Analog vs. Digital
Jan 19, 2004 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
Interesting read: http://www.diamondcenter.net/digitalstress.html
Maybe this is why I'm so relaxed lately?
Or maybe it has to do with the fact that I don't have to go to work anymore.
wink.gif

In any case, my re-entry into vinyl has been absolutely fantastic. I never realized how smooooooooooooooth and natural vinyl sounds......just like the real thing.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 23
'Tis true Joelongwood. Vinyl is more relaxing and cerainly not as fatiguing a CD or any Digital format for that matter.

Not wanting to start a flame war or anything but to me MP3 just plain sux.

Those of you that extol the virtues of digital over analog should take the time out to listen to a really good turntable. Even at the high end, it's still no bed or roses.

I've got a $10K Digital Front-End (Krell MD10/Studio) and a $3k analog front-end (Pro-ject RPM9/Ortofon Rohmann MC/EAR843p) and i've got to say that the Vinyl rig simply kills the Krell in almost every respect.

I can listen to the vinyl all day, and I have pretty much (6 hours today and counting) whilst the CD as good as it is would leave me fatigued after that length of time.

It would be silly to suggets that everybody should listen to Vinyl if they are serious about music but certainly, if you are prepared to put the time/effort/money into it you will be rewarded quite handsomely for it.

Currently listening to THE BEST OF THE STYLISTICS on Vinyl.

Jan 20, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 23
my local jazz station plays all cd's, but one show the dj spun some vinyl. it just sounded so nuanced and smooth, even the occasional pops and clicks just added to the relaxation. there is something so soothing to me about the sound of vinyl, probably because i grew up with it.

Jan 20, 2004 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 23
If you listen heavy metal is doesn't matter the format you use, you will be excited anyway after two hours....and if you listen Andreas Vollenwieder in any format it will relax you, and you will sleep aftertwo hours, believe me....

Jan 20, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 23
I'm going to have to get me some of this stuff.

>> LIFE ENERGY PLUS™ helps ameliorate the effects of:
>> EMF radiation – ... transformers, electrical generators.

Always knew those AC power supplies were dangerous.

>>Geopathic Disturbances

Because some buildings are just evil.

On a side note, dictionary.com didn't recognize the word "geopathic."

>>Deep problems of Personal Identity

Wait. What?

Very interesting that such a new-age set of pills would seem to be marketed towards audiophiles. Hell of a sales pitch.

Jan 20, 2004 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 23
I know I've been very geopathically disturbed lately. Sometimes, you know... mountains.. and buildings.. they can loom on the horizon so heavily that it really disturbs me. Perhaps these pills will assuage this pathos and allow me to obtain geopathic synergy.

- Chris

Jan 20, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
and if you listen Andreas Vollenwieder in any format it will relax you, and you will sleep aftertwo hours, believe me....

I thought he primarily played synthesized instruments, so it would seem that is likely (with contemporary synthesizers) to be digital at some fundamental level.

Jan 20, 2004 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
I know I've been very geopathically disturbed lately. Sometimes, you know... mountains.. and buildings.. they can loom on the horizon so heavily that it really disturbs me. Perhaps these pills will assuage this pathos and allow me to obtain geopathic synergy.

- Chris

Please let us know how well Dr. Diamond's pills work in solving your problems of personal identity.

Jan 20, 2004 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 23
Anti-PCM recording pills? Hey, if I order them, then I don't need to upgrade to SACD! Sony must be furious!
biggrin.gif

I've got your anti-PCM pill for you, Doc. Better speakers, cd player and Chivas on the rocks.

Quote:

Perhaps the most obvious example of this is the fact that at the age of seventy, when some 50% of American males are already dead, some 80% of musical conductors are still alive, healthy, and productive

What a shame I've recently been listening to Kurt Colbain, Jimi Hendrix, Janice Joplin and Ian Curtis!
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

I've got a $10K Digital Front-End (Krell MD10/Studio) and a $3k analog front-end (Pro-ject RPM9/Ortofon Rohmann MC/EAR843p) and i've got to say that the Vinyl rig simply kills the Krell in almost every respect.

But, Trawlerman, that's great gear and an expensive turntable! Me, I've got a $175 Project Debut and $125 Ortofon cartridge and that rig makes my ears burn after one side of an LP. I can't figure out what, but there is some form of distortion going on in that vinyl rig. I fiddled and fiddled and gave up. I never play it. Yet I can listen to 193kbs mp3 for hours without my ears fatiguing. For all I know it's subtly beat-up records! Wasn't that the whole idea behind cds, anyway? To avoid the ruined record syndrome?

My equally-priced Marantz 6000 OSE cd player is quite blissfully warm and smooth, on the other hand. And I really think you need to sink some bucks into a good turntable for quality sound. The cheapest, good-sounding table that I've heard was a VPI with a pretty costly cartridge. (Maybe that whole rig cost $900) Even that's not cheap, but that was the best sound I've heard out of a turntable (that beat a good cd player) before really having to hit the stratosphere pricewise.

But, I'm going to give vinyl another and better chance when I return to the US where I can pick up a GOOD used TT.

Jan 20, 2004 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
But, Trawlerman, that's great gear and an expensive turntable! Me, I've got a $175 Project Debut and $125 Ortofon cartridge and that rig makes my ears burn after one side of an LP. I can't figure out what, but there is some form of distortion going on in that vinyl rig. I fiddled and fiddled and gave up. I never play it. Yet I can listen to 193kbs mp3 for hours without my ears fatiguing. For all I know it's subtly beat-up records! Wasn't that the whole idea behind cds, anyway? To avoid the ruined record syndrome?

Chadbang, the point I was making that even at the high end the same issues remain. I find that Digital is fatiguing. Perhaps there is something amiss with my setup? I'd like to think not as i've always had a smoother ride with vinyl regardless of setup.

Jan 20, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #13 of 23
Yes, point taken. The Pro-ject RPM9 must be a different beast entirely. Alas... I think it's my Debut that is the dog. Analogous to $150 cd player, what did I expect? I wish I could ship it to you to experience crappy vinyl.
mad.gif

Jan 20, 2004 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
I thought he primarily played synthesized instruments, so it would seem that is likely (with contemporary synthesizers) to be digital at some fundamental level.

Give him a try, he play mainly harp, I have never seen him live, but AFAIK he play only acoustic traditional harp, not electronic instruments, at least it doesn't sound like that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back