And The Winner: Grado 325is Review (and Compared w/60i, 225i, RS-1)
Jan 11, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes they sound just right.

You're bitten as well.
tongue.gif

There's a growing clique of RS1i&325is lovers.

Feb 6, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #47 of 61
Nice writeup!

I still find the 225's and 325i's to be closer than the 325i's and RS-1's. 325's add depth and detail, but they were still quite similar (note this was a 225 non-i vs a 325i, not the new is). When I heard the RS-1 (non-i with buttons), it was a whole different Grado experience. Big sound, euphonic bass, and very forward.

Grado has done some tweaks with their new I and IS headphones, so I can't speak for the new lineup. But I can't imagine the 325is's really approaching the RS-1 flavor, they were too distinguished from each other.

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #48 of 61
Nice post! Glad to see so many Grados compared in your impressions.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #49 of 61
Nice review but to be honest I'm skeptical that the 325is is a big step up from the 225i.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #50 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel the same way about Grado's phono cartridges. Particularly in the lower end of the wood body Grado line, you could point to one or more sonic drawbacks, but there is NO cartridge under $1000 I know of that has a midrange that can melt your heart the way one of those Grados can. I consider the Master to be the lowest priced complete cartridge, but that is up around $900. Still, the Platinum is akin to the SR60. The Sonata is akin to the SR125 and the SR325is is akin to the Master. I suppose the Reference is akin to the RS1. Harry Weisfeld of VPI once said to me that, though the bass on it is not the ultimate, the Grado Reference is about his favorite cartridge. There IS something magical about the way Grado voices the midrange. The SR325is has that magic midrange.

This I agree with as someone with a Sonata cartridge on a Scoutmaster. A great value for $600 (I have not heard the new Sonata1 yet). I think the 225 drivers have a magical midrange as well. In my experience I think the wooden cups add something magical as the 325 is touch hot on the top. The RS-1 is reference level for openness. I am even more impressed by the PS1000 but I only listened for 30 minutes at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (Ultimate Audio table).

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #51 of 61
Well, you obviously shouldn't merely take my word for it, but there is a BIG step up from the 225i to the 325is. But it also depends upon what you're listening for. Yes, the RS1 has more dynamic slam than the 325is, so in that particular aspect, the 325is might be closer to the 225i.

On the other hand, the 325is is much more extended on both ends of the frequency spectrum, there's no doubt about that. The result is a greater creation of the soundstage. Even more importantly, the midrange is quite a bit more detailed on the 325is than the 225i. If you listen to acoustic instruments that have a whole lot of overtone information (strings, winds, etc.), you'll hear much more through the 325is. The result is that the 325is make acoustic instruments sound more real. In that way, the 325is headphones sound much more like the RS1i. The difference between the RS1i and the 325is is that the RS1i has the aforementioned improvement in dynamic slam and the top end is more relaxed, rendering a deeper soundstage. But I tell you, a beautifully recorded solo violin sonata I played through both sounded VERY close. Playing the same through the 225i, the violin lacked a sophistication of tone. To my ears, the 225i sounds much closer to the 125i overall.

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #52 of 61
Its nice to hear that you have heard most of the Grado headphones, it was a short but spot on comparison between them.

I'am very happy with my pair, listening to them right now with Dire Straits doing their guitar and boy you should listen the slam of the drums,i'am not saying they are nice as the RS1's but the slam is way better then my HD 25-1 II's

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #53 of 61
This is by far one of the best Grado model comparison reviews / discussion thread I have read in a long, long time. I wanted to contribute my opinions as well since I have both the classic RS-1 and a recently acquired SR-325is. I have long (six years long) had the RS-1 as my one-and-only reference pair of cans and they are what they are - immaculate, precise, complete. Period...as least my ears have been telling me for as long as I have had the RS-1. They do everything right (arguably nearly) and it is no wonder why they are still highly regarded by many as one of the best out there. I can confidently tell you I won't be replacing my RS-1 unless a ridiculous offer on a PS-1000 presents itself, which is highly unlikely so let's get back to reality.

So just five months back, for some very strange reasons, I decided to buy a pair of SR-325is since a lot has been said about it (good and bad controversially) and I really wanted to find out for myself where these stand in comparison to my RS-1. Fresh out of the box, I was quite surprised that it sounded a lot less shrill than the goldie SR-325i which I first listened to back in 2007. I could tell the IS version was something different...as the days go by, the characteristics of the SR-325is started to change with the hours put in to it and they sounded more appealing as a result. By the time I had these for a month, I admit that they have started to grow on me.

I listen to a wide variety of music and as an owner of the RS-1, I will tell you now that there are one or two things the SR-325is do better. Not because it is a better headphone. Because there are just some music that favors the forward sounding focus of the SR325is. The speed of the SR325is is incredible and this coming from a hardcore fan, owner, whatever of the RS-1. How one instrument and/or vocalist switch focus between the other is breathtaking! The bass is nice and tight. The slight upper bump which was quite apparent on its predecessor is no longer there. Nice job the new drivers! I like it! 

So, while I sat in a daze, still pretty much in a shock and complete deniaI state, I ask myself over and over again...is this because I have gotten so used to the sound of the RS-1 that hearing something different from the SR-325is gives me the perception that it does these things better? Perception or not, I don't care and I like what my ears tell me. If there comes a day my RS-1 dies (touch wood and no pun intended) and I need to live with just the SR-325is, I believe I will be entirely fine.

But is the SR-325is so good that I would willingly replace the RS-1 with it? Is it that good that I will go out and tell somebody with a cost-no-object budget to go with the SR-325is over the RS-1? The answer is NO because the RS-1 still delivers the music in a fuller, more complete way. There really isn't one characteristic in the RS-1 that overpowers the other. It is that well put together the RS-1 but damn, I hate to admit that the SR-325is comes pretty close and will surely make a lot of people wonder whether the extra $400 is worth paying for...great job Grado! Personally, the SR-325is is no brainer. For just under $300, this silver wonder is a steal and will definitely remain in my collection for a long time because some of my music just bloody jives with it!

And I understand the Symphones Magnum upgrade for the SR-325is makes it even sweeter...now that's a route to take if you want to push the bar even further on what is already a darn good pair of cans.

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #54 of 61
Hi etteoh. Great to read your impressions. The SR325i have been my reference for several years now because of its forward edgy sound with lots of punchy slam in the bass. I have had the RS-1 on my wishlist for a long time because I feel they offer the other side of the Grado road with a soft and silky woody sound, yet still detailed and dynamic but not edgy like the 325. They each do their own thing and one could easily have both cans for different moods.

Oct 10, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #55 of 61
Thank you rasmushorn! Don't fret too much over having the RS-1 or not. Keep it in your wishlist and whisk it if a good deal comes by. Else you still have a great pair of cans to listen to. I will tell you that of late, my 325is has been getting more listening time than my RS-1. I have been kept busy rediscovering the other side of my music collection...the ones that sound a tad more "fun" with the 325is.

Out of the topic, after I bought the 325is, one of my buddies had been pestering me to sell him my RS-1 since I had been going around raving so much on the 325is (I couldn't help it. Honestly I was thrilled because I didn't expect them to be THIS good and I was doing the community a favor). I told him since I was raving so much about the 325is, I'd sell him those instead (after all, they are great cans) and he flipped me the finger. Oh don't get me wrong...he loves how the SR325is sounds...just that he's more of a collector kinda guy so my classic pair of RS-1 means a lot more to him. Well, it means just as much, if not more to me 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #56 of 61
Thanks for the great review AnalogJ and etteoh!

I started off the SR80s and now have the 325i as my upgrade, I'm looking to buy in the U.S as the price for the 325i there is the same as the SR225i here in the UK!

Hoping the upgrade will equally amaze me like my first Grados did.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #57 of 61
You are welcome!

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #58 of 61
Quote:
Heishiro, unless someone, say the manufacturer, wants to lend me a pair of the MS2 headphones, I don't have access to them. A retailer in the area has a wide array of headphones, but not unlimited. I had the chance to listen to Audio Technica, Grado, Sennheiser and AKG. Being able to listen and compare them was a great, and I would always recommend supporting a bricks and morter retailer, if possible. Not all have access to one, and certainly not one that carries such an array of headphones. The retailer said that buyers this holiday blew through almost his entire stock of headphones -- big sellers!

Where in Asia are you from? I have a MS2i and MS1i :)

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #59 of 61
Quote:
Glad to see more and more people finding the SR325is to be a great headphone. For me it has been love since I heard it the first time. A lot of headphones has come and gone but to this day SR325i gets 90% of my listening time. I just can not find any headphone which gives me listening pleasure like this one.

I will also say that I agree with aimlink on one point. It is that once in a while I encounter a track with a snare or little-drum - mainly electronic, but also rock/pop, where the snare or drum enters and penetrates the brain in such a way that I get listening fatigue within 30 seconds.

Most of my listening is jazz and electronica and it does nor happen very often. So the SR325i is still for me my preferred all-rounder.

Aye, 325is tends to be my most listened to headphone.  

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #60 of 61
Quote:
Thanks for the great review AnalogJ and etteoh!

I started off the SR80s and now have the 325i as my upgrade, I'm looking to buy in the U.S as the price for the 325i there is the same as the SR225i here in the UK!

Hoping the upgrade will equally amaze me like my first Grados did.

Just got my pair of 325is cans yesterday, and there is a vast improvement from the SR80s. Everything sounds fuller, and the soundstage just seems wider. I am listening to the new My Bloody Valentine album, and I can hear much more detail than before.

Check out Dub-step girl's roundup that includes the SR 325. 

You should be very pleased with the upgrade,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back