An IEM with Eterna like bass and soundstage, But Forward Vocals
Mar 19, 2011 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

aurnob88

100+ Head-Fier
Is there such a thing. A bassy iem with forward vocals.

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 23
I read this review and in my mind it looks like an iem you might love. the ecci pr401
Brainwanz M2 is also a good recommendation.
Btw you have eterna and you didnt like them?

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #3 of 23
if your budget can handle it maybe re262 or even the monster miles davis tribs
the shure 215's have been getting a lot of positive reviews as well, described as bassy with good mids

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
I read this review and in my mind it looks like an iem you might love. the ecci pr401
Brainwanz M2 is also a good recommendation.
Btw you have eterna and you didnt like them?

Thanks for that. I do have the Eterna Rev.1 (re-released), and even though I do like them, I found them to be a bit to bassy and boomy sometimes, and the mids/vocals go to far back sometimes in many songs making them sound distant, which I don't like.

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 23
Here is review for them and also check out joker massive review threat were you can actually compare the eterna and ecci pr401. Here you are

But then again i dont think they are consider much of an upgrade. I have the brainwavz proalpha and have full sound, with great bass. Its controlled and impactful while the treble remains very good. Highs are there and well defined. If i take the words from some reviewers brainwavz m2 should be even better than my pro alpha and a bit more balanced than the eterna.

As an other option i would suggest the phonak audeo perfect bass. If i were to buy an iem i would choose the phonak pfe 122 because the sound is more balanced.
But then again phonak pfe 012 are cheaper and lean towards your signature you prefer. 
Actually if i recall correct from clieos review of the pfe 012, they are the same with 122 but with different filters.
Check it here

Hope i helped

Mar 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
Here is review for them and also check out joker massive review threat were you can actually compare the eterna and ecci pr401. Here you are

But then again i dont think they are consider much of an upgrade. I have the brainwavz proalpha and have full sound, with great bass. Its controlled and impactful while the treble remains very good. Highs are there and well defined. If i take the words from some reviewers brainwavz m2 should be even better than my pro alpha and a bit more balanced than the eterna.

As an other option i would suggest the phonak audeo perfect bass. If i were to buy an iem i would choose the phonak pfe 122 because the sound is more balanced.
But then again phonak pfe 012 are cheaper and lean towards your signature you prefer. 
Actually if i recall correct from clieos review of the pfe 012, they are the same with 122 but with different filters.
Check it here

Hope i helped

HI, yeah thanks for your help. But the truth is, I've read CLieos's and Joker's threads literally maybe a hundred times each, so I know all the facts about IEM's, yet still forget everything cause there are so many.

I'll keep reading around, but I encourage suggestions.

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 23
Perhaps Joker or clieOS might help you out.

I have both Brainwavz M2 and ECCI PR401, but have not heard Eterna V1 or V2. I would think both M2 and PR401 would have less bass quantity when compared to Eterna. M2 does have forward and warm mids, but it's bass is smooth and soft without much impact. It has good mid/upper bass quantity, but would not extend to the lowest lows. ECCI PR401 has less bass quantity than M2, but packs more punch. It's slightly V-shaped and so has better treble than M2. But mids are slightly recessed though they are very clear. If you are looking for something that does bass like Eterna, I guess you won't be satisfied with either. Coming to sound stage, I've read that Eterna is very spacious, but it's difficult to compare until I try Eterna myself. But, M2 would be a bit constrained in spaciousness as it lacks depth. PR401 would sound more open and spacious, though I won't say it's sound stage width and depth are the best I've heard. I am speculating that both would fall short of Eterna when it comes to sheer size of sound stage, though PR401 would be better than M2.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Perhaps Joker or clieOS might help you out.

I have both Brainwavz M2 and ECCI PR401, but have not heard Eterna V1 or V2. I would think both M2 and PR401 would have less bass quantity when compared to Eterna. M2 does have forward and warm mids, but it's bass is smooth and soft without much impact. It has good mid/upper bass quantity, but would not extend to the lowest lows. ECCI PR401 has less bass quantity than M2, but packs more punch. It's slightly V-shaped and so has better treble than M2. But mids are slightly recessed though they are very clear. If you are looking for something that does bass like Eterna, I guess you won't be satisfied with either. Coming to sound stage, I've read that Eterna is very spacious, but it's difficult to compare until I try Eterna myself. But, M2 would be a bit constrained in spaciousness as it lacks depth. PR401 would sound more open and spacious, though I won't say it's sound stage width and depth are the best I've heard. I am speculating that both would fall short of Eterna when it comes to sheer size of sound stage, though PR401 would be better than M2.

YEah, the Eterna's are quite spacious and sometimes I can mistake them to sound half close to a full sized closed can as the soundstage is that good.

Also, let me reiterate the title, I don't like the amount of bass the eterna's give out, I would be happy with quite a bit less quanitity and boominess (atleast 60% of Eterna's quantity). So maybe the M2's might be enough.

I just want much more forwards vocals and mids, and although I have a Vsonic R02 which does that, it lacks bass and airiness, and also its fit and build quality isnt at all up to Eterna's standards.

Mar 20, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #10 of 23
Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the 60% of Eterna's bass bit. But for forward mids without lacking bass, Brainwavz M2/M3 and Xears TDIII are good choices among the ones I've heard. TDIII has build quality issues. M2 would not be as airy. M3 has lesser bass quantity than M2, but gains more in sound stage size and sweetness of mids. In all cases, you'll lose the sound stage size of Eterna.

At the > $100 range, there's RE262, which has sound stage size and forward, warm, smooth mids. But it lacks airiness, would have lesser quantity of bass and would need an amp (unless you are ok with it draining battery at twice the speed).

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the 60% of Eterna's bass bit. But for forward mids without lacking bass, Brainwavz M2/M3 and Xears TDIII are good choices among the ones I've heard. TDIII has build quality issues. M2 would not be as airy. M3 has lesser bass quantity than M2, but gains more in sound stage size and sweetness of mids. In all cases, you'll lose the sound stage size of Eterna.

At the > $100 range, there's RE262, which has sound stage size and forward, warm, smooth mids. But it lacks airiness, would have lesser quantity of bass and would need an amp (unless you are ok with it draining battery at twice the speed).

yeah, i was definitely considering the re262's after hearing about their mids, but now as im listening to the eterna's, i find the soundstage so awesome and immersive, although the headphones are not as engaging as a midcentric iem

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
If you are not averse to the idea, why not keep Eterna and get M2? Try them both for sometime and sell the one which you like less.

I see you have the triple fi. 10's, how are they in your opinion. also, do you thik the dba-02's would suit me at all;

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
If you are not averse to the idea, why not keep Eterna and get M2? Try them both for sometime and sell the one which you like less.

i was also considering this option, and maybe i will. do you think the m2's are worth getting, do you enjoy their sound? also, do they have decent bass punch in your opinion

Mar 20, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:
I see you have the triple fi. 10's, how are they in your opinion. also, do you thik the dba-02's would suit me at all;

I don't hear the mids of TF10 to be as recessed as most people here do. It has excellent bass with great attack, speed & punch along with good treble. But, fit is horrible for most people. Even though I have nothing to complain about fit and seal, I don't like how they stick out of my ears
rolleyes.gif
. I consider TF10 to be an out and out fun IEM - something I can enjoy once I have them in my ears. Not many people here consider them so (except may be clieOS, mvw2 and few others). But, mids and Vocals are not the strong areas for TF10. TF10 might sound a tad artificial with vocals, which is why I did not include it in my short list. But, if you are prepared to experiment with fit, by all means take a chance.

Would DBA-02 suit your requirement? I doubt it. The bass would seem deficient coming from Eterna for sure. It's sound stage is not as spacious either. When I think of DBA-02, I remember the treble. Coming from Eterna, it may be a handful to handle as I read that Eterna's treble is largely inoffensive on the ears.

Quote:
i was also considering this option, and maybe i will. do you think the m2's are worth getting, do you enjoy their sound? also, do they have decent bass punch in your opinion

Do I like it? Yes. It is one of the few fatigue free IEMs I have despite the fact that it's treble is not something suitable for my tastes. Another reason why I like the M2 is that I can listen at much lower volume than most other IEMs (through Clip+). So, even in noisy environments, it gives me plenty of headroom.

M2's bass is soft and smooth on the ears. The bass is fine with texture, quantity and details, but it lacks the extension and punch. ECCI PR401 does better in that regard. M2 fits your requirement of forward midrange with good bass. It's treble stays slightly recessed, inoffensive, devoid of much sparkle or extension, so it won't draw your attention much
wink.gif
. Unless you are looking for something with better treble, M2 is a good choice. Otherwise, consider Xears TDIII. It has a lush, sweet, forward midrange which may not be as forward as M2, but slightly better overall when it comes to sound stage, balance and presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back