Another "Someone thought my headphones were speakers" thread - sheesh!!!
Feb 13, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Anyone who is willing to use their brain and ears should be aware that a pair of headphones being driven over-loud and listened to from a distance will sound something awful. And they should stop there!

It's amusing how many idiots will keep on increasing the volume.

Funny, several others have posted how they've done very similar things, even though they "should know better", vs someone who apparently had no idea what your setup was like, so a statement like the above seems very unfounded. Esp when you consider the setup (heck, most cheezeball Dell speakers probably sound worse than the 650's as a speaker, so how the heck was she supposed to know?). This attitude, and those of some of the responders is quite appalling.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Or take her car, floor the gas, and then suddenly put it in gear.

And how many newby drivers do exactly this?

Zorander, it seems to me that you are blameing someone else because YOU didn't take the time to show someone how to properly use YOUR system. After all, you sat her down in front of it and apparently left her to her own devices. If she had just wandered up and started screwing with stuff, then fine, she needs to respect other peoples property, but not the case here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
I took my 650s with me to school the other day and the guy behind me actually thought that behind the grills were speakers on each side. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Err, behind the grills are acoustic drivers in an enclosure, sounds a lot like a "speaker" to me? Even (or esp) when on your head, open headphones act like "speakers" to those around you right?

Again, the "attitude" gets a bit thick here at times.

Sorry, grumpy this morning I guess.

Feb 13, 2006 at 1:38 PM Post #17 of 62
bitWrangler,

The stereo speakers I mentioned in my prior post are not just any multimedia speakers. They are full-sized and she has heard them often enough to know they don't sound like transistor radios. The Senn were forcibly driven and sounded like one - it did not sound 'normal' and she should have been aware of that.

Also, I did not exactly sit her down there. She just happened to be in the room and seeing that my computer was unlocked, she proceeded to use it to surf the net. I do not mind that of course, but I did not expect her to be stupid enough to do something like this. If she did not know how to turn on the stereo, she could have asked me. But I am sure she did not care and simply reached for the closest volume control (which is the Headamp - placed beside the monitor) and cranked it up until she reached the desired volume. Believe it or not, the volume pot was turned near the maximum!

As I said previously, anyone willing to use their ears and brain should at least be able to tell that the sound is coming from the phones nearby, not from a set of speakers much further away.

Feb 13, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #18 of 62
Maybe she didn't notice the Senns because of the veil?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #21 of 62
It gets me how many people listen to music really loud. I always wonder how loud I listen and then let a mate of mine listen to my DT880s through my Aria. Now I generally never go past half way on the volume control and even then think it sounds a bit loud and want to go lower.... however he was only "just happy" with it full blast!!

Tried my MS1 (with this I hardly ever go past quarter volume) and he just turned it up to three quarters to get the volume he wanted.

I still worry (from time to time) about how loud I listen to music however I now worry more for my friends ears!

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #22 of 62
Quote:

And when I warned her that she could have damaged the 'expensive-looking headphones' (as she put it), she just blinked and said unaffectedly, "Oh really?"

I really should have just screamed instead of acting unreasonably patient!!!!!

Edit: Apparently she did get upset by my explanation. I am now regretting trying to even explain a thing to her - what an awkward situation.

Edit 2: She did not realise it was the headphones that she was eeking out the volumes from, instead of the set of speakers much further away. It's a wonder how she could confuse the sound coming from the phones near her with the far-away speakers.

Would anyone notice if you just shot her and buried the body in the desert? I, for one, would thank you for increasing mankind's average IQ.

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 62
It takes a lot of power to blow a headphone voice coil generally speaking. When I blew my EX51 coil it (the headphone body shell) was physically warm to the touch for a good 2-3 hours before it finally blew.
Garrett

Feb 14, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #24 of 62
Quote:

Someone wanted to watch some streaming videos on my computer and turned up my head-amp volume to the max, thinking she was turning up the speakers volume. I was outside in the lounge room when I heard what sounded like a transistor radio (and I know there is none in my room). Rushing inside, I found my HD-650 blasting away beside the ignorant person!!! Fortunately I heard it within the first few seconds so the headphones are saved. I shudder to think what would have happened had I been listening to another phone outside.

I now understand the feelings (and exasperation) of those who had been through similar daunting experience. Sheesh! My hands are still trembling from what could have been.

Ahh, I feel your pain. Hooked up my PX-200s to my comp listened for about an hour and then I left to get something to eat. I come back and my sister turned it up all the way, but she wasn't even listening to music. She was listening to the annoying "ding ding" sound that you get when you get a message. Damn was I annoyed. She also made it sound like she was proud of it. Hehhehe, I'll know for next time to unplug my headphones from my computer when theres stupid people in my house. Hehhehe.

Feb 14, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #25 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Tran
Ahh, I feel your pain. Hooked up my PX-200s to my comp listened for about an hour and then I left to get something to eat. I come back and my sister turned it up all the way, but she wasn't even listening to music. She was listening to the annoying "ding ding" sound that you get when you get a message. Damn was I annoyed. She also made it sound like she was proud of it. Hehhehe, I'll know for next time to unplug my headphones from my computer when theres stupid people in my house. Hehhehe.

Crazy Frog killed my Senns!
eek.gif
(Time for a pair of PortaPros...
wink.gif
)

Feb 14, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #26 of 62
Are headphone drivers a lot more resilient than normal speaker drivers? A clipping amp will quickly damage tweeters, but headphones don't have a seperate high frequency driver... I would be super pissed off at what happened...

only a woman...

Feb 14, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #28 of 62
Well, I have heard that Ray Samuels listens to his HD600s at a volume far beyond the tolerance of most men.

Feb 14, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #29 of 62
We'll that reminds me, I had my dumbass cousin visit me some time ago.
He was trying to play a cassette tape on my stereo.

The stereo receiver was currently using the CD player as the input signal.

He put the volume knob all the way up to MAX and then was wondering why there wasn't any sound. Oh, and then he saw the input selector and he changed it to "tape."

For a few seconds after he changed it, music blasted so loud and I was sleeping and it made me jump a foot of two out of my bed.

Fortunately my speakers had fuses that were blown by that.
But that what happens when other people mess around with your toys when you are not around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back