Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Jul 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #751 of 3,813
I ordered 6x dl92 ken rad tubes , so maybe some sorting is nessesary !

I would just drop him a line to make sure you say you want same batch Ken Rads as shown in the description.

I do want to ask as i see you have done it as has woodcans, what is the purpose of purchasing multiples of the same brand? Just curious.

By the way, I will say that every tube I have purchased from Robert have been dead silent tubes, not a noise apart from a very slight ting when tapped which is quite normal.

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #752 of 3,813
Quote:
I would just drop him a line to make sure you say you want same batch Ken Rads as shown in the description.

I do want to ask as i see you have done it as has woodcans, what is the purpose of purchasing multiples of the same brand? Just curious.

By the way, I will say that every tube I have purchased from Robert have been dead silent tubes, not a noise apart from a very slight ting when tapped which is quite normal.

i purchased 6 tubes (this is the real and honest reason) because i had the community in mind if why ever one of you were unable to get this tubes (before posting the link with the remaining 32 ones), as i purchased 2 additional sets of valvo and telefunken df91 and dl92 (in total 8 tubes) because i promised mr. künzig to buy them if he can´t sell the 2 times 10 pairs i gave him a guarantee for  (one order was cancelled, he said there is no need if i don´t want, but i did it).

Jul 4, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #753 of 3,813
Wow GG, what a wonderful thing to do! I just thought you might be doing experiments on them so needed multiples just in case say plating did not work!

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #755 of 3,813
What does this do to the sound GG?

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #756 of 3,813
some quick'n dirty tests with the gold plating kits:

the handheld tool is garbage, not worth the money at least to plate tube pins with gold. the problem is that you need a way to connect the pin(s) to ground of the 3 volt power supply but that is not shown in a picture you could see before buying.

so i had to use the small tub of the additional kit.

nevertheless also here is the problem how to connect the pins of the tube to ground.

some ideas were needed!

to connect all pins to ground i used a small metal sieve punching holes into it similar to the foam rubber disk:

now you can connect all pins at once to ground by pressing the tube pins through the holes and connecting ground to the sieve and then you can put the sieve with tube into the small tub with gold electrolyte:

so now the pins of the tube are plated with gold, 

but
- you have to polish them with the metal polish paste part of the kit after plating them
- some optimization is needed, the current and correct voltage are very important
- cleaning before is important
- for a real good result you need a power supply with adjustable voltage AND adjustable current

both the gold electrolyte and the metal polish paste smell like a dead rat in the corner!

ok, so some additional tests and a new tool i have an idea for are needed (and maybe a gas mask)!

Jul 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #757 of 3,813
Quote:
What does this do to the sound GG?

because of the higher impedance you can turn the volume much higher, the s/n signal to noise ratio is much better, hum and noise are nearly unhearable.

with the cayin ha-1a the sound is very clear but more on the brighter side, precise and nice highs, great detail and clarity here (at least in comparison to my other amps), but due to the now non existing damping factor (i think) all the magic, warmth, cave like sound is away.

cannot recommend it!

p.s. have you ever tried a rockboxed sandisk sansa clip+ ? you may miss the detail and resolution of a highend player, but the magic of the pf viii sound is definetely there!

I WANT MY TU-05 AMP HERE AND NOW ........!!!!

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #759 of 3,813
GG, You are incredible! I think it is safe to say you are the first person ever to DIY gold plate the pins on vacuum tubes, astonishing and innovative!

I feel your replicating with these ancient tubes the backroom boys in their white coats in some top secret research lab smoking a pipe and with brylcreem in your hair! And just in case the term backroom boy is not known outside England it is a term used in the last century to describe Boffins, scientists and engineers that were behind all the research and development of things back in the 20th century. Here is a cover of a book about them!

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #760 of 3,813
never heard of 'backroom boys' up to now, but just got a call from ian fleming to act as Q in one of the next james bond movies

James Bond
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif
7 'The Man with the gold plated Colt'

Jul 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #761 of 3,813
Love it! Will PM you in a little while.

Jul 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #762 of 3,813
i think to polish the pins i will make a wood disk similar to the wood disk i posted a picture of but with a slightly larger ring shaped into it and then fill that ring with a small ring cutted out of a piece of long-stranded carpet or the 'hairs' of a brush!

wish you all had a nice independent (thinking) day as i had!

Jul 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #763 of 3,813
Quote:
GG, You are incredible! I think it is safe to say you are the first person ever to DIY gold plate the pins on vacuum tubes, astonishing and innovative!

I feel your replicating with these ancient tubes the backroom boys in their white coats in some top secret research lab smoking a pipe and with brylcreem in your hair! And just in case the term backroom boy is not known outside England it is a term used in the last century to describe Boffins, scientists and engineers that were behind all the research and development of things back in the 20th century. Here is a cover of a book about them!

as you speak of scientists, yes, i have a (how to translate) master's degree in experimental nuclear physics.

Jul 4, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #765 of 3,813
as you speak of scientists, yes, i have a (how to translate) master's degree in experimental nuclear physics.

I have a friend in Vienna how is a Nuclear Physicist !

I love this thread, so many people with fascinating occupations!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back