Any open phones better than PX100 but still portable??
May 18, 2007 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Hanafuda

500+ Head-Fier
I was better off ignorant, really. A couple months or so rummaging around here and I'm pretty confused. I've got a budget of ~$100 and need some non-isolating headphones. I know all about Grado's and the Alessandro MS-1. In fact I'm thinking hard on the MS-1 cuz I can make a case for it out of something from Staples and the included grado boxfoam. But I'd like something a little more portable than that. Other than PX100, what're my options? Strictly for use from unamped Zune.

May 18, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 23
The PortaPro is very good sounding and very portable as well.
If you want even cheaper than that and still portable with good sound there is the entire range of lower Koss phones including the KSC 75, KSC 35, Pro35A, KTX-Pro 1

May 18, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 23
What type of music do you listen to? Are you sold on a particular sound signature?

I have to plug the iGrados for anything with a stringed instrument, modded of course. After that, the PortaPros are decent and work well with bassy music. There are a few others, like the AKGs, but I've only read mixed reviews about them. The iCans are good, but I was turned off by the recessed mids. The PX100s are very good and actually compliment the iGrados nicely.

May 18, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 23
do the igrado's collapse/fold in any way? if not, I don't really see how theyre any more portable than any other grado. In fact, if the cups wont rotate and lay flat, I'd consider them less portable.

Are k27i's open or closed?

I've been here for a little while, so yes I'm also aware of the KSC75's. I hate that theyre clip-ons, but considering the price I may give them a shot. It shouldn't matter, but I have to wear whatever I get at work, and anybody I've ever seen wearing clip-ons looked pretty goofy to me. (I know they can be headband modded, but that's kinda ghetto too. I had something a little more upscale in mind.)

arrgh.

edit: oh, I am mostly listening to rock/progressive, but I have an eclectic collection. Floyd, Sinatra, Tom Waits, The Mars Volta, Willie Nelson, anything spawned by Beatles, Tony Rice, Mingus, etc etc.

May 18, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 23
I prefer the PX100 over the Portapro (too much base). If you won't want to go with the KSC75, which I highly recommend as well, then you might want to look at a bud, such as the Pk1/Pk2/Pk3. I like my PK2s a lot. They are very portable, stay in my ear the best of any bud, and have great sound for a bud.

May 18, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 23
In my opinion the PX 100s are tough to beat. The Portapros are very good also, just with heavier bass and a little less detail. The iGrados just don't compare, unless they are modified and then to some they are now their favorite portable headphone.

May 18, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 23
you'd just think there'd be some demand from all the conspicuous ipod consumers for something high-end and portable other than IEM's. Not everyone likes sticking little things in their ears.

May 18, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do the igrado's collapse/fold in any way? if not, I don't really see how theyre any more portable than any other grado. In fact, if the cups wont rotate and lay flat, I'd consider them less portable.

Compared to other Grados, they're less bulkier, more durable, and will fit in my shirt pocket or back jeans pocket. They're a little larger than a pair of folded-up PortaPros.

May 18, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #9 of 23
I like my KSC75 more than my PX100.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 23
hmm, very interesting question-- virtually all upscale portables are closed, for the obvious reason that portable often means noisy environment. Well, I guess there are options like the Yuin earbuds or JBL Reference 220 canalphones, which are of course extremely small and I think in terms of SQ they can easily stand next to goodish portables like the PX100 and Koss offerings. But for something significantly better AND open, you may be thinking in the right direction to just suffer with the more-or-less portable MS1.

May 19, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 23
Perhaps up the budget a bit (~ $20) and get a MS-1 and a KSC75!

May 19, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JBL Reference 220 canalphones

are the 220's really that open? I've read lots of good things, but their price puts them in the ballpark of some decent IEM's so I didn't think too seriously about them. but if they let enough sound through to allow me to be alert to door knocks, phone ringing, or someone trying to speak to me, I think I'd give them a second look.

the 220's and the KSC75 would make an interesting combo I guess. hmm.

May 19, 2007 at 9:19 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagathon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Portapros are very good also, just with heavier bass and a little less detail.

Uh?! My PortaPros sound opposite: compared to my PX100s (old version) are more detailed in the midrange and the treble and a little less heavy in the (very) low frequencies!
In any case, i hav'nt found yet a better alternative to these mini cans!

May 19, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanafuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the 220's really that open? I've read lots of good things, but their price puts them in the ballpark of some decent IEM's so I didn't think too seriously about them. but if they let enough sound through to allow me to be alert to door knocks, phone ringing, or someone trying to speak to me, I think I'd give them a second look.

the 220's and the KSC75 would make an interesting combo I guess. hmm.

They give a very small amount of isolation, barely any more than the supraaural options you've been thinking of. You can hear almost as well with as without them when the sound is off, though with the drawback that your own voice is much different and unless you take measures there is some cable noise. Of course any headphones playing music might make you miss a knock on the door on occasion. But for longer use, I personally would always stay away from anything in-ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back