Any place in NY to audition high end headphones?
Jan 21, 2016 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mcemce13

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I will be travelling to NY next week and was wondering if there any stores to audition high end headphones? like Audeze, HiFMan expensive line, etc.

Any help appreciated!

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 7
BH or Adorama for sure. Probably tons of others.

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 7
BH or Adorama for sure. Probably tons of others.

I would pass on B&H and Adorama. While they sell some high-end cans, I am not sure you can meaningfully audition any there. Both have some racks with cans plugged in. Nothing high end at Adorama although perhaps they will take out a Senn or Audeze for you, although in any event they will not have any good amps to use with them. B&H may have the Senn HD 800 out but it is through some mediocre pro amp on the rack and you cannot change music. I think it will be tough to get demos beyond that from them even if you are an interested buyer.

Stereo Exhcange is the place to go for both their headphone bar and dedicated headphone listening room. I might call in advance to let them know you are coming if possible. I deal with a number of sales people there, but I would ask for Michael as I think he is one of the few salespeople who are somewhat knowledgeable about headphones (they are mostly stereo guys there).

Also worth going to AC Gears which is relatively close to Stereo Exchange. Lots of Hifiman gear, although the top that they will have on hand is the HE560, not the HE 1000 or HEX. I believe SE has those though.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #6 of 7
AC Gears is a nice little shop. Their audio selection is more consumer-stuff than hardcore-audiophile though.
I didn't spot an HE560 last time, only a 400i. They might have a demo unit hidden in the drawers...
They also have earphones to demo, but not the SE846 unfortunately... They'll only open one if you really want to buy one.
Oh, and I got to demo the GH1 last time.

Another consumer-ish shop is Audio46 (46th St between 5th and 6th Ave).
Though their highest end you can demo is probably the Westone UM Pro 50.
Mostly $200 to $500 headphones.

There's also the Harman store at 54th and Madison if you specifically want to try out the K812.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back