Analog Squared Paper Discussion Thread.
Aug 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,846 of 3,813
ianmedium - nice to hear from you - great that i got the same tubes - they were not to find at ebay.de (thanks timits i got them). i totally lost count and overview about my now more than 100 tubes, but i thought about the total time and cost of ownership, and using this amp, maybe a desktop version and the TU-06 (i am sure to buy one sooner or later), i think i now have enough tubes for the next 30 years, which in my experience with other equipment is a realistic lifetime for an amp!

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,847 of 3,813
You certainly have taken the title of tube king GG!

I can't show it right now as I can't seem to copy images from facebook on the iPad and then put them on here but when I get home I will share an image of my finished amp!
Shikada San just posted as picture of the amp with the green LED's and I m use say I am so glad I chose to do this!

Now, hopefully by this time next week I will be listening to it once more! :D

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,848 of 3,813
Quote:
You certainly have taken the title of tube king GG!

I can't show it right now as I can't seem to copy images from facebook on the iPad and then put them on here but when I get home I will share an image of my finished amp!
Shikada San just posted as picture of the amp with the green LED's and I m use say I am so glad I chose to do this!

Now, hopefully by this time next week I will be listening to it once more!
biggrin.gif

Would love to see the green tubes
size]

The TU-05 is very addictive. I have been listening on and off all day.......and can literally hear it opening up, by the hour!!!

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #1,849 of 3,813
Agh, I did not go for the green tubes in the end, it would have meant the amp board having to be rebuilt and I just did not want to take Shikada sans time away from building new amps. He is a one man band and time is money so I stuck with orange for the tubes. My idea is for the amp to look retro. As a child all the amps I remember had Orange tube glow and green LED's for the on off switch, kinda harks back to those days.

It's amazing to hear how the amp opens up before your very ears, have you tried the RWA 120 with it yet?

Oh, and I see Shikada San now uses an AK100 with the amp!

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #1,850 of 3,813
Quote:
Agh, I did not go for the green tubes in the end, it would have meant the amp board having to be rebuilt and I just did not want to take Shikada sans time away from building new amps. He is a one man band and time is money so I stuck with orange for the tubes. My idea is for the amp to look retro. As a child all the amps I remember had Orange tube glow and green LED's for the on off switch, kinda harks back to those days.

It's amazing to hear how the amp opens up before your very ears, have you tried the RWA 120 with it yet?

Oh, and I see Shikada San now uses an AK100 with the amp!

Not yet...just letting RWAK120S burn in a little to settle on the Wagnus S.......

The "green hornet" very cool Ian
size]

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #1,851 of 3,813
I love the "Green Hornet" nomenclature! From now on my amp shall be called.. "The Green Hornet"! :D

And talking of green, just got home so here is the picture as promised!

I think because the photo is taken real close up it looks white but looking at the smaller image on my desk top it is definitely an erie green glow.. Love it!

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #1,853 of 3,813
GG, there were three in mine.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #1,854 of 3,813
Quote:
I love the "Green Hornet" nomenclature! From now on my amp shall be called.. "The Green Hornet"!
biggrin.gif

And talking of green, just got home so here is the picture as promised!

I think because the photo is taken real close up it looks white but looking at the smaller image on my desk top it is definitely an erie green glow.. Love it!

That is fantastic Ian! I can't wait to see a pic that includes the orange glow of the tubes as well as the green from the volume, I am sure it is going to be killer!

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #1,855 of 3,813
okay - at the moment i am thinking of a bias switch that could easily be provided (even with other batteries) to have one, two, three ... batteries in line, so setting the bias voltage to one to n time the voltage of one battery if there are n batteries.

there are some pin compatible to dl92 tubes with -4.5V to -5V voltage.

i will send shikada-san an email to get the infomation which grid and anode voltage is applied to the dl92 (or just measure it) and more important which maximal current in total the amps internal 1.4V heater power regulator / stage can provide.

if the amp can provide enough current (500 mA) at least with power supply, the dl93 tubes could be used, they have a maximum output power of up to 0.6 watt (but also depends on the grid and anode voltage) , so it would be worth to try or maybe possible to connect the amp to high efficent loudspeakers!

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,856 of 3,813
okay - at the moment i am thinking of a bias switch that could easily be provided (even with other batteries) to have one, two, three ... batteries in line, so setting the bias voltage to one to n time the voltage of one battery if there are n batteries.

there are some pin compatible to dl92 tubes with -4.5V to -5V voltage.

i will send shikada-san an email to get the infomation which grid and anode voltage is applied to the dl92 (or just measure it) and more important which maximal current in total the amps internal 1.4V heater power regulator / stage can provide.

if the amp can provide enough current (500 mA) at least with power supply, the dl93 tubes could be used, they have a maximum output power of up to 0.6 watt (but also depends on the grid and anode voltage) , so it would be worth to try or maybe possible to connect the amp to high efficent loudspeakers!

GG, that would be amazing to have a bias pot of some sort, though I remember after 7 months use the batteries showed no signs of use and that is with a heck of a lot of tube rolling in that time! I think the next thing your going to have to create is a new case for the amp so you have a full sized desktop version!

That is fantastic Ian! I can't wait to see a pic that includes the orange glow of the tubes as well as the green from the volume, I am sure it is going to be killer!

Thanks mate, I am so looking forward to it coming home, you would not believe how much.. Now, must check what time it is in Japan, is it morning there yet! :D

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #1,857 of 3,813
Before posting impressions of tubes only compatible with a modification or the COMPATIBILITY AND POWERSAVE MOD i posted on page 121 of this thread, i post this lists to be sure that everybody is informed about full compatiblility or compatibility after modification for the different tube types. here only the 7pin socket compatible tubes are listed:

TU-05 TUBE COMPATIBILITY LIST:

DF91 STAGE:

tube same type heater voltage mA compatible (if) powersave mode remark
DF91 1T4, W17, 1K2, 1F3 1.4V  50mA yes no tested
1T4T 1T4SF 1.4V  25mA yes no tested
DF904 1U4 1.4V  50mA yes no tested
DF96 1AJ4, 1F33, EP202 1.4V  25mA yes no tested
DF97 1AN5 1.4V  25mA pin 4 and 5 connected no tested
1F34   1.2V  ? heater voltage resistor no not tested yet

DL92 STAGE:

tube same type heater voltage mA compatible (if) powersave mode remark  
DL92 3S4, VT-174, CV820 1.4V  2x50mA yes yes tested  
3S4T   1.4V  2x25mA yes yes tested  
DL91 1S4 1.4V  100mA pin one disconnected no tested  
1L33   1.4V  50mA pin one disconnected no tested  

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #1,859 of 3,813
Quote:
GG, that would be amazing to have a bias pot of some sort, though I remember after 7 months use the batteries showed no signs of use and that is with a heck of a lot of tube rolling in that time! I think the next thing your going to have to create is a new case for the amp so you have a full sized desktop version!
Thanks mate, I am so looking forward to it coming home, you would not believe how much.. Now, must check what time it is in Japan, is it morning there yet!
biggrin.gif

i thought of this, but a potentiometer would result in a continous flow of current limiting the lifetime of the batteries, just a switch świtching between one battery cell, two battery cells, three battery cells,i.e 1,5 Volt, 3.0 Volt, 4.5 Volt or whatever voltage the batteries used at the moment have.

hope you will receive your amp soon!

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #1,860 of 3,813
GG, I am going to pin that in post #3, thanks for taking the time and effort to make that!

WC, I am so happy your enjoying the amp, the closer we get to the music the better eh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back