Anedio D2 DAC release
Apr 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #362 of 1,417

Quote:
YES!  SB Touch with Enhanced Digital Output to D2 is the BEST sounding setup I've heard.  I think Project86 should find a SBT to evaluate his D2.

I've got one around here somewhere. It's still boxed up from when I lent it out for the Bay Area meet a few months ago. I'll break it out when I get a second and give it a try.

Are you guys saying it sounds better that way than through a PC or Mac USB connection? If so, any idea why that would be? 

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #363 of 1,417
Yes, please try D2 on SBT with Enhanced Digital Output (EDO) plug-in.  It sounds significantly better than PC USB connections.  I've used JRiver+WASAPI and cPlay with ASIO.  SBT+EDO is flat out better.

If you have followed some CAS setup threads, the best sounding setup right now is Linux Ubuntu with RT kernel patch.  It is a realtime kernel with high resolution timer.  It beats Win7 or Mac OSX setup.  SBT+EDO is essentially a Linux PC with RT kernel with a touch screen, a disabled sound card, wifi and LAN connection.  It is a bargain for what it can do in this case.

The EDO plug-in is very new.  It just came out on April 7!

Make sure you install the latest server software, LMS 7.7.2 before you proceed with SBT and EDO.

Quote:
I've got one around here somewhere. It's still boxed up from when I lent it out for the Bay Area meet a few months ago. I'll break it out when I get a second and give it a try.

Are you guys saying it sounds better that way than through a PC or Mac USB connection? If so, any idea why that would be? 

Apr 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #364 of 1,417
Quote:
Yes, please try D2 on SBT with Enhanced Digital Output (EDO) plug-in.  It sounds significantly better than PC USB connections.  I've used JRiver+WASAPI and cPlay with ASIO.  SBT+EDO is flat out better.

If you have followed some CAS setup threads, the best sounding setup right now is Linux Ubuntu with RT kernel patch.  It is a realtime kernel with high resolution timer.  It beats Win7 or Mac OSX setup.  SBT+EDO is essentially a Linux PC with RT kernel with a touch screen, a disabled sound card, wifi and LAN connection.  It is a bargain for what it can do in this case.

The EDO plug-in is very new.  It just came out on April 7!

Make sure you install the latest server software, LMS 7.7.2 before you proceed with SBT and EDO.

Agreed... Here are a couple of links describing the potential benefits of "Async USB".
(Bottom line: Async USB allows for transmitting jitter-free data to the DAC; then it's up-to the DAC to provide the 'Clock'.)

USB versus SPDIF
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/USB_SPDIF.htm

Why We Prefer USB Output
http://www.antipodesaudio.com/why_usb.html

So, assuming the D2 does a nice job with Async USB, the "Touch" (SBT) holds a lot of promise as a transport (supporting up-to 24/192K).... Making the SBT+D2 a killer combo!

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #366 of 1,417
It is really small
biggrin.gif
 look forward on your thoughts..

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #369 of 1,417
If you possibly can, I suggest bypassing your pre-amp and using the Anedio's volume control. You will find it really cleans up your system, assuming you have a revealing one. IMHO, pre-amps do nothing but degrade the SQ. Regards

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #370 of 1,417

Quote:
If you possibly can, I suggest bypassing your pre-amp and using the Anedio's volume control. You will find it really cleans up your system, assuming you have a revealing one. IMHO, pre-amps do nothing but degrade the SQ. Regards

Agreed, for the most part. I think pre-amps have traditionally been used as a "band-aid" in many systems. And it worked fairly well. Plus the alternative (direct output from the DAC unit) was not done as well back then, so the pre was absolutely necessary. These days I'd say that is no longer the case. Some systems will still benefit from helpful colorations in the pre (especially a nice tube pre or warm euphonic SS design). But if absolute clarity, resolution, and ambient detail is the goal, running straight from the D2 is likely the better bet. Same goes for the Invicta and a number of other units with direct output. 

In any case, I run mine at 99 when used as purely a DAC. Not that it does anything significant to go down to 90 or 80, but the full output is usually the best match for the amps I have anyway. Certain amps would do better with a lower output though, so trial and error is good. 

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #371 of 1,417
I understand and appreciate where you guys are coming from. Believe me I would love to get superior sound without having to add a separate preamp. Unfortunately, I've never experienced better sound going direct from source to amp. If the Anedio can beat my current Audio Research DAC7 and Audio Research LS-17 preamp, then I will be a very happy guy. Time will tell.

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #373 of 1,417
Hi friends

Interesting info about Squeeze Touch as a high quality transporter using its USB port... Where is the link to download the Enhanced Digital Output (EDO) plug-in for it?

I have been searching in the Logitech community support but I can't see the direct link to download the plugin.

Thanks

Edgar Puglisi

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #374 of 1,417
Quote:

Well, that depends on the pre-amp and interconnects involved. But, I'd agree: the less stuff in the signal path, the lesser the chances are to screw things up.
And, more to your point, even with a great pre-amp & ic's, I'd still consider bypassing it, as the D2 may do a fine enough job driving the amp!

I tried bypassing my pre-amp, and found that I needed to keep the D2 in the "40-50" range for reasonable listening levels; and actually preferred keeping the pre-amp in the loop, with the D2 maxed-out (at "99").... But hey, go with whatever sounds best for you!... It's great to have options!

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #375 of 1,417
Quote:
Hi friends

Interesting info about Squeeze Touch as a high quality transporter using its USB port... Where is the link to download the Enhanced Digital Output (EDO) plug-in for it?

I have been searching in the Logitech community support but I can't see the direct link to download the plugin.

Thanks

Edgar Puglisi

Here's the link:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94512-Announce-Enhanced-Digital-Output-app-USB-Dac-and-192k-Digital-Ouput

[EDIT] FYI: Folks on the other side of the world are also finding great results with the SBT(with EDO app) >== Async USB==>D2
http://www.review33.com/pda/pda_msg.php?db=1&topic=36120116101008&number=4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back