another META42
Sep 30, 2002 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Voodoochile

Supafly & The Funky Pimps
Hello to anyone checking in, yes, I'm new here.

I recently finished a META42 (ummm... I'm still boxing it up, actually), and I'd like to make a few acknowledgements here.

Thanks to the Head-Fi and HeadWize forums for info gleaned from the many searches I performed beforehand... it was a big help in areas where choices are to be made. I have made some tweaks, but having a solid starting point is a big help.

Thanks to Tangent for his persistence in responding to my many emails regarding fiddling questions about the parts choices. I have not been in DIY mode since high school... just over 20 years now. His website seems to be pimped like crazy anyway, but here's another plug for it. I also built a Cmoy before staring the MEAT42. In fact, I made two of them, The second CMoy is mainly a test-bed for checking out various op amps. Although I do believe I could have done it without the help, the road would have been MUCH longer, and not very smooth, as it was
frown.gif

A few sparse details about the amp before I go back to work: it is configured in Jung multiloop, with the cascode current source via Tangent. Presently, single 2001s, but I have another pair of 2001s for parallelling (is that a word?), as well as four 2002s. The amp was tested out with a single 9v, then a pair of 9v in series, and now is running off a regulated 15v (+/-7.5) internal supply. Internal as in almost living inside the Hammond case (2x4x4 approx). I'm still working out the fitting of the PSU. No room to mount the transformer via PCB, so I drilled the blind munting hole through, and have it on it's back, bolted with a locknut to the floor, and will wire it direct. The bridge is also fastened directly to the transformer, and then leads route to a narrow board alongside the META with the regulator and bypass caps. It is a filtered single-supply, feeding 15v to the META... which uses it's own railsplitter/buffer to drive the virt. ground. It's beautifully quiet on the bench, so I'm hoping for no surprises in the case. I might quite possibly be the only person to use the bright version of the Hammond case vs. the black one.

I'm presently listening to the AD 823, and also favor the BB 627s. This may well change with the addition of stacking another buffer on the output. Gain is set at 11 overall. I'm looking forward to wrapping this up so I can just listen, and hopefully stop tweaking (at least for a few weeks). It's all too easy to get wrapped up in tiny adjustments after too little listening time.

To wrap it up, I just want to thank eveyone in general who contributes constructively here. The support has drawn me back into the DIY aspect of this hobby, and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself! The satisfaction of listening is so much greater when you have made a hands-on contribution to the equipment fabrication.

Thanks you all!

Oct 1, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 40
Welcome to Head-Fi. You are now expected to hang out here, regularly, and contribute to this community! Beside the fact that there is tons of good info being swapped here, it is also full of the best people I have found anywhere on the internet. Enjoy!

(now to the subject at hand) is your meta going to be line powered or portable (or both). What coupling caps did you chose for the inpuit?

Oct 1, 2002 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 40
Well once again i get no Credit for one of My Yes My Designs. I introduced this fourm to the Cocept of Buffering opamps and Biasing Opamps into Class A with Jfet curent sources as well as Helping lots of folks hear with this concept. Our Old frend apapheared was the only Person to give proper Credit. Evean Tangent only gives Tolken Mention and Now I see artness is giong to offer a META42 maby he might find within him self to give more than a not of thanks to who Designd this Amp While A number of others came up with the Board layout all the Consepts including the cascode curent source as well as the overall Topology Was designed by Me and walt Jung. I hate to hear from Frends that visit this site telling my Hay that looks like one of your Amp designs, "Typical Libberal Give away the Store and not evean get a Thanks, Others are making Money off what you put Effort into are you? want to Change Parties yet." My response was no. My kind and Helping nature like to do good for the world. However most do godders at least get reconition for there efforts.
I gess ill design a new round of Amps set up a web site like others hear and sell Compleat Amps. My time on this earth is drawing to a close and having spent my Life Designing Things for Others and being helpfull with no reconition is leaving a bad taste in my mouth about being Kind and helpfull.

Oct 1, 2002 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 40
Hi Budgie: Line powered, at least for now. The case is pretty tight with the internal power supply. I used Panasonic 1uF polypro coupling caps. Yes, I had to do a little creative lead shaping to fit them, but nothing too weird. My C4s are Wima 10uF, no C5s, and the last two resistor positions are jumpered, BTW.

PPL: Sorry not to mention you by name. Considering your massive contribution here, you do certainly deserve more than that! My bad.

As a matter of fact, I did mention thanks to you by name in an email to Tangent (prior to registering here formally), as well as eric/morsel/apheared. (you should ask Warren about this, seriously). I love the amp. Pretty much all the posts regarding buffering are PPL-centered, and most info on biasing into class-a as well. I have been lurking forever. Thanks for your invaluable input. I knew I was going to miss something, and I apologize for that.

On a sidenote, I'm interested in another amp with BUF634-buffered OPA627s. I won't drift off-topic here, but when I get my things together, I'll post a new thread about this.

Pictures will come shortly.

Oct 1, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 40
Thanks for your hard work, ppl. I'm sure there are many like me who have benefited from, and appreciate, your contributions to the DIY community, but who have not expressed their gratitude.

Oct 1, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 40
ppl:

In my book, 'You are the man!!' Sure others contributed to the making of the META, but without you I doubt the META would have reached the level that it has. I for one, am very appreciative of your contributions to this effort. Your insight on opamps, buffers, etc. has improved my projects considerably. For that, I am very grateful.

Thanks, ppl.

Oct 1, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 40
Thanks guys i feal better now and Did not wish to come off so harsh but i am sure others would feal the same way and since this has happened to me alot in My old Work where People will take one or more of my ideas and run with it as there own. This makes me somewhat more sensitive to this issue than it otherwise would.

Oct 1, 2002 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 40
This is a horrible first thread for me! Not quite what I had in mind.

I wasn't trying to redirect any due credit for the existence of this amp... just a broad thank-you to everyone for helping make it possible for me. I mentioned Tangent in particular, I suppose because I bought the board from him. I do not think I'd have built it otherwise, so I think that's fair.

Antness: That's an odd offering, in my opinion, but thanks for your input. If I decide to build a Gilmore, I'll likely come to you for a board, but rest assured it'll still be a Gilmore amp
frown.gif

Oct 1, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 40

ppl- You are right, you do not get the credit you deserve for your contributions here. There are so many times you have shared your knowledge and exsperience with us and I want to thank you too.

There are a couple of us talking about having a get together in Eugene in a few months and I hope we can get you to attend. It will be small and informal.

Oct 2, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 40
I have never claimed to have designed the META42's circuit. My role has been to help produce and support the PCB; I thought that was clear. I see that I will have to revise the History page on the META42 site, as it doesn't make ppl's role as clear as it should.

Anyway, let's take this to private email, okay? Anyone with suggestions on how the History page should read, send me a PM or an email.

Oct 2, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #13 of 40
Hi Once again i am sorry if i offended anyone that was not my intention.

Voodoochile> Please forgive me for making your first thred less than good. I understand that in addition to myself that it was Tangent and Morsel's Extensive efforts in getting the DIY folks hear to Expearence the META42. Indeed if it was not for Morsel's PC Board Artwork and Tangent's obtaining the EL-2001's and EL-2002's for this Fourm that Probably no one would have made this Amp and the Expearence it provides. I truly am glad You got Your amp together and that you Enjoy it. This was my intention on Posting my manny thred's on different aspects of Opamp Design that I thought would Bring the Head-Fi'ers alot closer to musical truth than just a simple Opamp and a pair of resistors as the VGD. Once again congradulations on your Amp and I thank Tangent for helping you out.

antness> It seemed strange to me that you would offer a meta 42 as tangent allready offers it and The Gilmore Amp you offer in your view is Better.

puppyslugg> Thanks alot for your kind words.

JMS> Also thanks for your kind words and Thoughts.

Budgie> Also thanks I surly would be interested in a small get-together Hear in Eugene. PM me with the deatails when you do. I seldom get to portland anymore My Eye's are so bad i can no longer Drive. so Eugene works for me.

Tangent> I in no way wantend to offend you as in all My conversations via Eletronic Media with you you have been Polite and understanding as well as an overall nice guy, As i stated prior iff not for your efforts the META42 would not have been made possible. While A circuit Design is a great start it takes the drive you showed in getting this project together and offering the Folks hear a way to build this Amp And I for one thank you.

Morsel> You also deserve alot of credit for your effort in doing the PC artwork and implimenting My other updates that i am sure were difficult on sutch short notice.

eric 343> you also deserve credit for having the Vision to start this project after just getting into the DIY thing. Your Pioneering efforts have not gone unoticed by me. You are quite smart to be able to do this at the start.

If i left anyone out feal free to complain in this thred.

Oct 2, 2002 at 8:37 AM Post #14 of 40
I won't complain, I always considered ppl to be the most knowledgeable engineer on these forums, and have said so before. His influence on many most popular projects here is very evident - my PDAC also wouldn't be what it is if not for his contributions. It seems I credited only Jung in my article so I'm going to fix that. The problem here is similar to when you send invitations to the party and forget to send some to close family members - because your brain just assumes they'll be there anyway as they don't need an invitation to come to your home at any time. Unfortunately that ends up looking as if the person is not appreciated when nothing is further from truth.

Oct 2, 2002 at 11:52 AM Post #15 of 40
"Voodoochile> Please forgive me for making your first thred less than good. "

No offense taken... I just felt bad about not properly handling the acknowledgements. In an unrelated field, I go through the same exact thing you describe... often! It sucks. Regarding my mention of 'cascode current source via Tangent', for instance, I was inferring that I bought the JFETs from him (I can't take the credit for picking them out), not that Tangent might have dreamed up the configuration. Poor wording on my part.

I do like the amp very much. Last night I installed parallelled 2002s (it is mains powered) vs. the previous 2001 singles. I'm enjoying myself with this very much. Thanks again to you and everyone else who contributed to this project. I don't think I could be more satisfied with a commercial product, at least not at any remotely reasonable price point!

I'm a smiling guy right about now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back