Antique Sound Lab MG Head DT / OTL MK III Headphone Amp
Feb 9, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #31 of 79
on divertech they say:

New! MkIII version, now even better! All tube SET design with OTL/transformer coupled out puts. Upgraded circuit and outboard power supply.

so the circuit has been upgraded too.

about the better sound i don't know, but even a better PSU can make some difference

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #33 of 79
The sagging US dollar probably.

But I love my OTL Mk III. I re-tubed with Electro-Harmonix EL84's and 12AX7's - awesome sound. It's definitely lush, but also dynamic and powerful. Very fun to listen to. When these come available used, they are quite the bargain. They're certainly worth $500 new IMO.

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #34 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sagging US dollar probably.

But I love my OTL Mk III. I re-tubed with Electro-Harmonix EL84's and 12AX7's - awesome sound. It's definitely lush, but also dynamic and powerful. Very fun to listen to. When these come available used, they are quite the bargain. They're certainly worth $500 new IMO.

Hi Skylab!

I just bought the AKG K701, an now I`m looking for an heaphoneamp.

How would you describe the differences between Opera and OTL MkIII?

Do OTL have enough power to drive my 701?
(I like the look of the OTL)

(sorry about my bad english.......
frown.gif
)

johna

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #35 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by johna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Skylab!

I just bought the AKG K701, an now I`m looking for an heaphoneamp.

How would you describe the differences between Opera and OTL MkIII?

Do OTL have enough power to drive my 701?
(I like the look of the OTL)

(sorry about my bad english.......
frown.gif
)

johna

Mg head in OTL mode definitely haven't the power to properly drive a K701...
you have to use the transformer output mode, but i don't really like the sound of the k701 with this amp, even if it is still very pleasant.
i think you need something much stronger in the bass area, and more dynamic than the Mg head

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #36 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasyrkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have to use the transformer output mode, but i don't really like the sound of the k701 with this amp, even if it is still very pleasant.
i think you need something much stronger in the bass area, and more dynamic than the Mg head

Could you please describe what you don`t like with the sound in that combination (701/Mg OTL)

Do you have any suggestions for an amp to my 701?
(max 400dollar)
I like good and tight bass, airy midrange and treble.
(hate slow bass
cool.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #37 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasyrkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmmm...I didn't mind the K701 and the MG Head. The K701 sounds better with the Opera, though. But I liked the K701 with the MG Head in transformer mode.

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #38 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by johna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you please describe what you don`t like with the sound in that combination (701/Mg OTL)

Do you have any suggestions for an amp to my 701?
(max 400dollar)
I like good and tight bass, airy midrange and treble.
(hate slow bass
cool.gif

well, it's not the combination that i don't like, but the headphone. not enough bass impact and slightly piercing trable and dry midrange...and the mg head is very warm and with good solid bass.

i don't know how it sounds with other amps, i tried it only with Mg head and onkyo receiver, so i can't tell you a good amp sorry. but i can tell you that some friends of mine found the combo k701+earmax pro very very pleasant...but don't know how it compares with the mg head!

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #39 of 79
HMM...did some thread digging and finally found this...

Well, I'm just beginning to get into audio and someone from my local community was offering his for $300. The machine is less than 6 months old and he has included a pair of matched NOS Mullard EL84s and a cryotreated RCA preamp tube + non-treated RCA and GE preamp tubes for my rolling pleasure. Do you guys think this would be a good deal?

I was wondering if anyone can provide any general comments regarding this amp compared to other amps within the price range. I listen out of my TX FM and I'm using my SR-80, and I'm waiting for an RS-1. I had a listen to it from a good CAL CD player and it sounded fantastic. How does this sound when mated with the RS-1? Would this be capable of driving both an RS-1 and an SR-80 simultaneously? I plan to do a fair bit of listening with my girlfriend, and one of the big things I like about the amp is that it's got 2 outputs.

Also, can someone give a little more in-depth discussion regarding the 2 different operating modes in general? From my personal experiences, I think that the transformer mode with the SR-80 sounds clearer, whereas the OTL mode sounds a little smoother but cuts out a lot of the music, almost as if it's extracting the vocals from the music.

Thanks,
Alex

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #40 of 79
QUOTE I was wondering if anyone can provide any general comments regarding this amp compared to other amps within the price range.

Here is my recent comparison with the ASL ranking:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229933

This amp has great synergy in OTL mode with the Senn 650's that you have to hear to beleive, it is quite good.

Mar 19, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #41 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by asskicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would this be capable of driving both an RS-1 and an SR-80 simultaneously?

yes but at very very low volumes.

Quote:

Also, can someone give a little more in-depth discussion regarding the 2 different operating modes in general? From my personal experiences, I think that the transformer mode with the SR-80 sounds clearer, whereas the OTL mode sounds a little smoother but cuts out a lot of the music, almost as if it's extracting the vocals from the music.

cuts out a lots of music?! totally wrong.

the difference between the two modes is the capabilty to driver low and high imp. cans and the frequency response.
OTL has a fatter lowmid/midrange and stronger bass, and works better with high imp. cans, it has a very lush sound, very liquid.
T.O. has a leaner bottom end,with a slightly less lush sound compared to the OTL, and with the midrange/uppermidrange more in evidence. it works for the low imp. cans.

so if you want enough power and a good control of the drivers(expecially for the bass), you should use low imp cans in TO mode...while you should use high imp cans in OTL.
obviously there are exeptions, for example hd6x0 works very well in TO mode too, even at high volumes, and grados works quite well in OTL mode too.
k701 in OTL works bad, you will get distortion at medium/high volumes becaus it needs much power

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #42 of 79
D'Oh! So much for wanting to share my new found passion with my girlfriend.

Well, what I was saying was that, in OTL mode, everything is quieter, but less so for the vocal parts and thus bringing the vocals above the rest of the music. It could just be that the artist's voice just so happens to be in the hump (even though it's quite unlikely). These are my observations with the MG Head/SR80 combo.

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #43 of 79
I confess I don't really use the OTL mode on my ASL amp, since it would struggle with the 600 Ohm cans I use with it.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #44 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by asskicker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D'Oh! So much for wanting to share my new found passion with my girlfriend.

Well, what I was saying was that, in OTL mode, everything is quieter, but less so for the vocal parts and thus bringing the vocals above the rest of the music. It could just be that the artist's voice just so happens to be in the hump (even though it's quite unlikely). These are my observations with the MG Head/SR80 combo.

i see, still i have to say that it should be the exact opposite, beeing the midrange more forward in the TO mode. i'll listen carefully to see this thing, are you tlking about male or female voices?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back