 !) after I realized the z9pe-d8 ws mobo couldn't drive my akg k612's....

After that, for the gaming, picked up an asus phoebus solo and el-cheapo logitech surround setup.  

Now wondering, for music, what is the best signal chain flow....is there any point in connecting an headphone amp to the phoebus? It sounds a bit breathier, but most likely is just degrading the signal chain...is all analog...any ideas?

Have open and closed cans for music (akg k612's and k271mkii's) but stuck with spotify premium and youtube, no flac yet or hi-fi sources apart from a lot older cd's...not that I could hear the difference likely....

Does it even make sense to double amplify?  Have a feeling my V-Can is pretty useless with the phoebus....going from headphone out to line in....although the v-can does sound a bit more breathy or whatever..maybe...very subjectively..still degrading the signal...

Any help appreciated...feels like doing something very wrong with the signal between gittar, preamp and amp, cab there as an analogy...
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back