An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Feb 24, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #6,032 of 9,499
Oh, billy, check this:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4334821469.html

It's an original turbo Corsa, the ones w/ 180bhp, and 2 owners. Go buy that, seriously. In 3-4 years that will be a $25k car.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #6,033 of 9,499
You should have told him to legally change his name to Jack Lame.

Or Off.
Oh, billy, check this:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4334821469.html

It's an original turbo Corsa, the ones w/ 180bhp, and 2 owners. Go buy that, seriously. In 3-4 years that will be a $25k car.

That a real Yenko or just the cosmetic kit?

Either way, offer him 8 grand and see if he bites.

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #6,034 of 9,499
I need to stop saying I'm car shopping in this thread. You guys always find something I would love to have, but that would cause my wife to go off like the last above ground H-bomb test at Bikini Atoll.

:xf_eek:

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #6,035 of 9,499
Or Off.
That a real Yenko or just the cosmetic kit?

Either way, offer him 8 grand and see if he bites.

No, not a Yenko (if it were he'd be asking >$50k), but it IS a real Corsa, and those are still quite rare, esp in that condition. Also, the front brakes have already been converted to discs, which is one PITA the buyer won't have to deal with. If he takes less than $10k, he's crazy.

I need to stop saying I'm car shopping in this thread. You guys always find something I would love to have, but that would cause my wife to go off like the last above ground H-bomb test at Bikini Atoll.

:xf_eek:

You should get that car, think of it as a sure investment, at least more sure than the stock market. :xf_eek:

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #6,036 of 9,499

redface.gif

Look at it this way. It's only the price of 2 abyssmally ugly headphones. You'll actually be able to resell the Corsa though:wink:

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #6,039 of 9,499
Feb 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #6,040 of 9,499
A) She wouldn't believe anyone would give me a car.

B) She would assume I had bought it and was somehow hiding where I got the money.

C) She would be p!ssed that I had a friend willing to give that kind of gift, and I wasted it on a car.

D) All of the above.

Correct Answer: D, and your little dog too! :p

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #6,041 of 9,499

B) She would assume I had bought it and was somehow hiding where I got the money.

C) She would be p!ssed that I had a friend willing to give that kind of gift, and I wasted it on a car.

D) All of the above.

Correct Answer: D, and your little dog too!
tongue.gif

All of a sudden your avatar is making a whole lot of sense.
wink_face.gif

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #6,042 of 9,499
Feb 24, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #6,043 of 9,499

D) All of the above.

Correct Answer: D, and your little dog too! :p

C is strange, what else would I buy? I hardly rarely purchase anything else anymore, except for comic books and audio gear. :rolleyes:

Surely she buys things for herself, doesn't she?

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #6,044 of 9,499
C is strange, what else would I buy? I hardly rarely purchase anything else anymore, except for comic books and audio gear. :rolleyes:

Surely she buys things for herself, doesn't she?

I've spent nearly 30 years trying (and failing) to understand her particular brand of logic. The casual observer hasn't got a prayer of figuring it out. You will just hurt yourself if you keep trying. This is more like special relativity. You can either spend a lifetime studying it, or you can just accept that E=mc^2 and move on to something truly important...

In this case, I would imagine that in her mind, someone that would buy me a car, would have remodeled our kitchen or sent my daughter to college or something similarly "useful".

Many years ago, we had unofficially settled on an amount of ~$100 a month as the amount we could each spend "foolishly" without the need to consult each other. That amount grew to ~$200 during our peak earning period in ~2005-2007. Unfortunately, 2008 thru 2011 was not a good time at our house, and the foolish number went to $0. We're still digging out from that dark time, and we're now at a place where we could once again start to spend a bit on ourselves - EXCEPT - we also have the looming cost of college for the kids screaming toward us in the next 1.5 years.

So - that's a really long way to say that we don't spend much on ourselves these days. I'm not going to pretend we spend nothing - but it's more likely to be a good meal & a bottle of wine rather than some audio gear or hobby item for myself, or whatever the heck she would buy for herself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back