An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Aug 27, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #9,331 of 9,499
Finished watching The Trial of Oppenheimer. Britain killed Turing and America sacrificed Oppenheimer.

His lawyers closing argument that "America must not devour it's own children" is terrifying.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #9,333 of 9,499
I see them everywhere still, but I don't think that's a testament to their longevity, it only means Ford sold a ****-ton of them. :D Coincidentally, we recently bought a minty `89 SHO with only 16k miles on the clock. It's not just clean, it's spotless, and all original (including tires, which was a little scary). It took about $2k to make it roadworthy, because all the fluids have turned into sludge and it needed new rubber, but it may be the nicest 1st gen SHO in existence. It makes a surprisingly European sound, a neat trick since it's a Yamaha-sourced engine in an American car, and handles like a same-year 5 series (but originally cost slightly more than half as much). So while I did pay almost the same price as when it was new ($17k), I feel I got my money's worth.

Also I just got back from Sweden where they took my measurements for the Regera, I also went on a private tour (led by Christian) of the Koenigsegg factory and got to drive a Regera and a One:1 on their test track. Although they're visually similar in some ways, many of the same Koenigsegg design cues, they're very different cars to drive. While the latter is more track focused and more edgy in its handling, the Regera is buttery smooth, Veyron smooth, but unlike the Bugatti it can corner on a dime and give you back some change. The acceleration is ballistic, like a heavily steroided Tesla P85D on crack. 0-100kph times were <3 sec, about 2.5, but the real story is 100-370kph, which happens in substantially less time than most supercars can finish the 1/4 mi, without splashing your drink. Seriously, the only notion you have that you're accelerating that rapidly are the g-forces mashing you into the seat (and everything around you going by in a blur). I can't compare the sensation to anything else because I've driven nothing else like it, journalists and professional reviewers are going to lose their minds. :eek:

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #9,334 of 9,499
The Taurii are everywhere because they were a de facto fleet car. I had them for years at several different companies. Rental agencies loved them too.

I am a little bemused here though. I had actually never conceived of them and the K'eggs being in the same post.
blink.gif

In other news. Picked up a pair of Beats Solo HD's for $1.99. Sonically I overpaid. How can you mess up a dual driver soooo badly??

I will give them their due. Extruded aluminum backbone headband, 5 screws holding the driver in, gasket between pad and baffle. Arguably one of the best built headphones I have ever seen. If they had put that much effort into the sound sig these would have rivaled the best out there. 

As it sits, they are either a modders wet dream or the best portable transplant candidates ever.

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #9,335 of 9,499
  The Taurii are everywhere because they were a de facto fleet car. I had them for years at several different companies. Rental agencies loved them too.

I am a little bemused here though. I had actually never conceived of them and the K'eggs being in the same post.
blink.gif

In other news. Picked up a pair of Beats Solo HD's for $1.99. Sonically I overpaid. How can you mess up a dual driver soooo badly??

I will give them their due. Extruded aluminum backbone headband, 5 screws holding the driver in, gasket between pad and baffle. Arguably one of the best built headphones I have ever seen. If they had put that much effort into the sound sig these would have rivaled the best out there. 

As it sits, they are either a modders wet dream or the best portable transplant candidates ever.

I put some PortaPro drivers in a pair of fake Solos at one point, and after adding some damping they weren't half bad. Have fun with them.

As for the Koenigsegg post, I can't even wrap my mind around what it must be like to drive the One:1. I think I'd be in a wall before I even realized I had put my foot on the gas.

Sep 1, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #9,336 of 9,499

I put some PortaPro drivers in a pair of fake Solos at one point, and after adding some damping they weren't half bad. Have fun with them.

As for the Koenigsegg post, I can't even wrap my mind around what it must be like to drive the One:1. I think I'd be in a wall before I even realized I had put my foot on the gas.

Good thoughts. I have some spare porta drivers (as well as some Slammhammers and and AKG K26 that might do) experimentation is the word of the day.

That type of performance is usually reserved for things like L39's  and Alpha jets. Quite rightfully too, as when you have 3 dimensions to muck about with the chances of bumping into something inadvertently at speed become exponentially lower than they do on any given track.

Speed is something one must become accustomed too and the more wiggle room you have the better your chances are of getting to "The next level" intact.

That said even the greats like Dick Bong got caught out with a generationally superior change. The P38 ace was killed by americas first jet fighter prototype.

Sorry if there is some wandering and incoherence here. Loathe as I am to expound on personal medical issues, a Yellow Jacket made off with a part of my ring finger today and I have exhausted the medicine cabinets contents attempting to quell the shooting pain.

IBID:

Bless the modern pharmacom's. I was just sitting on the front porch and would swear that a pristine Silver Ramblerghini Uraco
just drove by. Now that has to be some form of flashback
eek.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #9,337 of 9,499
This one will likely sell for a lot, because BAT auction, but it's the MINI to buy. Although it has the mods that I would want (I'd also add Koni 8-way dampers), and it has later S wheels, they will hurt the value. Still, this would be a nice DD, provided you like living dangerously (the sheet metal used is shockingly thin). Oh, you want real seat belts? lol

I love my G1 Austin, it's probably my favorite micro car.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1961-austin-se7en-mini/

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #9,338 of 9,499
I'm a little alarmed at the wheel/tire combo. I really cannot fathom why you would have those on there for the sale photos.

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #9,339 of 9,499
I'm a little alarmed at the wheel/tire combo. I really cannot fathom why you would have those on there for the sale photos.

I kinda like it. Granted, the tires are too big for the wheels, but at least one can count on very predictable breakaway characteristics. :D

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #9,341 of 9,499
I was going to talk about the BRZ we bought for tuning, but it keeps breaking, before we've had a chance to do anything with it. I'm not joking, it's been in for warranty service 3 times in a month (engine leak, bad gearbox, broken rear stabilizer). Why are people raving about these? :confused:

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #9,342 of 9,499
I was going to talk about the BRZ we bought for tuning, but it keeps breaking, before we've had a chance to do anything with it. I'm not joking, it's been in for warranty service 3 times in a month (engine leak, bad gearbox, broken rear stabilizer). Why are people raving about these?
confused.gif

Shoulda bought the Scion
blink.gif

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #9,343 of 9,499

The One:1 was fast, really fast, but not so far beyond my CCXR as to be too noticeable, with the exception of difference in gearboxes. The Regera though, that's on an entirely different plane compared to anything else I've ever driven. Top fuel dragsters are quicker of course, but you're basically just sitting on a huge motor attached to a gas tank, and it sounds, feels, and smells like it.

Since there are no gears you essentially have all 1500ft/lbs of torque all the time, and though the media says it has a "mere" 1500hp, that's not accurate. 1500hp is the minimum you can expect whenever you fully engage the throttle, if there's more power available, you'll get it. In fact, with a full charge in Track mode it makes closer to 1800... in a car that's as comfortable and nicely appointed as an Aston Martin. It's 100% nucking futs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back