any one get the eno remasters yet?
Jun 2, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #2 of 21
I own discreet music and music for airports... not sure if they are the remastered ones though

they are both virgin 'editions eg' whatever that means
confused.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #3 of 21
Could somebody check if the new remasters have been dynamically compressed to hell?

Most cd re-issues since the early 90's have suffered this horrible faith.

I think it would be quite ironic if the "father of ambient" would end up being compressed in order to get that "hot! ass kicking sound"
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 21
These were going to be Redbook only, then they were going to be SACDs, then they were going to be only Redbook again. Does anyone know if there are SACD versions that are separate, or are these hybrids, or were we robbed?

Jun 5, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 21
I guess I'll become the guinea pig. I will pick up "Warm Jets" this weekend with some luck. I don't own any of the original pressed Eno cd's anymore so I won't be able to do an A:B comparison.

Jun 5, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 21
glad to hear someone is trying one of these. all i can say is that i have music for airports and the quality of the cd sound is terrible, very audible background hiss and its very annoying. on the other hand my life in the bush of ghosts is considerably better although thats probably due to the age of the recordings in question. i may pick one or two of these up this weekend as well.

Jun 5, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 21
Well, I went to Circuit City and Best Buy today and they both did not have any of the recent remasters.

I figured I'd pick up something (I hate leaving these places with nothing). Got Santana's "Abraxas" and Steely Dans "The Royal Scam". There goes my Eno money. Gotta wait a while I guess. The new Eno stuff is really flying off the shelves or these retailers are slow to carry them. Probably the latter.

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenear
Well, I went to Circuit City and Best Buy today and they both did not have any of the recent remasters.

I figured I'd pick up something (I hate leaving these places with nothing). Got Santana's "Abraxas" and Steely Dans "The Royal Scam". There goes my Eno money. Gotta wait a while I guess. The new Eno stuff is really flying off the shelves or these retailers are slow to carry them. Probably the latter.

Actually, based upon my experience in checking them regularily, they almost never stock anything new but releases by large selling artists. I seriously doubt we will ever see Eno SACDS available at either store. Believe it or not, I've had better luck with Media Play in finding more unique music on SACD.

JC

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 21
The CC store I went to had a very good selection of King Crimson cd's so I assumed they would carry Eno's new releases. I will go to Yesterday and Today record store near me they should have it.

Jun 8, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 21
King Crimson and Brian Eno SACD's are both evidently on infinite
hold. Can't find them anywhere, and they have been on my order
list for over a year.

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I own discreet music and music for airports... not sure if they are the remastered ones though

they are both virgin 'editions eg' whatever that means
confused.gif

just curious since there has been no answer as of yet... are these the remastered versions? or are they the older version? not sure myself since I bought them fairly recently...

Jun 8, 2004 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 21
Got four of the Eno DSD mastered (?) CD re-releases.

They all contain Cactus Data Shield, which destroys original musical content with the copy protection.

Taking them all back tomorrow to get a refund.

What a major disappointment.

I'll see if I can do some Adobe Audition Peak level measurements to see possible clippings, before I take them back.

However, these are definitely compressed comapred to the original (i.e. "hotter").

Jun 8, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 21
I don't think if you can tell if any CD has been "compressed" very easily just by looking for clipping, although you can find out if it's been "maximized", that is instead of using 70% of the available volume, it's using 100%, but has not been *compressed*. You can increase the relative volume of any recording *without* using compression. Do you have the original "uncompressed" issues to compare against?

Jun 10, 2004 at 10:32 AM Post #14 of 21
No, I don't have the originals and my Audition tryout ran out.

I was thinking more of the histogram of Audition, which might be a good indicator of compression.

Another one is to use sonograms, but I'm not up to speed on that yet.

EDIT: I doubt the above is necessary.

Based on a thread at Talking heads forum and Astralwerks promo page, I doubt these are much compressed / tweaked from the originals:

http://www.astralwerks.com/eno/reissue.html

Pity for the Cactus Data Shield copy protection on the Euro releases. Due to this, I won't be buying a single original of the remasters, but rather hunt down the older LPs/CDs from a local library.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 21
alright, my two cents since i went out and bought all four remasters. having previously owned only music for airports (which i thought at the time was a poor recording) and my life in the bush of ghosts (which i didnt think was so bad) i will say iam disappointed to say the least. after to listening to all four i can say without a doubt that i feel these recordings must have been must better in the original vinyl format. the remasters left me feeling very distant to say the least. i wouldnt say they are compressed per se, just very flat and thin. not much bass to speak of, not to mention that the soundstage is aweful. vocals are fair at best. no audible hiss noted although i would exchange that for some depth in respect to the remaster. i enjoy eno's work immensly and the packaging is very cool indeed, digipak with what they call a "dust jacket," basically a plastic sleeve for the digipak to fit into. all in all i would give these cds a C- for the remaster, an A for the music itself however it all gets lost in the remastering. if i had to give any advice i would say if you have a vinyl rig and can find these by all means get them. and for those who dont i would get the original cds if they are any better which i can not attest to because i have not heard them, but i cant imagine them sounding any worse, someone can correct me if im wrong. its hard for me to believe the two music mags which i read that gave these cds four and five stars, fyi the mags are Q and UNCUT. unless of course my system is complete poop in which case you can throw everything i said in the trash bin!

edited for a swear word, naughty me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back