any disadvantages of passive preamps?
Feb 22, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #16 of 19
That sounds more reasonable now...

«Load impedance over 10 kOhm» refers to the (recommended) minimum input impedance of the power amp. So (unfortunately) the actual output impedance isn't indicated. From the 10 kOhm indication I guess it's not more than 1 kOhm. So the passive pre is still a valuable option.

peacesign.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #17 of 19
thanks for your effort, jazz!

another notation in the user-manual states "output level" of "2 Vrms (at 50 kilohms)"... don't know if that matters. would there be a possibility to measure the output impedance with a multimeter?

Feb 22, 2004 at 12:53 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by BrokenEnglish
another notation in the user-manual states "output level" of "2 Vrms (at 50 kilohms)"... don't know if that matters. would there be a possibility to measure the output impedance with a multimeter?

2 volt is the common output voltage of CD players (here referred to a common load impedance).

Yes, you can measure it. I still haven't done it myself, but the logical procedure would be like this: take a 100-kOhm resistor (or a similarly high value such as 50 to 200 kOhm) and connect it with + and - of one of the line-outs. Measure the voltage, having the measuring heads on both sides of the resistor, with a test tone from the CD, e.g. a 1-kHz sine wave, and note the resulting voltage value. Now switch any plausible resistors in series to the 100-kOhm resistor, e.g. 500 to 1000 ohm. The one with which the original voltage is halved indicates the output impedance.

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back