another version of the truth
Feb 21, 2007 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jsilas

New Head-Fier

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #2 of 21
What does your chosen image have to do with the linked website?

(Btw, you should have indicated to click and drag the mouse on that website's image so that people get the intended point).

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 21
dig deeper and you will be enlightened as i have been
to understand the opposition listen to one whos seen it first hand
2163331810.jpg

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 21
hey, i know that area code! that's right outside of cleveland! are you telling me aliens live in cleveland? well, maybe in the Flats.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 21
this is i think trent reznor's viral ad campaign for his new nine inch nails cd.

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is i think trent reznor's viral ad campaign for his new nine inch nails cd.

Well done, you saw through me FAR quicker than anyone else has been able to.

I'm loving this viral marketing that Trent is using; the whole story is extraordinarily elaborate; work began on this as far as 3 years ago.

The whole story can be broken down by reading this:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbb...er=asc&start=0

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, found this with more info on that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Zero_(album)

My thoughts: bleh
tongue.gif

haha, i have to say, viral marketing is one of the most unhip ways of trying to be hip. unless you are SO hip that you'll intentionally be that unhip to outhip the hipsters that think it's unhip!

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #9 of 21
I like how tracks from the new album are getting left on USB sticks in various public places (the bathrooms at concerts, etc.). That's kind of a fun way to leak the tracks, rather than just have some pirate post them online -- which would happen anyway, so this preempts them. The viral marketing concept seems a little overblown. It would be better if the band was doing it, rather than a marketing company. But at least it's an interesting concept.

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be better if the band was doing it, rather than a marketing company.

I couldn't agree more here.

Also, because of the generous amount of hype generated by these schemes, their effects are very widespread, which makes the 'uniqueness' of such a campaign easily lost.

After the ilovebees campaign, the msn found campaign, and various others, it's just not that interesting anymore.

Either way, I still have found this particular thing pretty interesting.

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, i have to say, viral marketing is one of the most unhip ways of trying to be hip. unless you are SO hip that you'll intentionally be that unhip to outhip the hipsters that think it's unhip!

Brilliant!

Feb 21, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow that phrase outclasses "How much wood would a woodchuck chuck..."
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsilas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well done, you saw through me FAR quicker than anyone else has been able to.

I'm loving this viral marketing that Trent is using; the whole story is extraordinarily elaborate; work began on this as far as 3 years ago.

The whole story can be broken down by reading this:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbb...er=asc&start=0

i have my finger on the pulse of the intertoobs.

Feb 21, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

The last few seconds of the leaked "My Violent Heart" file is static; spectrogram analysis reveals an image resembling an arm extending down with fingers at the bottom. This arm is known as "The Presence" according to MTV.com. [12]

i don't know about you guys, but i find that extremely clever

Users who are viewing this thread

Back