ANOTHER new member of team CD3K says Hi...
Feb 18, 2004 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Chisum

Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

while I'm visiting this forum (and headwize.com) for quite a long time now, I was always too lazy to post a thread...

Well, being a proud owner of a brandnew CD3000 for almost 2 weeks now, I cannot stand still anymore
tongue.gif
. Because YOU, you damn guys at headwize and headfi, are responsible for my empty wallet...
wink.gif
(I shouldn't complain about that, as everybody here knows...)

My headphone journey began 4 years ago, when I moved together with my girlfriend. Unfortunately, something we didn't (don't) have in common, is my love for HEAVY METAL music
very_evil_smiley.gif
, so I was "forced" to buy some cans... Without having heard anything about headphone amplifiers, or knowing anything about open/closed design at all, I bought a Beyer DT831 because I liked the design and the sound when auditioning at the "Media Markt" (some kind of consumer electronics super market in Germany)
rolleyes.gif

Concerning my "dumbassness" at this point, I still think it wasn't a bad choice at all... But then I started to search the internet about headphones and stuff... and the misery began... Well, not much later I realized that I would need a headphone amplifier, and got an Amity HPA6, which I still like a lot for it's detailed, dynamic and "punchy" sound. Then I needed to upgrade the source (bought NAD C542), found that the DT831s are far too bright for my tastes and decided that I need to get another phone (DT880), realized that an open design was not good for my relationship with my girlfriend (and therefore not good for my health)
wink.gif

And finally, I purchased a new CD3000 for a very good price (300 Euro). I think it fits perfectly with my music taste, my source/amp and my relationship
3000smile.gif
The only thing I miss from the Beyers is the deeeeeep bass, that the CD3000 cannot reach. On the other hand, it offers supreme upper bass and midrange performance.

But I sweared to myself to STOP NOW (at least for a while)... So cheers to all you guys here, who helped me building an opinion about this and that, and offered me quite some time of pleasant reading...

Chisum

Feb 18, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 17
Congrats on your purchase. Now all you have to worry about is your girlfriend leaving you because of the huge funny looking grey bulbs that your ears turned into.

When I used to have the CD3000s, my one roommate started to laugh uncontrollably any time he tried to have a conversation with me while I had them on. ^_^

Feb 18, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 17
IF you want bass out of the CD3000, get a PPA and bassboost will give you all you want.....

Feb 18, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 17
... for your replies, but I'm not really thinking about getting a new amp (well, not yet
rolleyes.gif
).

I know that Amity is not very well known to the community; not even in Germany (btw. they go some fantastic reviews in STEREOPLAY magazine). But I'm really satisfied with the sound, it delivers LOTS of bass with the CD3000. Also, the cans don't sound bright at all to me, not at all. The sound is very well balanced, clear and punchy. I still think that the Sonys just don't go quite as deep as the DT880's... but overall I still like the bass very much!

Greets

Chisum

Feb 18, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
PPA => Headphone Amplifier

http://www.jmtaudio.com
http://www.laroccoaudio.com

Two builders that make some of the best PPA around..

I vote for Voodoochile......no problems so far with any, mine is running like a charm with a LINEAR power supply....

Feb 18, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by strohmie

When I used to have the CD3000s, my one roommate started to laugh uncontrollably any time he tried to have a conversation with me while I had them on. ^_^

Yeah, I get that when wearing my K1000's.

-Ed

Feb 19, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Chisum
But I sweared to myself to STOP NOW (at least for a while)...

Just a little while, I hope! But congratulations, and we look forward to hearing more as your experience with these headphones grows.

Feb 19, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
PPA => Headphone Amplifier

http://www.jmtaudio.com
http://www.laroccoaudio.com

Two builders that make some of the best PPA around..

I vote for Voodoochile......no problems so far with any, mine is running like a charm with a LINEAR power supply....

I can't compare it with the DT880, as I never ehard it, but I did the DT770, the CD3000 could go even deeper than the DT770, and this is A LOT OF BASS, A LOT!!!!!!! to be more pronounced does not mean a better or a deeper bass, I have feel with the CD3000 what I feel with my subwoofer, a very strong feeling of impact....

Feb 19, 2004 at 8:46 AM Post #15 of 17
A while back there was a frenzy of ppl selling off their CD3K. I guess all of them CD3Ks found their home. Welcome and enjoy them CD3Ks. If you treat them good, they will do. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back