Another big THUMBS UP for the Sleek Audio SA6
Mar 26, 2008 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Bull Moose

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I've never been good at giving technical reviews of audio equipment, but what I lack in description, I will make up to all of you in honesty.

The SA6s sound just plain awesome, that's about it. And by plain, I don't mean dull, I mean that in my opinion there's zero argument that even at $250 these are still a fantastic value. I've owned both the Westone UM2 and the Atrio M5 and I feel that these are a fantastic combination of the two.

I get deep, accurate, punchy bass very similar in quality to the M5s (though the atrios still have an obvious edge in bass quantity), as well as fantastic mids a la Westone UM2, all this without the very noticeable treble roll-off in the highs.

Live tracks actually sound LIVE, and studio recordings sound better than they ever have before. I believe there was a head-fier in the SA6 thread who said they felt they finally found the perfect IEM for them and I couldn't agree more. These bad boys have everything a person could want in an earphone and of course the obvious plus is that they actually sound FANTASTIC.

I admit when I first saw these in the fall of '07 I thought they were a stupid gimmick and wouldn't amount to anything, yet here I am at this very moment rocking the hell out to Slayer like I never have before.

Much like the Atrio M5s these handle just about every genre of music extremely well and I find that they are just awesome with Metal and techno specifically.

There is no doubt in my mind that in my six years of IEM experience, these are the best things I've ever put in my ear canals, and judging by the size of the SA6 thread, it seems to me that others are in agreement.

Mar 26, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm with you on the Sleeks. I was an early convert (at least in terms of when they landed here at Head-Fi), and still feel very strongly that they are the perfect balance of what an IEM should be in my small corner. I've never indulged in the world of E530, UE Triple.Fi or high-end customs, but to me, these are about as much as I want to pay for IEMs that deliver what I want in a portable phone. In fact, I feel like I am getting much more than the SA6 price tag (and others in the SA6 thread who own high-priced IEMs/customs have said as much). Are their better universal phones? I suppose. But I doubt I will be finding out what they are any time soon.

My only real question is durability at this point. I mean, as long as these don't have any V-Moda Vibe-like QC meltdowns, I think I'll be an SA6 owner for a long time. Best of all? If something goes wrong with anything but the main driver body, I can replace it. And with a two-year warranty on the phones themselves, it's great combination.

Sleek does have some plans afoot for wireless and other interesting areas. Look forward to seeing those new ideas. Welcome to the Sleek fan club.

Mar 26, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 12
Another welcome to the Sleek fan club from me too. I am happy that you find our advise to be useful.

Mar 26, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 12
Glad you discovered them too. The mids are just magical, no? And the treble too. The thing that is so astonishing is that they do this level of detail without any harshness whatsoever (this could be helped out by my source- Trekstor Vibez). That to me is the most amazing thing about them. It's like listening to my Meadowlark Shearwater Hotrods every day at work.

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 12
It looks like all of the Sleek fan club members are obligated to post here, so here is my obligatory post.
tongue.gif

It's amazing that these sound so great using just one driver. It has definitely convinced me that more drivers is not always better.

I might have been the one that you're referring to as to finally finding the perfect IEM (keyword finally, as it's been a somewhat long journey). I'm very interested in what Sleek plans to offer in the future including wireless capabilities and/or a potential foray into customs (that may be announced at Can Jam?). Only time will tell...

Mar 26, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Received my SA6s today. Wow...just wow!
biggrin.gif

I need to listen for a while, but I think I've found "the IEM" for me. These things offer the most incredible sound I've heard in a pair of in-ears, and that's straight from listening to them for the past half hour. I have the +bass and the +treble port installed and the sound is bliss. I remember researching these things a couple months ago and thought they were hideous...oops.
tongue.gif

Now I need to figure out what to do with my SE530s...
cool.gif

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 12
Nice to hear. Hope first impressions are lasting for you.

Thought I would add this to the thread. I just tried out a pair of Comply foamies (the shorts, in the P models, which work for Etys, Atrios, etc.) and they are really a good match with the SA6s if you prefer foamies. I've been touting the yellow shure foamies, but they get ugly fast (and are pretty much ugly to begin with). The shures still feel good and sound nice too, but he Complys are a stronger foam, no doubt will last longer, and are gray, so not as dirty/ugly.

I only tried them out with the treble= and bass+ (my preferred setup), but pretty darn good, and only on the Sony DAP. More listening later.

Mar 26, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmiarka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my SA6s today. Wow...just wow!
biggrin.gif

I need to listen for a while, but I think I've found "the IEM" for me. These things offer the most incredible sound I've heard in a pair of in-ears, and that's straight from listening to them for the past half hour. I have the +bass and the +treble port installed and the sound is bliss. I remember researching these things a couple months ago and thought they were hideous...oops.
tongue.gif

x2... Love them so much!!!!! Got them today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back