Analog Devices High Performance Amplifier Kit? (56k Warning)
Jun 22, 2005 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Azure

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently got this in the mail and was curious as to exactly what it is and whether it would be of any benefit at all (I'm thinking it's just a set off very cheap chips that's worth <25 cents):
Case.jpg

(I took a look at the included cd but I didn't get much from it as it confused me with a lot of technical amplification terms)
Anybody else have this? It comes with 9 baggies that either have small chips or some strange plastic parts:
baggies.jpg

3 baggies have chips and those are AD8351ARMZ, AD8221ARM, and AD628ARM, these chips look like this:
chipclose.jpg

Underneath these baggies is a little tray that holds bigger chips:
opampnoflight.jpg

closeupopamp.jpg

The 3 dark/illegible ones have the following markings (From top to bottom):
8045A
>RDZDN

AD8139
>AR

AD8099
>ARDZ

So, what is this thing?

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 8
I see you have a AD823, I've used this in amps before (as have many others around here I believe) and it works pretty well.

Runs about $5 on Digi-key, so there goes your <$0.25 theory!

That AD8065 is also an amp chip some have used (not me) but it's only a single, so you'd need two for stereo

The AD8067 is probably somehow related to the 8065 (maybe a quad amp chip?) but you'd need to look at the datasheet to be sure.

Datasheets are your friend, as are trial and error. Only one way to find out what sounds good....

Who knows, maybe you'll hit on something noone else around here has yet bothered to try.
Where'd you get this little kit anyway?

Good luck

Jun 22, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 8
This kit has been around for a long time now and actually comes with a CDROM taped right to the top of the plastic case with all the various data sheets in pdf for printing.What you do not get is two of everything and some of the opamps are single opamps so a person would need to actually purchase a seconds for stereo use.

oh yeah.a couple are excellant for audio work but i leave it for others to decide which ones they like best......
cool.gif

Jun 22, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I'm thinking it's just a set off very cheap chips that's worth <25 cents):

Spoiled brat...
rolleyes.gif

That thing is a treasure box, with possibilities limited only by your imagination. Even thinking only in audio terms gives you a lot of options, and that's unnecessarily limiting.

Quote:

I took a look at the included cd but I didn't get much from it as it confused me with a lot of technical amplification terms

Study this.

Quote:

AD8099

That there is Analog's hottest chip at the moment. Unfortunately, I think it's that quad-pack one, so it'll be difficult to DIY.

The AD8065 is also nice for audio, but you'll need at least one more to do stereo.

Quote:

This kit has been around for a long time now

Yes, but they've changed the chips they include since the one I received in 2002. Here's my review, for what little it may be worth now.

Jun 23, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 8
what no AD8620. High performance my ar....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back