another tube amp falls into my lap
Jan 4, 2009 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

terriblepaulz

1000+ Head-Fier
I am lucky to have recently done business with a guy who learned I was into headphones (we both own 325s). He is a retired engineer, gearhead, DIY guy etc. He's into vintage electronics, esp. tube gear. About 3 months ago he dropped off a tube amp that he had quickly thrown together from some stuff in his workshop. He admitted it hummed. It did. He told me he would solve the problem by building another amp using better stuff (apparently he collects a lot of vintage electronics). He also asked me a bunch of questions for specs.

A few days ago he dropped off the new iteration. He told me the design is based on one by Eric Barbour from an old issue of Vacuum Tube Valley Magazine. It has a gain stage using two 6SN7s (in this case matched NOS GEs w/ side getters), and a single 6BX7 for output (NOS Sylvania tall bottle). There are 2 5W output transformers, presumably for the speaker binding posts he installed (for a future upgrade of the office system). He put a 24 step volume pot, and a 4 step gain switch (actually an attenuator on the gain stage, set at -30db, -20db, -10db, and 0). He also dropped off some schematics which I don't understand.

I took some pics which I hope to post soon. The guts look a little inelegant but efficient. I really have no idea of the quality of the parts or their implementation, and I am not quite sure I can appreciate what I have here, but I am having a blast. This amp is significantly quieter than the first, but there are still two noise floor issues. There is a hum (impercebtible with the Beyers, barely perceptible with the Grados, and only slightly more so with Vibes). There is also a hiss, but only perceptible at the highest gain setting at max volume with the Grados.

I have not started tube rolling yet (he dropped of a small sample of NOS tubes from his collection), but look forward to exploring. I am pretty sure what I am enjoying so much is the "tubey" sound of this amp. Any comments from the peanut gallery? I know - pics pics pics. I'll get to it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Jan 4, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 23
Wow...you have great friends!
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wait to see the pics...

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 23
Sure looks like a clean build. Nice!
Great friend!
smile.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 23
Nice...I dunno what you mean about the insides though. I don't want to mention any names of any manufacturers, but it looks a lot better than some stuff that I've seen that's pretty highly regarded.

Nice work...you have a nice friend.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice...I dunno what you mean about the insides though. I don't want to mention any names of any manufacturers, but it looks a lot better than some stuff that I've seen that's pretty highly regarded.

Nice work...you have a nice friend.
smily_headphones1.gif

I was being cautious. The only "inelegant" thing is the dabs of bluish cement or putty. I am blown away so far by the sound of this amp with all my cans (even Portapros
biggrin.gif
).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations!
That's a nice amp.
A bit more than nice even, as far as I can see.
He's done this before.
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah, I am beginning to get that feeling. My guy has a great affection for all things vintage electronics.

Some questions to the tube-heads:

Are there any other amps or designs that use a similar tube configuration?

Any 6SN7 recommendations?

My guy gave me a 6BL7 to roll for the output. What should I expect in contrast to the 6BX7? Any recommendations for either of these tubes?

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the house next door for sale?

?

Jan 4, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
?

Anybody who lives in a neighborhood where free amps are raining down, is living in a neighborhood where I want to live!

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody who lives in a neighborhood where free amps are raining down, is living in a neighborhood where I want to live!

As the owner of a 15 ft Grado extension cord. My thoughts that you were go to gang a few together and run them through window to "borrow" the amp! Ha Ha.

B
atsmile.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #14 of 23
That's a nice-looking amp! Have you hooked a pair of speakers to it yet?

Innards look good, too. All point-to-point and cleanly built.

If you like Barbour's amps, there are plans for an OTL headphone amp by him over at Headwize.

As for tuberolling, well, if you like the sound why change? There are differences between tubes, but it's more like ordering the same meal at a restaurant a few weeks apart. Never quite the same twice, but you can enjoy it every time. I keep tubes around mostly as spares - I prefer to add music or different headphones to hunting NOS rarities.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bikeboy999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the owner of a 15 ft Grado extension cord. My thoughts that you were go to gang a few together and run them through window to "borrow" the amp! Ha Ha.

B
atsmile.gif

Believe me, once I moved in....

I wonder if he has Cable TV?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back