an upgrade from sony xb500? (180$ budget)
Feb 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sloomingbla

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys i just joined head fi and was wondering what a suitable upgrade would be for my xb500's.

I love the bass in them but the treble is really lacking, and i was thinking the ultrasone hfi 580's would be a good enough upgrade as people say they have really 'full' bass and the treble isnt terrible either.

i wanted to check here first to see what you guys thought, and maybe get some more suggestions?

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Hey guys i just joined head fi and was wondering what a suitable upgrade would be for my xb500's.
I love the bass in them but the treble is really lacking, and i was thinking the ultrasone hfi 580's would be a good enough upgrade as people say they have really 'full' bass and the treble isnt terrible either.
I wanted to check here first to see what you guys thought, and maybe get some more suggestions?

Might help to know what source(s) you plugging headphones into?

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 12
oh yeah, sorry. i mainly just use my phone and my computer, although i would be willing to get an amp.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 12
I would say to install an Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card into the computer.

May not need to add anything to the phone, but getting a Fiio E11 or E12 might help a little.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 12
okay, cool. so those headphones are a good choice? cant seem to find many others that have nice bass and atleast decent treble.

Feb 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
okay, cool. so those headphones are a good choice? cant seem to find many others that have nice bass and at least decent treble.

I really do not know much about Ultrasone headphones, but never really hear anything negative said about them.
My suggestions for the sound card and amping is more for headphones in general, then about using the Ultrasones.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #8 of 12
Just reporting back, as you can see from my pic i ended up getting the hfi 580's, with a fiio e11 amp. I llooovvveee em.

Mar 20, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 12
Good to hear! I got the XB700's when I started and didn't know much about headphones. Now I couldn't stand to listen to them. Luckily, with the recent discontinuation of the old XB line, secondhand prices for them have gone through the roof, so I was able to get rid of them and not suffer any buyer's remorse.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 12
Yeah, i started out with some 30$ skull candy, then i heard beats, which led me to the xb500's. Then i found this forum. And now im slowly converting into an audiophile, but for now i still like my fair share of bass 
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back