Any half decent portable speakers?
Sep 6, 2003 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

blr

500+ Head-Fier
I am thinking of getting some portable speakers to use in the office for music/FM radio listening.
Are there any amplified speakers that sound at least half decent.
I need something portable (need to move it around) battery powered, preffrebly 2.0 setup, i.e without a subwofer. The power is not important since these are only to provide background listening levels.

Sep 6, 2003 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 14
I wouldn't get office stereo speakers (they stink). You're much better off with some open-air headphones. What's your budget?

Sep 7, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 14
Unfortunately, blr, even the cheapest two-piece computer speakers nowadays are AC-powered, even if you need to use a wall-wart AC adaptor just to power them. And if you want to ditch the power cord, you'll have to settle for unpowered (passive) speakers.

Sony does offer a few battery-powered amplified speakers. But they only market them as Walkman accessories, NOT computer accessories - and they may or may not be magnetically shielded.

Sep 7, 2003 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks guys.

I will be actually using the speakers more with CD/radio MD than with the computer, so yes walkman speakers are OK for me. I see quite few cheap speakers like these being sold but I bet they suck. Has anyone heard these Sonys. I'm not looking for anithing HiFi, just a background music that will be listenable.

Sep 10, 2003 at 8:03 AM Post #7 of 14
Wouldn't eve be better a good boombox or personal stereo? Some of them have good battery life and skip protecction.

Sep 10, 2003 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 14
I have a pair of Creative Travelsound speakers that are decent portables. I take them to work, where I can't wear headphones because I work in a team-based environment. They are just a small battery powered unit with two 1" drivers. Runs off 4 AAA batteries for about a week or DC in power. has a line-in port that works great together with my MP3 players. Comes with a small travel pouch too.

Sep 10, 2003 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by fureshi
A decent set of cans will most likely sound better than the walkman speakers. Your money would be better spent on headphones instead.

Thanks fureshi, I know that. In fact, my best open headphones sound much better than any of my speakers. My point is to have something to just sing. As austonia pointed out I want my officemate to be able to hear.
Thanx, austonia for the creative info, I'll check to see if these are available around here.

Sep 10, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 14
That's a very good point. I hadn't thought of sharing the music since my work environment doesn't allow that. Back in my college days, I used to have a set of portable Aiwa speakers with a volume control that I ran through my D-25. They had the ability to take two C batteries or run through an AC adaptor. Although they were black, they're similar to this one:

http://www.jp.aiwa.com/products/acce...sc/sc-m48.html

I didn't see anything in the European Aiwa site for portable speakers though.

Sep 10, 2003 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 14
i know audiocubes has a couple of portable speaker models made my Audio-Technica. might be worth a look...they're neat looking, anyways

Sep 10, 2003 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 14
Check these out , do they "have" to be battery powered ? The Sony's use batteries and an ac adapter, so check it out.

Sep 21, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #13 of 14
Get a tivoli PAL, it's portable, the built in rechargeable batteries last 16 hours between charges, it's got a clean look, just like a brick, and the radio tuning's absolutely the best in the world.
It has an input for audio from a line out plus a pretty good headphone amp built in for headphones.

Sep 21, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks guys.
I just picked up a pair of Sony portable speakers. Don't remember the model (they're at work) A57 or something, nothing special really but he price was good and they were exactly what I was looking for. Do they sound good? In absolute terms NO! Compared to no name speakers from the supermarket yes a bit. Anyway, adequate for 44kb/s web radio or FM in the office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back