Another AKG Thread, Yay...
Sep 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Schwarzwald

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

I'm an audio engineering student, and I'm looking to pick up some AKG 70x's to add to my monitoring arsenal. I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, wondering if those would properly drive/fill out the sound of the AKG's?

If not, I've been looking around here for quite some time, and would like some opinions on the Schiit line (I can afford any of them, but I'm a bang for buck guy), The Heed Canamp,  the O2, or Zero: with the caveat that they won't be modded, and will be going through my interface.

As I said before, price isn't a super big issue, but I really like bang for buck.

Sep 9, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
I'm an audio engineering student, and I'm looking to pick up some AKG 70x's to add to my monitoring arsenal. I've got a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, wondering if those would properly drive/fill out the sound of the AKG's?
If not, I've been looking around here for quite some time, and would like some opinions on the Schiit line (I can afford any of them, but I'm a bang for buck guy), The Heed Canamp,  the O2, or Zero: with the caveat that they won't be modded, and will be going through my interface.
As I said before, price isn't a super big issue, but I really like bang for buck.

I know zero about the Focusrite Scarlett 18i6, but it might decently drive the AKG 70Xs
There are several large threads on amping the AKG 70X series of headphones, should list lots of amplifiers recommended for the AKG 70Xs.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/582276/q701-appreciation-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/598004/amping-for-akg-q701

Sep 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 8
Some recommend tubes but i like Solid states better (paired with Akg) try the HA-160 or Ds version, which is also good value unit. Depending on how much you are willing to spend. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 8
I also agree that the burson ha-160 amp and the akg70? are a good match.I have 701s and am using a ha-160 and I am very satisfied with their performance.The volume control is a bit spotty at times.Finding the right volume for a particular recording can be difficult due to the steep ramp up in volume from the stepped attenuator.Sometimes the volume is to low at one step and too high the next step up which can be frustrating at times.I too get the audible clicking noise when I change steps thru the headphones.But as a whole I have been satisfied with my ha-160.You can pick up a used one fairly easily and save some money.I have had my burson amp for two tears and have had no reliability problems whatsoever.

Sep 12, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #8 of 8
I have the 701s and used to have a Heed Canamp to drive them. I recently switched to a Schhit Lyr and I couldn't be more satisfied. It is as if I am listening to a different set of cans. The Lyr is a far better match to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back