An interesting article about Super tweeters from Jim leSurf - why content above 20 KHz might be audible after all , sort of ...
Feb 4, 2016 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

nick_charles

Headphoneus Supremus
Jim leSurf is a retired professor of Physics & Electronics  at St Andrews University in this page he talks about Super Tweeters  LINK - and his general audio pages are always fascinating !

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 6
So basically he's positing that a super tweeter may be 'audible; if the crossover mucks with frequencies in the audible range.

Okay, sure --- but also a bit 'well, duh....'

Feb 5, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 6
  So basically he's positing that a super tweeter may be 'audible; if the crossover mucks with frequencies in the audible range.

Okay, sure --- but also a bit 'well, duh....'

Maybe, but how many people have extolled with supertweets that can be switched off that they can hear a difference and never think the reason is still in the audible range?  In my experience about 100% admittedly with only a few people having such a speaker.

Jim LeSurf writes pretty solid articles and many are quite interesting. 

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 6

how many people have extolled with supertweets that can be switched off that they can hear a difference and never think the reason is still in the audible range?  In my experience about 100% admittedly with only a few people having such a speaker.

In my experience, it would be closer to 0% but admittedly my experience is mainly audio pros and I don't know any audiophiles with super-tweeters.

Let's not forget, that even with super-tweeter crossover distortion, it might still represent an "improvement" under certain conditions. If, for example, we are playing high sample rate files with significant ultra-sonic content, it's entirely plausible that the distortion of a super-tweeter's crossover is less than the IMD of a standard speaker system trying to reproduce that same ultra-sonic content. Ergo, the super-tweeter system could measure (and sound) better.

Obviously the best solution is to avoid both super-tweeter crossover distortion and IMD in the first place, by not having a super-tweeter in the chain and by band-limiting the signal to near the limits of a standard speaker system (20kHz ish). Which is why I recommend no higher than 44.1 or 48kHz sample rates as a consumer distribution format.

G

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 6
Speakers have problems with phase-alignment that have most impact at high frequencies. A 1kHz tone has a wavelength of ~34cm, a 15kHz tone has a wavelength of  ~2cm. The shorter the wavelength, the greater any impact of a small physical mis-alignment. Most speakers avoid this by using a single radiator to handle the entire high-frequency spectrum, and he's pointing out that introducing an extra radiator that covers this area can result in serious problems (unless the design specifically addresses this issue). Plopping a supertweeter on top of your existing cabinets is practically guaranteed to produce audible changes simply by de/constructive interference.

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Sometimes I'm so glad I use electrostats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back