An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Aug 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #7,277 of 9,499
I have to say that it looks a lot better to me in grey than it did in its original red. More mature.

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #7,278 of 9,499
No, not driven it, but I sat in it and saw it drive by.

It's a grey-green metallic, like the Caddie Stormy Grey. Very badass.

The Toyota rep said, "it's essentially the prototype for the new Supra". SHEEIIIIT, sign me up. :cool:

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #7,279 of 9,499

The Toyota rep said, "it's essentially the prototype for the new Supra". SHEEIIIIT, sign me up.
cool.gif

New Supra? Did he say how much it would cost? Seems like it would be a practical first car 
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #7,280 of 9,499

The Toyota rep said, "it's essentially the prototype for the new Supra". SHEEIIIIT, sign me up.
cool.gif

Was this guy legit or some salesdweeb? I am somehow skeptical that that vehicle would make it to mass production as the Supra.

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #7,281 of 9,499
I'm loving the R&S experience, lots more fun than sitting in an assigned seat surrounded by stuffed shirts.

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #7,282 of 9,499
Snagged a minty, perfect (Euro spec) `86 Ferrari 328 GTS, 25k miles, corsa red and saddle int, for $52k (w/ BP). That's too much really, but it's the prettiest I've ever seen.

Edit: This one

aaaaand, we won a Vector W8. :blink: I wasn't there (RM auction), and it wasn't even by phone. We made a lowball absentee bid ($275k), one of 3 for this weekend with them, and the bidding stalled at 250k... then, inexplicably, they took off the reserve. I just, well, don't know what to say. They typically go for north of half a million, and it's in decent, if slightly neglected condition (it runs without any major issues). So, "yay"? It makes no sense at all, but I'll take it. We have the perfect spot picked out. There's a video of it on Youtube, even. :rolleyes:

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #7,283 of 9,499
Oh, and, the Holy Grail is available on ebay. :wink: A little history. The existence of this particular comic has been known for decades, but the owner was very selective about who was allowed to see it and never had it graded professionally. That infused it with a certain mystique. "How does it compare to other high grade examples?" "Is it really the best in the world?"

Well, it is, or rather, it's tied for best. There is another 9.0 graded Action #1. However, that one has a slightly more appealing cover with fewer creases and defects, while the one up for sale now is one of only two examples known to have pristine white pages. In fact, if you took the pages from one and put them into the cover of the other, you'd have a 9.4 or 9.6 condition book (it doesn't really work that way, but strictly speaking, that's what it would be). Personally, I'd rather have the book with the better interior condition because it signifies that the overall "health" of the book is much higher. Meaning it'll still be around long after the other has turned brown and brittle, like high acid content pulp paper has a tendency to do.

Seriously, it's the best condition copy in the world and will never come up for sale again (at least not in my lifetime). How could anyone who is a hardcore comic collector, and has the means, pass up on owning this book?

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #7,284 of 9,499
First the Wector (whats up with the engine sound, somebody slip a Diesel in there?) Then a 2 meg comic book (house in the south of France would win out over that any day).

(Imagine thick Scottish Brogue) Ha'ye bumped yer head laddie?

It is nice to see the 3X8 series starting to move a little though.

Aug 16, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #7,285 of 9,499
I'm looking forward to hearing more about that Vector, since they're shrouded in so much legend among car guys. Have you seen the one you won in person yet?

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #7,286 of 9,499
Yeah, I saw it on Thursday. It needs some work mechanically, due to neglect (par for the course), but cosmetically it's almost like new. That's just a major puzzler, it could have gone for a lot more through private sale. The only thing I can figure is the seller wanted to take a loss, which does happen sometimes.

Then a 2 meg comic book (house in the south of France would win out over that any day).

I don't want a house in the south of France. EU property taxes are a nightmare, especially for non-resident aliens (the UK isn't bad). New Zealand's the only other country I'd want to live in, and even then I don't believe I'd want to invest in property there right now, given the economic climate (they're in the middle of their own housing bubble).

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #7,287 of 9,499
Yeah, I saw it on Thursday. It needs some work mechanically, due to neglect (par for the course), but cosmetically it's almost like new. That's just a major puzzler, it could have gone for a lot more through private sale. The only thing I can figure is the seller wanted to take a loss, which does happen sometimes.
I don't want a house in the south of France. EU property taxes are a nightmare, especially for non-resident aliens (the UK isn't bad). New Zealand's the only other country I'd want to live in, and even then I don't believe I'd want to invest in property there right now, given the economic climate (they're in the middle of their own housing bubble).

Those taxes will start looking economical when you start factoring in the measures you will wind up taking to protect that comic book from the myriad loons who'll be after it.

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #7,288 of 9,499
Last buy of the weekend, a `61 250GT NART Spider. Should probably say the 250GT NART, because there's only one that was converted that year. Another lowball that I wasn't expecting, it was ~$500k below most estimates at 900k. Anyway, I'm out of money and it's time to go home now. :xf_eek:

Aug 17, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #7,289 of 9,499
It doesn't rival the NART by any means, but I spotted this new Wraith on the first leg of my move up to Chicago yesterday in Nashville. I'm crossing my fingers that the image posts correctly, since this new phone doesn't work too well with the Head-Fi mobile site. If it doesn't, I'll have to come back to it tonight.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #7,290 of 9,499
Are'nt Vectors just re-skinned Diablo's...the first one wasn't, sure the second one was.

I am not jealous of all these modern supercars you have Magic Man.*  But I am jealous of this freakin lovely 250gt, it reminds me of a more athletic 58 Corvette....perhaps one of the most gorgeous car of all time for me.

* Actually just a little.**

** OK....totally jealous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back