An (even easier) AKG K550 Small Head Mod
Feb 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #31 of 44
Hey!
I have a relatively small head, and I'm a girl, so I'm guessing my head will be quite a bit smaller than even a small guys head... Do you think the elastic band mod would work for me?
Any small-headed girls out there had experience of these phones and how they fit?
Ta muchly for any advice people have :)
Jess x

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #32 of 44
Quote:
Hey!
I have a relatively small head, and I'm a girl, so I'm guessing my head will be quite a bit smaller than even a small guys head... Do you think the elastic band mod would work for me?
Any small-headed girls out there had experience of these phones and how they fit?
Ta muchly for any advice people have
smily_headphones1.gif

Jess x

I'm not a girl, but I imagine so. I mean, my wife's head is bigger than mine but she also has more hair. It's completely reversible so if it doesn't work, you haven't done anything permanent to your 550's.

On a side note, since it's during the winter, I've been listening to the K550's while wearing my winter cap (sort of like a ski hat) and it puts just enough extra girth around my head to make the K550 fit nice and snug..lol

so there's that...

May 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #36 of 44
Hello, what about replacing the pads with Sony XB700 earpads? They are really huge, I have the xb700 and I will buy the K550 soon.

I would also be interested to see how they fit, but they are huge...pillow-like...I suspect they would push the K550 drivers even further away from the ear making it sound thinner.

Those pads heat up real quick too...one of the reasons I ultimately sold my XB 700.

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #37 of 44
I tried the elastic mod (only had one elastic) on one side, but was concerned that the crease in the pleather would stay, as it was pretty significant. I get the idea, though, and may try again.

I've now done the from the outside stuffing mod using shoelaces, but I am also concerned that it will dampen sound.
I've done this so that I've pushed them super far to the edge - so that if I run my finger around the inside of the cup I feel the plastic ring outside the material covering the driver before I feel the shoelace. Is this appropriate? Is this dangerous for the 'phone?

Thanks for the suggestions as well, everyone.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #39 of 44
Hey guys, I'm quite new to this sort of thing and am looking for some help. I've recently purchased a pair of these headphones. I'm pleased with the way they sound and believe they provide a good seal on my head when wearing them at the '1' indent at both sides of the headband. However I find they become very uncomfortable and difficult to wear after about an hour's use. The headband seems to be digging in to the very top of my head and causes quite a lot of pain, so much so that I can't really wear them more than an hour. It's a real shame as I was impressed by the sound of these. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I could prevent this? Like I said I think I'm getting a good seal at '1' so not sure the elastic band mod will do anything. I've tried using the '2' or '3' at each indent but this doesn't seem to do much and the headphones feel a lot less secure on my head (and probably don't have quite as good a seal). Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Just got them out for a go again after a long time sat in the cupboard after being left a bit disheartened by the discomfort. Have read some of the posts on here and some people say they position the headband a lot further back than they would normally. Gave this a go and it has helped - been listening to these for about an hour and a half and in considerably less pain than I was before. Seems like good positioning and fit  is key with these headphones. The pain may not be as bad but it is however still there. Again any suggestions are welcome.

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #40 of 44
Hey guys, I'm quite new to this sort of thing and am looking for some help. I've recently purchased a pair of these headphones. I'm pleased with the way they sound and believe they provide a good seal on my head when wearing them at the '1' indent at both sides of the headband. However I find they become very uncomfortable and difficult to wear after about an hour's use. The headband seems to be digging in to the very top of my head and causes quite a lot of pain, so much so that I can't really wear them more than an hour. It's a real shame as I was impressed by the sound of these. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I could prevent this? Like I said I think I'm getting a good seal at '1' so not sure the elastic band mod will do anything. I've tried using the '2' or '3' at each indent but this doesn't seem to do much and the headphones feel a lot less secure on my head (and probably don't have quite as good a seal). Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Just got them out for a go again after a long time sat in the cupboard after being left a bit disheartened by the discomfort. Have read some of the posts on here and some people say they position the headband a lot further back than they would normally. Gave this a go and it has helped - been listening to these for about an hour and a half and in considerably less pain than I was before. Seems like good positioning and fit  is key with these headphones. The pain may not be as bad but it is however still there. Again any suggestions are welcome.

I had the very same problem. The solution for me was to set them bigger (from 2 to 4/5 - felt awkward) and bent the headband. Worked well for me!

(I probably just got used to it - they were my only headphones at that time.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back