Any Good Dacs for 150 dollar budget.
May 31, 2011 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

genclaymore

Headphoneus Supremus
I had sold my STX to fund the E9, But now I planning on saving for a Dac since I temp using my old old Audigy2. I was thinking about the X-Fi HD as I started to like having the eax fuction for gaming which I do. But I was wondering are there any good  usb Dacs for under $150 dollars. I know about the E7,But any other choices out there.

It gonna be a while before I ever save up enough money. I would prefer the Dac having Op-amp sockets so I can swap out op-amps in the Dac.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 7
You do realise that the Fiio E9 uses exactly the same Texas Instruments headphone amp chip as the Essence STX? (the TPA62120A2)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503442/introduction-of-tpa6120a2-which-is-used-in-our-e9

So I'm not sure exactly how much of a difference you're going to hear with your new amp. The chip as implemented in the Essence measures very well - I wouldn't expect the Fiio to do it any better.

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Yes I know but you cant judge it based on that ic chip alone, You also cant just look at specs and assume how it sound, I looked all over the E9 threads on these forums for many months as well as ask around and so forth. Now until I went with Selling my STX to fund the E9 since the plan I had in place wasn't working so well. I been seeing the threads showing E9 having amazing performance for its price also it being a very very powerful amp. Even from those who compare it to there higher costing amp. Which I know there at least a thread showing it against other amps in higher costs.

I don't know what it is, but its seem like those who have higher costing amp assumes the Fiio E9 sound no different then the STX because of that one IC chip that they share,While every other component in the fiio E9 is different. I suggest you actually give the amp a try your self instead of looking at the specs and trying to get what it sound like from that. Because you cant hear sound from paper.

I not sure if any one is gonna help me since your post is all i seem to get and usually from those who never actually use the amp but looked at its specs instead. I may go with my original plan unless some one links me to a good Dac within the budget that have op-amp sockets and sound good. I didn't in up with a Matrix M or any thing more because I don't have a tree in my backyard that grows money and it sure doesn't rain money.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 7
+1 - the MSII will melt your mind, dude. I had started to take mine for granted until I plugged in a portable DAC/amp last night and instantly missed the MSII's power and grip. I know we hype the #%@!@~ out of gear on Head-Fi, but I dont think you can go wrong with the HRT DAC for that kind of money.

Jun 2, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks, I found it on amazon and saved link. I take it doesnt have any op-amp sockets inside the HRT Music Streamer II ,tho I can always open up the Fiio E9 later on and do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back