Any Civ IV fans out there?
Aug 14, 2010 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
I have just gotten way back into this game this summer, after forgetting about it for more than a year,  and I am just wondering if anyone on head-fi is still playing. 

Also, I apologize in advance if this restarts anyone's addiction.  ... just one more turn...until I take out monty... yeah, then I  will be done...

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 18
Here. At some point, I was playing a game a day (took about 2 hours), and I still am occasionally. I will probably stop playing it soon though: Civ V being just around the corner.

The Hexes are coming!

Aug 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 18
I've been playing fairly regularly this summer, and I am looking forward to Civ V.

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 18
WyldRage:
The Hexes are coming!

Yes! I can't wait. If only for one reason, stacks of doom can be so tedious. That is such a welcome innovation, should it cut down on the micromanagement. One other little improvement that has me excited, are that units automatically turn into transports. Transport management is another tedious chore, especially for a warmonger during the late games, like I. Hopefully navy combat will be more nuanced as well. Man, I'm stoked  for V!

Anyway, yeah I sitll play IV (BTS, bughunt, Prince) a lot. It's the only game I still play really. I also lurk Civfanatics quite a bit.

Aug 14, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 18
Yeah, I'm very glad to see that there won't be stacks, those were always a PITA. 

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 18
I enjoy playing Civ IV, though I don't think I'm very good at it, heh. It's hard to put down once you start a game, so I've been trying to keep away from it lately to focus on other things. I'm definitely hyped for Civ V, though I'm considering holding off on the purchase until Thanksgiving or Winter break so it doesn't interfere with school.
redface.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 18
I got Colonization as of late. Big fan of the older civ series but been away to long... the interface is so daunting I will probably just wait for the more streamlined CIV 5.

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 18
Awesome game. The only problem with it is that games get very intense and overly long. I remember some games I played with friends that took days to finish (with breaks, of course). But, that just shows the addictiveness of the game. I was so glad they implemented simultaneous turns in the multiplayer, b/c before Civ 4, turns took forever with large maps.

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 18
The trick for faster games is to disable unit animations.

Just played my best game yesterday. Noble difficulty, with Bismarck. Was close to both stone and marble, and with industrious, it meant that I got most wonders. Also got both Hindu and Judaism religions. Started building up to rush the Netherlands, when Stalin contacted me to surrender (vassalize)! With my back secured (he had the second strongest army) I conquered the Netherlands easily, with Hatsheput joining in halfway. Once the conquest was over, the very next turn she contacted me to surrender as well! Having the same religion really helps.

Got rid of the last civilization on the continent (Boudica) and had to wait for galleons to end the game (by vassalizing Carthage). 1695, a bit over 5000 score, for a finalized score of 96881 or so. Barely missed the 100 000 mark again.
mad.gif
Next time!

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
The trick for faster games is to disable unit animations.

Just played my best game yesterday. Noble difficulty, with Bismarck. Was close to both stone and marble, and with industrious, it meant that I got most wonders. Also got both Hindu and Judaism religions. Started building up to rush the Netherlands, when Stalin contacted me to surrender (vassalize)! With my back secured (he had the second strongest army) I conquered the Netherlands easily, with Hatsheput joining in halfway. Once the conquest was over, the very next turn she contacted me to surrender as well! Having the same religion really helps.

Got rid of the last civilization on the continent (Boudica) and had to wait for galleons to end the game (by vassalizing Carthage). 1695, a bit over 5000 score, for a finalized score of 96881 or so. Barely missed the 100 000 mark again.
mad.gif
Next time!

That's some nice playing. I don't think I'm quite that good
biggrin.gif
. But, when I play with friends, we get a little sidetracked sometimes
tongue_smile.gif
, so turns end up taking longer. Either way, though, it's really good fun and a nice social gathering. It's a fun way to find out other people's interests and personalities, too
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 18
There's a Civ V coming - fantastic!

My only criticism of Civ IV is that once I start playing a game I'm totally immersed and forget about everything else in the world around me. So yes it is more addictive than crack...

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #12 of 18
I love these kinds of strategy games, though I'm pretty bad at them.  I usually have the difficulty set fairly to pretty much the average on most games like this.  I think I enjoy the process more than the challenge most of the time.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 18
KnightK:
That's some nice playing. I don't think I'm quite that good
wink.gif

Equus:
I love these kinds of strategy games, though I'm pretty bad at them.

Civfanatics people! Seriously, if you haven't posted or lurked there, do it now! I always have to pimp it, since myself, was helped so much there.

--

Not directed at you two, but I always like tell newish guys the same thing. Specialize cites - have at least two financial for each production - and don't chase wonders. I see this common mistake all the time. Let your neighbor build the pyramids. Instead, build an army to take that city from him. Also early game learn to whip and whip 'em good. Sacrifice population often early, when cities grow fast.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #14 of 18
hope you have seen those one more turn commercials. Those are hilarious.

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
There's a Civ V coming - fantastic!

My only criticism of Civ IV is that once I start playing a game I'm totally immersed and forget about everything else in the world around me. So yes it is more addictive than crack...

One more turn.......*couple hours later*.....just till this technology is researched!........*couple hours later*.......ect ect :p

Turn based singleplayer games like civilization and football manager tend to do that ye :D 

Cant wait for hexagon gameplay, loved panzer generals! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back