Any Koss A250's Still Around?
Jun 8, 2007 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

sharkz

500+ Head-Fier
I know I missed the thread on this by over a year, but I can't get over the looks and impressions of the $33 Koss A250's that were on Ebay last year. I would love to get a pair of these because I think they look great, are cheap, and would compliment my Grado SR-60's (in a different sort of way). I actually prefer their looks to the Sennheiser HD-580's.

I am just wondering if there are still any of these new floating around or even if there is a refurbished source. I have been looking around on ebay but really haven't seen anything. Thanks in advance.

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 41
There is a pair in the FS forum at the moment. They don't go for $33 anymore though, they are too rare and too good. I bought mine for around $100 shipped to Australia a few months ago. That's still a bargain for them IMO.

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 41
I am actually considering selling them... I just can't seem to like them completely... So stay tune...

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 41
try posting a WTB thread.... throw out enough $$$ and I'm sure you'll attract someone. (not me though)

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 41
x2 on the WTB suggestion, and x2 on the not me. The A250 are in that weird head-fi space: nobody wants to make a big profit from their fellow head-fiers, but there is no new headphone at $100 that can compete. It'd be more like twice that to get a real competitor. On the other hand, you have to like the A250's punishingly fast signature. If that's your thing, even at $200 there would be few competitors for SQ. For comfort, build quality, etc., yes, but not for SQ.

I'd suggest we make $100 the new standard on these. Still a good deal, but more in keeping with their abilities than $33. Mine are the only dynamic can I definitely plan on keeping.

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on the WTB suggestion, and x2 on the not me. The A250 are in that weird head-fi space: nobody wants to make a big profit from their fellow head-fiers, but there is no new headphone at $100 that can compete. It'd be more like twice that to get a real competitor. On the other hand, you have to like the A250's punishingly fast signature. If that's your thing, even at $200 there would be few competitors for SQ. For comfort, build quality, etc., yes, but not for SQ.

I'd suggest we make $100 the new standard on these. Still a good deal, but more in keeping with their abilities than $33. Mine are the only dynamic can I definitely plan on keeping.

For some the SA1000, the new Equation headphones, some Ultrasone models, the RS60-80, the V6, some low Senn models, and few others that retail for that price will beat the dust of the A250...Who said that? IMO the Koss are just one word, Portapros, for portable use, after that, the rest is just very under average in sound quality...

They offer an unbeatable warranty, and that is the major strength IMO, honestly I would like to see good headphones made by them but unfortunately that never happen...

Jun 9, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 41
Sadly this isn't what I was hoping to hear. Being a bit of a cheapass (especially when trying to convince my parents of worthwhile purchases), I was hoping I could still get a pair of these for under $50. I just got a pair of SR-60's and although I love their sound, I would like to also try out some different phones. Tops on my list would likely be the Sennheiser HD580, although these seem hard to get for less than $150.

They seemed like a good compromise (cheaper with a somewhat Senn sound). Guess I will have to wait or find something else for now. There is just something about the look of those Koss' that looks good to me. I don't know what it is.

Jun 10, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For once I think I have to agree with Al. I did not like the A250 very much when I heard it.

What didn't you like about them, if you don't mind me asking?

Jun 10, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 41
I too am curious. There is a 20 something page thread where everyone is gushing about these phones. Granted they were around $40, but any favorable comparison to Sennheiser 580's at that price point seems to be something worth investigating for me.

Jun 10, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What didn't you like about them, if you don't mind me asking?

I found them bright, harsh, and thin sounding, compared to the W5000 and K501 I had at the time.

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found them bright, harsh, and thin sounding, compared to the W5000 and K501 I had at the time.

Thats usually the biggest complaint about them, so you're certainly not alone. I have heard others complain of "plastic-ey" synthetic sounding mids. I can't completely disagree with this... but, IMHO most cans suffer from this, coming from HF1/RS1 land. If I had one complaint about the K701... its that at times I feel like the mids are a little "synthesized" sounding.... I can't put it into words??? but the difference is certainly there when A/B comparing K701 mids to RS1 mids.

A250 material quality sucks. Its just a bunch of cheap feeling thin grade plastic.

The ear cups don't pivot very well. If you imagine front end alignment on a car, you have camber, caster and toe-in. They have zero degrees of caster, and the toe-in angle is fixed so it cant pivot in/out. Basically if you have a square head, and perfectly perpendicular ears, they will fit great.

Anyhoot.... those are my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back