Andrew WK: Genius or talent free twerp?
Apr 22, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #46 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
I agree fully. I am tired of all this awful talentless rubbish. Where are the new Led Zeppelin's? New Beatles? New Floyd? Is there no talent out there at all?

And I don't buy this thing about it being "intentionally" bad. If it is intentionally bad, then people would just laugh and save their money.

Yeah, where the hell are all these new great bands? We get stuck with all this trivial crap that has no emotional attachment, majority of these trailer park trash "artists" will long be forgotten while i'm still jamming to Kashmir.

frown.gif

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #48 of 65
The new Pink Floyd - Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Godspeed You Black Emperor!

Don't know about the new Led or Beatles.

Actually, I only paid US$9 for my copy at Tower. New. I figured it was worth it to hear what all the hype was about. My mistake.

Apr 24, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #49 of 65
Like DChalk I picked up mine at BestBuy for $10 to check the hype (lots of good reviews). I have listened to it once. Andrew WK is OK... better than KidRock yes.... but thats not saying much.

Im enjoying my other new CDs (Tortoise, T. Monk, Dntel, To Rococo Rot, White Stripes), so Andrew WK will probably collect alot of dust.

Apr 24, 2002 at 7:36 PM Post #50 of 65
I say Tool is the new Led Zep.........

Apr 24, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #51 of 65
Jag and Dusty,
Please don't be peeved with me if I influenced your decision to buy. I tried to be clear about what Andrew WK is and is not.

markl

Apr 25, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #52 of 65
I bought Plan 9...I mean, Andrew W.K.'s album before this thread started.

Apr 25, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #53 of 65
markl-- I bought the CD before the thread started. Wasnt a complete waste. Ill give it a listen again sometime. It does have a strong party theme.

peeved? nope.... good thread.

Apr 25, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #54 of 65
im sorry, just had to jump in here, dont kno who andrew wk is, but sasha and digweed, scott weiland, etc. arent in the same league musically in my book as merzbow, or even tortoise are. and for those complaining about rolling stone not printing any articles about good music, go buy yourself a copy of the wire, yes it costs twice as much, but at least you'll get 70 pages of music for the sake of music, rather than 50 pages of tommy hilfigger ads, 10 about mainstream movies and tv shows, and maybe 15 or so actually about music. oh and as someones pointed out already, arguments such as "where are the good bands these days?" are ridiculous

Apr 26, 2002 at 7:41 AM Post #55 of 65
He was getting rave reviews in all metal magazines down under so i had a look. I was not impressed with the musical stylings. From the look of his promo shoots i thought i was in store for some seriously heavy metal. But alas it was what i would classify as pop punk. Im not a fan. But nothing against those who are. And Mark being on Soundtracks and Compilations does not mean you have musical credibility. If anything it means
a) The director / composer liked you.
b) You appeal to the mindless whores who consume top 40.

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #56 of 65
I totally agree Poddy. Again, I'm not saying he's the "New Dylan". He's an antidote to the Kid Rocks of the world, nothing more.

Mark

Apr 26, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #57 of 65
Antidote? More like children's dose.......
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #58 of 65
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I totally agree Poddy. Again, I'm not saying he's the "New Dylan". He's an antidote to the Kid Rocks of the world, nothing more.

Mark

Oh i would most definitely give him more respect than Kid Rock. But all the same i hope he isnt offended that i do not purchase his cd.

Jun 10, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #59 of 65
i heard andrew wk the other day and it made me laugh. did a quick search here and am suprised that there was a thread dedicated to the guy! you guys are amazingly quick. so he's big in the uk??

good for a laugh but i dont dig his music, genius and craze is such a fine borderline. it has such an old retro rock sound and its so loud! it's quite amazing how loud the record sounds.. another lab work.

Sep 1, 2002 at 8:27 PM Post #60 of 65
Take about 45 seconds of any Merzbow song off any Merzbow album, and there are DOZENS, and you've heard just about all there is. Record some radio static and save yourself the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back