Any easy fix for Realtek HD onboard electrical noise (HDD etc activity)
Feb 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #17 of 20

Quote:

I bought both Titanium HD and ASUS Xonar D2 to compare but wasn't happy with either of them for different reasons and didn't think they were worth the money. It would need to be a soundcard though or anything that has an EQ with it. But since I'm getting very good results here in this Realtek chip and it seems to work great for gaming as long as speaker mode 5.1 is used, otherwise it may lack in positioning though but it does support Dolby Headphone but I don't like the muffled sound it brings (and since it lacks the channel configuration possibilites as you can with foobar2000 plugins I can't get good results out of the DH mode).

Your getting good results with the onboard?
Seems like you are having a bunch of crappy issues like noise, interference..lacks in positional audio and has muffled sound!?

I would advise finding a good source that will offer you the features you are after and won't give you all this hassle.
Your choice though.

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 20

Quote:
Your getting good results with the onboard?
Seems like you are having a bunch of crappy issues like noise, interference..lacks in positional audio and has muffled sound!?

I would advise finding a good source that will offer you the features you are after and won't give you all this hassle.
Your choice though.

No interference is the only issue from HDD activity and alike but positional audio is good when set to 5.1 speakers but I only hear that noise with very sensitive headphones and with M-Audio Q40 that are 64 ohm headphones it's almost inaudible and ofc even with the headphones it's audible it's only a problem where there's no music on. 

So yea except the noise I really like it though. I wouldn't mind trying another source but at least I know I don't want an ASUS card for the sake of the software and Titanium HD also was too much of a hassle to set up for every game with alchemy and what not and soundwise it didn't sound as neutral as I'd wanted (it had some slight warm tilt to it). Realtek I just need to use 5.1 speaker mode and soundstage/positioning is great for music & gaming. Skyrim that I'm playing right now sounds EXCELLENT positioning wise with 5.1 speakers.

But yea if you have any other good soundcard recommendations that would fit me then gladly recommend me but seems the options are rather limited and I'm very satisfied with the sound I'm getting from onboard Realtek chip, only software wise I wish the EQ could be more accurate but it's possibly slightly better than ASUS's EQ though but not near as good as Titanium HD's.

For the record, I don't like either CMSS3D or Dolby Headphone for gaming as to me it's too much of a sound quality impact. Using the trick to use 5.1 speaker mode with Headphones is the method I've found so far to bring me best results as it has no sound quality impact, more the opposite, it actually improves the soundstage a little (while listening to music and switching between stereo and 5.1 you can hear how the instrument separation and imaging improves and the sound is less "centered"/crammed towards the center).

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #19 of 20
Default Windows power management settings are only part of the deal. The CPU features themselves need to be disabled and Windows settings won't allow you to do that.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #20 of 20

Quote:
Default Windows power management settings are only part of the deal. The CPU features themselves need to be disabled and Windows settings won't allow you to do that.

Yea I've had those CPU power saving options disabled in BIOS since day one I got the CPU/Motherboard as I'm an overclocker and sometimes those may hurt stability. 

But currently it's not an issue with these headphones as it's not that sensitive and on the other headphones it's just noticable when using an amp which obviously amplifies that noise as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back