Anthony Gallo Reference 3 Setup
Mar 13, 2009 at 1:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

number1sixerfan

Headphoneus Supremus
I've decided that this will be the floorstanding speakers I will get. Originally, I was set on something cheaper, but I want to buy a pair of speakers and be done with it for at least the next 5 years. I learned that from owning nice bookshelves previously. Speakers are much harder to trade and sell than headphones. lol

First off, the room they will be going in is a 11.2 ft x 17.2 ft living room. Is this extreme overkill for this room? I will probably be at this location for the next two years. As I said before, I want to get them and keep them for a while. It isn't a problem if I can't crank them up all the way.

Second, I need an integrated amp for them. I know for a fact that I want to go tube. Here are the specs:

Frequency Response: 34Hz - 35kHz +/- 3dB
Frequency Response (active bass): 22Hz - 35kHz +/- 3dB
Impedance top terminal : 4 - 8 ohms
Impedance lower terminal: 4 ohms
Sensitivity: 88 dB/1 watt/1 meter
Power Handling: 350 watts RMS

Here are the options I currently am thinking about:

1) Jolida 1000RC - This is the most I would like to spend, but would prefer to spend less. However, this amp looks very nice indeed.

2) Jolida 1501RC - I have previously owned this one. Not sure if 50w/pc is enough for these speakers though.

3) Cayin A50T - Great reviews. Also worried about the wattage, 35w/pc.

I'm leaning towards the 1000RC because of the tube options and the reviews. Even for $2000, there is a consensus from the owners that it is a real bargain. After owning the 1501RC, I believe it can definitely be true.

Third, I would like to use Lossless files from the pc because I cannot live without the convenience of computer audio. Any suggestions on how to go about this? I'm thinking a wifi Squeezbox feeding a standalone dac. Budget for the source will be $1000.

My idea is that I can upgrade the amp/source later more easily than the speakers. Still, I want to make sure the speakers are powered to their potential. Thanks in advance.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 35
No the speakers aren't even close to being too much for that room. Make sure to address your first and second reflection points.

I would bypass all of the above amp choices and instead go with a VTL IT85. It mates up extremely well with the Gallo's. They go used in mint shape at Agon every now and then.

As far as source goes, look for something that sounds musical, rather than analytical.

Good luck!

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 35
Your plan is very well thought out. I love the Gallos and would buy them if I had the room. Just as with any speakers, placement and room acoustics will be as important as the electronics.
My favorite amps for them are Quicksilver V4 mono blocks with a Conrad-Johnson preamp but these would be 3x the price of the Jolida. I've only heard the Jolida briefly, but FWIR you wouldn't be insulting the Gallos by using it.
The VTL IT85 is a genuine bargain if you like a warm sound.
Unfortunately I can't speak to your source since I'm primarily an analogue user.

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 35
Bryston ST series used is a great buy in an amp. I see 3BST's on Ebay for like $500 all the time.
Thats my favorite speaker.......period!
Lucky you!!!

Or maybe check out the Prima Luna mono blocks?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your plan is very well thought out. I love the Gallos and would buy them if I had the room. Just as with any speakers, placement and room acoustics will be as important as the electronics.
My favorite amps for them are Quicksilver V4 mono blocks with a Conrad-Johnson preamp but these would be 3x the price of the Jolida. I've only heard the Jolida briefly, but FWIR you wouldn't be insulting the Gallos by using it.
The VTL IT85 is a genuine bargain if you like a warm sound.
Unfortunately I can't speak to your source since I'm primarily an analogue user.

Which Jolida did you hear them with?

And thanks everyone for the responses. Figuring out which integrated to go for is tough, there are so many options.

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Jolida did you hear them with?

And thanks everyone for the responses. Figuring out which integrated to go for is tough, there are so many options.

801a.

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 35
Mar 15, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 35
Just signed a new lease. Turns out that I will be living right across from the complex manager. I wonder if this is still a good idea. lol

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just signed a new lease. Turns out that I will be living right across from the complex manager. I wonder if this is still a good idea. lol

Only if he appreciates a good system and likes the same music you do.
biggrin.gif

Otherwise near field monitors?

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by NightOwl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only if he appreciates a good system and likes the same music you do.
biggrin.gif

Otherwise near field monitors?

Well, its two of them and they are females. I doubt they have the same taste as I. lol

When I signed the lease, I asked the assistant how thick the walls were and how the sound travels. She said that she can hear the guy across from her loud and clear. That was discouraging, but I'm thinking I should still do it.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 35
Dew eet!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #14 of 35
Hope it works out for you. I've not been so lucky with my neighbor who has already complained twice. I barely even see the woofer moving at the levels I am now forced to listen to. I cant feel much bass either. Its just background music now. Sigh....

As for source, I'd say DAC1 is a good option. Falls perfectly in your budget and has USB as well.

I havent compared the Stello DA100 to the Cambridge Dacmagic however so I cant recommend the DA100 over the Dacmagic. But at <500$ the Dacmagic has a lot of connectivity options and sounds great with speakers.

Maybe you are better off using the 500$ you save on something else. Maybe some acoustic dampening on the walls?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #15 of 35
Yeah, I have to worry about neighbors now too. I recently moved from a house into a condo. I had to sell off my main sytem because it wouldn't fit and now listen to headphones most of the time.
Funny, I can't hear my neighbors and the walls are thick, but they swear that they can hear my stereo. That's what you get when you move into a building with old farts who have too much time on their hands.
Hmmm. Actually they're probably around my age.
frown.gif

Do it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back