Any advice on fixing a UM pin-to-socket issue? Left earpiece socket won't allow pins to be inserted completely (flush, not recessed sockets)
Jul 22, 2012 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

doublea71

Headphoneus Supremus
My retailer who I ordered through told me to file the pins down, but after spending $200 on a re-shell, should I have to? "Here are your customs, now go fix them." I don't think so. Right side is perfect...

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 5
I haven't yet told my shop that I intend to use the warranty to have it fixed. The guy at my shop suggested that I file the pins down and didn't think it was that big of a deal. I'll get in touch with him and then he can contact UM on my behalf. I do plan on getting some custom cables, so I expect nothing less than a complete, snug, and secure connection. I can't imagine there will be a problem once I put things in motion, just some more waiting for me, which isn't a big headache at all.

Jul 22, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I haven't yet told my shop that I intend to use the warranty to have it fixed. The guy at my shop suggested that I file the pins down and didn't think it was that big of a deal. I'll get in touch with him and then he can contact UM on my behalf. I do plan on getting some custom cables, so I expect nothing less than a complete, snug, and secure connection. I can't imagine there will be a problem once I put things in motion, just some more waiting for me, which isn't a big headache at all.

Who was the shop? Just so I know for the future... :wink:

Jul 22, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 5
They're actually a really good shop (the only good shop) here in Saigon - Kool Audiophiles. I don't think they were trying to do anything underhanded, probably were thinking about me not having to wait several weeks - the owner has a lot of DIY experience, so something like this might not seem like a big deal to him.  Filing the pins was his first suggestion, but I'll let him know that I want to send them back and I'm sure he won't think that's a big deal either. He took my impressions and did a great job, so I have nothing but good things to say about this shop - they are an oasis of authentic gear and know-how in a country full of knock-offs. I've been contemplating penning an article about this great little shop for one of the monthly English-language magazines just to get the word out to the sizable ex-pat population.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back