Another 'Help me find the right amp' thread
Jan 6, 2006 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Cage

New Head-Fier
I was dissapointed with the headphone output of my new Revo 5.1 card. I thought my SB Live did a better job driving my 50 ohm HD 555's. So I need an amp for desktop use. I've been doing a lot of reading and have found some possible cadidates, but if you know some more feel free to let me know.

GoVibe V4 (8391) $96.82,- incl. shipping
I undertand that the new 8391 opamp would be the best for home use, so I would order that one. Probably the best bet for a soundcard and 555 combo. It can use an adapter so no battery costs.

Mini Head $115,- incl. shipping
Not really suited for home use, as there's no possibility to hook up an adapter. But it's pretty cheap and it has buffered outputs, whatever that means. But it's supposed to sound a lot better.
tongue.gif
I could always buy a seperate charger as the amp is not too expensive. I could order the 'Signature Edition' ($50) which has a DC jack, but I think that's a bit expensive, bringing the total to $165,- including a power supply. But I could just as well buy the Maxi Moy if I'm going to spend that much money.

Portaphile X3 $121,95 incl. shipping
Looks pretty nice, but gets more expensive with buffers ($30) and/or with DC Jack ($15), which would both be nice but brings the grand total to $166,95. That would be stretching the budget a little bit, but if it is worth it I might consider this.

Maxi Moy $155 incl. shipping
It's a buffered design and it has a DC jack. Probably a good bet for a desktop amp. Don't know how much better this would be than the previous options though.

Or should I ask someone to build me a MINT?

Now I'd really like to get the GoVibe, as it would be a birthday present and the GoVibe is affordable for a present. If I feel that one of the other options I listed would really be worth the money, I would just pay the rest myself. I don't want the total sum to exceed €200,- as I feel that would be unnecessary with my current source and headphone. I guess that's the main question: are any of the amps other than the GoVibe worth the money using my current headphone and source?

Thanks for your help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back