Any leather cases for the HiFiMAN HM-801?
May 27, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #16 of 41
Very nice, but how do you access the front "X" pattern buttons next to the LCD?  Just press through the case?  I guess it would be more of a skin case. 

I was thinking that having amp attach to the battery door front area, below the LCD.  Not sure if having a patch of velcro there would look nice.  But it would be more functional that way.  You can lie the player down on it's back with the LCD facing up, and not have it resting on the Amp.  But the space on the bottom of the LCD would only really allow for smaller amps like the Pico Slim, RSA Shadow, Protector, etc.

Also, I'd like the option to have a belt loop/clip on the back.  Yes, totally silly to wear it on a belt, but I'd like the option to be able to totally geek out like that.  Haha.

-Ed

May 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 41

Quote:
Very nice, but how do you access the front "X" pattern buttons next to the LCD?  Just press through the case?  I guess it would be more of a skin case. 

I was thinking that having amp attach to the battery door front area, below the LCD.  Not sure if having a patch of velcro there would look nice.  But it would be more functional that way.  You can lie the player down on it's back with the LCD facing up, and not have it resting on the Amp.  But the space on the bottom of the LCD would only really allow for smaller amps like the Pico Slim, RSA Shadow, Protector, etc.

Also, I'd like the option to have a belt loop/clip on the back.  Yes, totally silly to wear it on a belt, but I'd like the option to be able to totally geek out like that.  Haha.

-Ed

Hey Edwood, it's genuine cowhide leather so the buttons can be pressed very easily top and bottom panels as the leather is very malleable.It isn't so much of a skin case per se as the leather is still thick enough to provide very good protection.

I wanted holes for the buttons but the master craftsman advised against it for purely aesthetic reasons. The reason he also gave was pretty easy to convince me- "It's not exactly hard to memorize the button layouts and press through the leather simply"-I took his advise. You would not want to cut so many holes or take away another section of the leather for the case.

Yes and you are right but I chose the back again for 1)aesthetic reasons-it just looks better that way 2) practicality as I wanted to rotate the different external amps in any way that I saw fit (the entire back is velcroed)-You can't really do that with the front due to its limited space for velcro 3) The ability to swap just about any external amp of any size and still have it be placed comfortably is if I chose to do so.  In fact the Hifiman has no issues lying on the amp, it's doing so right now as I'm typing this haha.

Here's a picture of the back by the way.

I use a bag anyway so no issue with me just dumping the whole set up in the bag and not fear scratches anymore or worry about the setup falling apart!

Regarding the belt loop situation, alternatively I could ask the master craftsman to custom carrying straps on the side and sling cary the player (I frankly think it'd look horrific trying to belt this setup)....but I'm very very happy with his work and will probably not be making any more modifications to it . Best of all it was custom and made only in 2 days!

BTW, I also forgot to mention that it runs very cool when playing or charging in the case. No issues at all!

May 27, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #20 of 41

Quote:
Nice, was it expensive?

Are you only using the line out? How do you access the top buttons and headphone out?

I just press-leather's soft for me to navigate the top buttons even or I can open the flap and press it-either way works The leather isn't tough at all. For the few situations when I do need to use to use the headphone out. I just open the flap and plug in.

I initially wanted a hole for the headphone out, but figured that I wanted to preserve the integrity of the top flap, so I left it at that. I can request for the hole to be cut at any time of course if I changed my mind in the future.

It isn't expensive at all(to me, for that quality and standard) It's the cost of a hifiman replacement battery.
smile_phones.gif

May 28, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #24 of 41
Can he make it with lambskin leather or softer nappa leather?

It's a really nice playthrough case.

For the button areas, he could use emboss dies to punch circular shapes where the buttons on the top and front are, so you have a visual reference of where to push, along with a tactile one.  Or stitching circles, shapes, etc.

-Ed

May 28, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #25 of 41
edwood,if you wanted snake skin or crocodile skin,it can be done also.it'll just cost more...hahaha...he can work with anything which is why its custom.i can ask if he has lambskin in stock.

I think the suggestion of having individual cutouts/embossing is not a bad idea...But believe me ,I had no need for it,because it was really easy to just feel the buttons and press-zero effort needed. You'll know where the buttons are anyway just by sheer intuiton and feel...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back