Analogies of rigs
Feb 27, 2009 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
We all know how rigs consist of sources, amplifiers, speakers and the cabling between them. But do you know good analogies for them? I'd be interested to hear various.

I thought of one somewhat good: a rig's like a movie (or its production).

The movie's script is the source. It's where the soul and meat lies.

The movie's director is the amplifier. The director naturally follows the script but may add some own trademarks and elements into it.

And the movie's actors are the speakers / headphones. They do what the director says to do. They're the ones that show to movie's viewers (listeners). They also have their own trademarks, signature.

As an extra, the staging and props are the room acoustic treatments. They easen up the actor's work and help getting the scene look (sound) right.

-- do you have own analogies?

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 8
the music is the recipe, the source is the corporate chef, the amplifier is the sous chef, and the output is the line cooks (end result is good eats)

or you could take the car analogy:
music is the driver, source is the wheel/shifter, amplifier is the motor, and the output is the transmission (or wheels to pavement); (end result is a good drive)

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Haha, nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or you could take the car analogy:
music is the driver, source is the wheel/shifter, amplifier is the motor, and the output is the transmission (or wheels to pavement); (end result is a good drive)

So when you get a high end source, you can safely change to the top ear!

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 8
More!

Humans in physical manner:
- Brain as source, lungs as amplifier and tongue & lips as the speakers

Apr 8, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 8
Mrrr, I want you to post more fancy analogies.

Apr 8, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Hm, you stole my humans analogy.
I think Heart as source (a source of life), Brain as amplifier (tells how to move), muscular system as speakers (moving parts)

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 8
A somewhat inept analogy that my friend once told me.

Aeroplane.

Source is the fuel, amp are the engines, cans are the main body.

You start with good fuel, if your fuel isn't good your plane isn't going to start. Your engine size needs to be matched with the size of the plane's body. A big plane (hard to drive can) is going to need a powerful amp to drive.

Of course, we are the passengers enjoying the ride.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back