Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Sep 28, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #2,371 of 3,813
Ahh, just found them! Oy vey, they are not cheap!

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #2,372 of 3,813
Some very interesting tests today:

I used my ($3000) RedWineAudio Bellina PRO HPA ( Tube DAC + AMP balanced) to do some tests :

V/S  

1 ) Compare the AMP part of the Bellina PRO to the TU-05 (RFT DF97+PHILCO 1S4)     

RWAK100 --> ToshLink -->  Bellina DAC --> (fixed) Line out --> TU-05.

Switching my TH900 between the internal headphone plug of the RWA and the headphone jack TU-O5, I found very close sound, but still I found the TU-05 more lively and warm. 

--> I preferred (by a hair) the TU-05 to the AMP part of the Bellina PRO  
biggrin.gif
 !   !  ! !

2 ) Compare the DAC of the Bellina Pro to the DAC of the RWAK100:

Switching between:
 -    RWAK100 --> ToshLink -->  Bellina DAC --> (fixed) Line out --> TU-05.
 -    RWAK100 --> headphone jack --> TU-05.

--> I very clearly prefered the TU-05 using the line out of the Bellina !   Much better than the RWAK100 headphone out !

Conclusion (already mentioned by other members):  TU-05 is a GREAT AMP, very Musical, BUT it deserves a VERY GOOD Source/DAC.  
--> The "Not a real line-out" of the RWAK100, and the "little AK100's internal DAC" do not do justice to the quality of the TU-05.

So, I wonder if the RWAK120-S (real line out) will be at the same high-quality level than the DAC/Line out of my Bellina PRO ??

And....  if I change source,  should't I look after an even better portable source for the TU-05 ?  But...is there a better  " battery operated " source than the RWAK120-S ??

Anyway, in the mean time I will "upgrade" my TU-05 with XLR & Damping materials (inside and outside) since all this ( Tool, self adesive damping plate & XLR plug) arrived today as well as some Cryo COOPER cable :  

Sep 28, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #2,373 of 3,813
Announced recently, the next Sony AUDIOPHILE walkman ZX1 (with 4" Screen, 128 Gb of storage and 24/192 support !).

and... It seems that there will be a possibility of "digital out" and also " line-OUT" through an adapter using the Sony WM-port  
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #2,374 of 3,813
Originally Posted by bmichels /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Conclusion (already mentioned by other members):  TU-05 is a GREAT AMP, very Musical, BUT it deserves a VERY GOOD Source/DAC.   

Great impressions. Do not know if you saw, but Vinne said this about differences: http://www.head-fi.org/t/663188/the-astell-kern-ak120/3780#post_9770144

You are probably better off waiting for next-gen AK series in development as not as if you are lacking in dacs right now. The new Sony looks expensively promising but seems to be Japan only so if no language selection in the menu that would kill it dead for me - funny the price does not
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #2,375 of 3,813
I forgot to say Bmichels (I got excited about my watch and forgot) The tubes you have are very similar to the ones I have though a few years younger. I would imagine they are very similar sounding.

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #2,376 of 3,813
thanks IAN.

I found some very high quality recording here from CHESKY Recording, using the binaural technique for 3d sound.

I bought this one where a voice explain before each track on what aspect of the music we need to focus in the comming track (resolution, stage, ...). This is for developping our "listening skill" and also to test our Audio equipments.  Very interesting...

And I also bought this one, in 3 various resolution: 16/44,  24/96  and 24/192  to test if I can hear a difference between the 3 versions (original recording is in 24bits/192mHz). I want indeed to see if I am right to always purchase my download in 24/96 instead of 24/192 when booth are available (I believe that 24/96 is the best compromise between size and quality and that 192 mHz do NOT mean a better sound. I will tell you soon....). 

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,377 of 3,813
no more activity on this thread ????  Are you all gone ?? 
confused.gif

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #2,380 of 3,813
I am still here. Relative lack of posts related to relative lack of listening time. :cry:

Same here, been on planes for the best part of the week so far so not much listening!

However, have gone back to the Brimar/Phillips combo which is one of my favourites!

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #2,381 of 3,813
I have been spending all my time listening, rather than posting.

The TU-05 is sounding superb.

It has got to the point that every other portable/transportable amplifier is ignored and that I am considering selling them all.

Been listening to Joanna Wang, didn't even realize that I had her in my library
confused_face_2.gif
 Love the tonality of her voice......................

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #2,382 of 3,813
Back from business trip in London. Also very busy! Hope to finaly fond the time to do m'y " XLR " mod !

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #2,383 of 3,813
Gavin, apart from a lot of travelling lately I am pretty much the same. I have done the tube rolling, now have found a couple of combinations that satisfy and in truth on extended listening are so close they are not really different but more, since getting the amp back I have just been listening, forgetting about "fixing" the sound with tube rolling and just enjoying the music.

I actually think the most worthwhile "tweak" I have done is giving the amp a good,isolated base and now I have that it just disappeared completely and all I am left with is music which is the whole point really eh!

I also think the addition of the AK120 has been an instrumental part of that and likewise I have found my perfect sonic signature in the T5P's.

I think the truest sign of how good this is is that I am listening to all my other music, the stuff that does not showcase the sonic highs but simply is music I love to listen to, big band, movie soundtracks, Americana, crooners and such!

I am really glad I purchased the AK120 and not the 901. I had not dipped my toe into the 901 thread for a while but was horrified when I did, overheating, buggy though the sound seems to be good, I wonder how much better it is over the AK120 when one takes into account all the negatives.

I also find it interesting that it has been out longer than the AK120 and yet no serious magazine or reviewer has got their hands on one ( I am talking proper HiFi press, not the website blogs) It seems consistently that people like Stereophile, The Absolute sound, HiFi+ and others have been praising the 120 to the hilt and yet no mention of the wunderkind 901.. I wonder why??

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #2,384 of 3,813
Is the HM-901 even distributed in Europe yet? It is peculiar how there was so much hype/expectation pre-launch and yet the actual DAP seems to be a bit of a damp squib. The ergonomics turned me off straight away, oh and a plastic body for that amount of coin, seriously?!? 

Quote:
Gavin, apart from a lot of travelling lately I am pretty much the same. I have done the tube rolling, now have found a couple of combinations that satisfy and in truth on extended listening are so close they are not really different but more, since getting the amp back I have just been listening, forgetting about "fixing" the sound with tube rolling and just enjoying the music.

I actually think the most worthwhile "tweak" I have done is giving the amp a good,isolated base and now I have that it just disappeared completely and all I am left with is music which is the whole point really eh!

I also think the addition of the AK120 has been an instrumental part of that and likewise I have found my perfect sonic signature in the T5P's.

I think the truest sign of how good this is is that I am listening to all my other music, the stuff that does not showcase the sonic highs but simply is music I love to listen to, big band, movie soundtracks, Americana, crooners and such!

I am really glad I purchased the AK120 and not the 901. I had not dipped my toe into the 901 thread for a while but was horrified when I did, overheating, buggy though the sound seems to be good, I wonder how much better it is over the AK120 when one takes into account all the negatives.

I also find it interesting that it has been out longer than the AK120 and yet no serious magazine or reviewer has got their hands on one ( I am talking proper HiFi press, not the website blogs) It seems consistently that people like Stereophile, The Absolute sound, HiFi+ and others have been praising the 120 to the hilt and yet no mention of the wunderkind 901.. I wonder why??

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #2,385 of 3,813

Personally, for me the 901 is easy enough to use, and the build isn't bad at all. It's no iphone, but I didn't buy it so I could stare at it, I bought it so I could listen to it. It really does sound wonderful balanced. Give it a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back