An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Feb 11, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #8,146 of 9,499
No idea, but I found out what happened to the new Lola T70 relaunch: http://broadleyautomotive.co.uk/broadley-t76-mk3b

That's not the worst way to spend $300k.

Feb 11, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #8,147 of 9,499
No idea, but I found out what happened to the new Lola T70 relaunch: http://broadleyautomotive.co.uk/broadley-t76-mk3b

That's not the worst way to spend $300k.

GT40 be damned, The T70 MKIIIB has always been my favourite car of all time. I always wondered what happened to the ones Lucas used to film THX 1138.

At least the Website is still around. http://www.new-stratos.com/en/#/article/a2

I think Acura should have hired these dudes to do the new NSX!

Feb 12, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #8,150 of 9,499
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/toyota-releases-detailed-group-b-mr2-pics-1557970534

So, I have to wonder where the 3rd car is hiding. "Lost" covers a lot of ground.

Maybe was taken apart to build another racer/prototype? That happens from time to time.

I may (actually DO) sound bad when I say this but Group B cars really make me kinda-sorta wish we didn't care about safety so much x_x . My father and I were talking about this recently, how in F1 the specter of death is almost completely gone. Sure you can still get seriously injured in all forms of racing, but it just feels like we've lost something.

Of course runaway budgets also have a lot to do with what we have today in Indy, Rally, F1, etc..... but some of the "fun" went missing (admittedly along with untimely deaths) when we took away the 1500 Hp IMSA racers and insane Groub B cars.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/racings-the-last-golden-era-the-1980s/

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #8,151 of 9,499

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/toyota-releases-detailed-group-b-mr2-pics-1557970534
  So, I have to wonder where the 3rd car is hiding. "Lost" covers a lot of ground.

Maybe was taken apart to build another racer/prototype? That happens from time to time.

I may (actually DO) sound bad when I say this but Group B cars really make me kinda-sorta wish we didn't care about safety so much x_x . My father and I were talking about this recently, how in F1 the specter of death is almost completely gone. Sure you can still get seriously injured in all forms of racing, but it just feels like we've lost something.

Of course runaway budgets also have a lot to do with what we have today in Indy, Rally, F1, etc..... but some of the "fun" went missing (admittedly along with untimely deaths) when we took away the 1500 Hp IMSA racers and insane Groub B cars.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/racings-the-last-golden-era-the-1980s/

I'm trying to look at vehicle safety as part of the performance package as a whole. If you build the car stronger and with safety in mind it should in theory allow for a faster vehicle. Where I have issue is the inclusion of technology limiting factors in series which are supposed to represent the epitiome of automotive technology. When that happens you have management throttling the flow of tech and development and that is not good for anyone at all.
The largest issue with group B was it was killing fans. Killing the paying public is not a way to retain favour in any sport. They could have imposed security and kept the throngs back but really that is the charm of watching a WRC event the closeness and intimacy.
Then you had the Delta which of course killed drivers. That most likely could have been cured in design, but  by that time the writing was on the wall (road).
I haven't bothered to look at it in depth but I am curious to see how fast the current gen WRC cars are in comparison.

With F1, I cannot seriously believe that they would be putting kid in diapers behind the wheel were it not for the evolution of the cars. In the days of the BT50, 126C2, and RE30B, they would be dead within 3 corners on a qually motor.

Racing improves the breed.

Over regulated Racing retards it:wink:

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #8,153 of 9,499
I agree Hutnicks, Indy cars were pushing what 240 MPH at Indianapolis in '96, last year it was 220. With improvements in technology shouldn't we be seeing 260 MPH laps or so? F1 is the same way, I think they are still down something like 4 seconds from the times in 2008 at Cataluynya. Thats on top of a huge slow-down after they went to one tire manufacturer.

Would also be interested in rally time comparison, not sure where they have raced that the path would remain almost identical for dozens of years, Pikes Peak used to help but the road keeps gaining pavement.

Feb 12, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #8,154 of 9,499
This felt relevant for some reason.

"Drag was better understood and incrementally reduced, meaning that by the end of the decade top speeds for the prototypes were up to the 240mph mark, with the WM-Peugeot of 1988 even reaching 252mph on the Hunaudières straight leading to Mulsanne, making it the fastest racing car ever. "

​

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #8,155 of 9,499
Yeah!

"At the Mexican GP, Berger reported wheelspin in 6th gear at 345 km/h."

Benetton-B1861-640x428.jpg

Lets see Britney Rosberg try and handle that.

Feb 12, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #8,157 of 9,499

"At the Mexican GP, Berger reported wheelspin in 6th gear at 345 km/h."

Yeah, they were really draggy

Quote:

Lets see Britney Rosberg try and handle that.

I wouldn't underestimate the current drivers, I'd put Lulu up against any of them at their best in any circuit racer (allowing each to acclimatise to the vehicle used, of course ).

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #8,158 of 9,499
  I wouldn't underestimate the current drivers, I'd put Lulu up against any of them at their best in any circuit racer (allowing each to acclimatise to the vehicle used, of course ).

I don't underestimate them at all. I simply think the newgen cars allow for weaker drivers to get rides where in past days they'd never have survived test sessions. There is a reason Hammer has his second WDC and that other guy doesn't have any.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #8,159 of 9,499
We've been running an ad in local newspapers and magazines stating that we buy "newer and classic exotic cars", and out of the 500+ calls we've received we've netted 3 calls about actual exotics. No, your `96 Merc E-Class isn't exotic, and it sure isn't a classic, and neither is an `04 Corvette, or your uncle's `99 XK8, sorry. At first I didn't think this was either, but I changed my mind.

It's an `88 944 Turbo Cup, in America. Crazy. It appears it was imported new into Canada, raced in national GT competition, then retired and restored for road use. Pretty radical for performance too, tuned to 430 hp & 405 ft-lbs, with upgraded plumbing, larger intercooler, 997 brakes and wheels, and a 968 turbo gearbox and diff. Such a smooth ride too, so much better than any other 944 I've ever driven. I almost screwed up and told him I'd buy it before he even told me how much he wanted for it. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back