An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Aug 23, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #4,156 of 9,499
I was about to comment that Blade Runner was superb, but it really is the lone exception in a chain of mediocre-to-horrific adaptations ("The Adjustment Bureau" wasn't awful, just not particularly good).

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #4,159 of 9,499
I used to read Isaac Asimov, Brian Aldis, Poul Anderson, Piers Anthony, J G Ballard, Alfred Bester, Robert Bloch, Ben Bova, Ray Bradbury, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Arthur C Clarke, Michael Crichton, L Sprague de Camp, Lester Del Ray, Philip K Dick, Stephen Donaldson, Harlan Ellison, Philip Jose Farmer, Alan Dean Foster, Hugo Gernsback (The father of Sci-Fi), Harry Harrison, Robert  Heinlein, Brian Herbert, Fred Hoyle, Aldous Huxley, Dean R Kroonz, Keith Laumer, Ursula Le Guin, Fritz Lieber, Stanislaw Lem, C S Lewis, Anne McCaffrey, Walter M Miller Jr, Michael Moorcock, Andre Norton, Goerge Orwell, Frederick Pohl, Fred Saberhagen, Robert Silverberg, Clifford D Simak, Cort Siodmak, Cordwainer Smith, E E Doc Smith, George O Smith, Norman Spinrad, Brian Stableford, Theodore Sturgeon, Jack Vance, A E van Vogt, Jules Verne, Kurt Vonnegut Jr, H G Wells, John Wyndham, Roger Zelazny, among others.
It all started when my father bought home a penny dreadful paperback of Edgar Rice Burroughs' book "The Chessmen Of Mars.
It ended with over 200 Sci-Fi novels.

Aug 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #4,160 of 9,499
Tell me this doesn't look like fun! 

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #4,161 of 9,499
Werebot? Hmm - nothing comes immediately to mind. There was a short story by Roger Zelazny (under a pen name) called "The Stainless Steel Leech" about a robot vampire: http://www.e-reading-lib.com/chapter.php/73093/4/Zelazny_-_The_Last_Defender_Of_Camelot.html

And, of course, the Futurama episode "The Honking"...
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/futurama-episode-218-the-honking

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #4,162 of 9,499
This has been making the rounds on the forums and websites the past few days. It might be a hoax, but it's claimed to be some sort of new debut. There's 60 comments on it at Carscoops, which usually only gets about three or four an article. Any ideas? The only reasons I'm considering it credible is because Jalopnik ran with it and because the design language is very professional. It's not something that looks like a college project or cheap photoshop job.

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #4,163 of 9,499
That new Opel Monza concept?

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #4,165 of 9,499
I'm stuck between Volvo, Kia, and Citroen, but a lot of people are pointing to the wheel hub shape and claiming that it's a new Chrysler 300 replacement.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #4,166 of 9,499
OK - so I have a topic for discussion: Let's suppose you were going to buy a car (new or used) that you plan to drive until it has at least 150K+ miles. What would you buy? You should consider the entire experience - longevity, total cost of ownership, comfort, economy, performance, style, etc. But it will be your ONLY car for the next 150K+ miles.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #4,167 of 9,499
Quote:
Werebot? Hmm - nothing comes immediately to mind. There was a short story by Roger Zelazny (under a pen name) called "The Stainless Steel Leech" about a robot vampire: http://www.e-reading-lib.com/chapter.php/73093/4/Zelazny_-_The_Last_Defender_Of_Camelot.html

And, of course, the Futurama episode "The Honking"...
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/futurama-episode-218-the-honking

Thats the one! Thanks. Gawd its been decades since I read that. I was quite amused to read Zelazny's referencing to "The Last Man on Earth" in that story..

Futurama, I'm only waiting to join the TMAC crown until such time as I can find an excuse to use the TOFU eating Tiger as an Avatar
biggrin.gif

That or Kifs first step off the ship on Stumbos 4

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #4,168 of 9,499
Quote:
I'm stuck between Volvo, Kia, and Citroen, but a lot of people are pointing to the wheel hub shape and claiming that it's a new Chrysler 300 replacement.

I'm leaning toward the Volvo myself.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #4,169 of 9,499
Toyota Camry or Ford/GM/Chrysler midsize sedans.

Would never buy one but admit they have a few positives about them and btw all those qualities can never be found in a single car. Economy and performance rarely go hand in hand with good styling.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #4,170 of 9,499
Quote:
Toyota Camry or Ford/GM/Chrysler midsize sedans.

Would never buy one but admit they have a few positives about them and btw all those qualities can never be found in a single car. Economy and performance rarely go hand in hand with good styling.

You are forgetting about the Toyota Solara, most likely the best all rounder in your stated categories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back