An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jun 23, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #3,496 of 9,499
New Top Gear Series 20 Trailer

Check it out.

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #3,498 of 9,499
Ferrari scored a massive coup at the Int'l Engine Awards, grabbing the two top spots in the Performance area and each winning in their respective size categories. Well done Fezza. :) McLaren and Porsche also did well, grabbing top honors for their sizes as well. Overall champ, however, is the 1.0L 3-cyl Ford EcoBoost, getting the nod for their little engine that could.

http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/index.php

If you haven't seen this, you should, it's really amazing stuff. :cool:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmZMwk14r4c[/VIDEO]

Geez, listen to those wastegates. **** and take my money! :eek:

Jun 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #3,499 of 9,499
Quote:
Ferrari scored a massive coup at the Int'l Engine Awards, grabbing the two top spots in the Performance area and each winning in their respective size categories. Well done Fezza.
smily_headphones1.gif
McLaren and Porsche also did well, grabbing top honors for their sizes as well. Overall champ, however, is the 1.0L 3-cyl Ford EcoBoost, getting the nod for their little engine that could.

http://www.ukipme.com/engineoftheyear/index.php

If you haven't seen this, you should, it's really amazing stuff.
cool.gif

Geez, listen to those wastegates. **** and take my money!
eek.gif

It still amazes me how they manage to extract 200HP in a 1.0L 3 Cylinder engine. Sure it has help from a turbo but it's just a turbo from a 1.6L Ecoboost engine. That engine sure has loads of potential

The big question is: BAC Mono or Formula Ford? Hmmmmmmmm.....
The BAC Mono has a more beautiful and cleverer design but the Formula Ford has a better packaged engine.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #3,500 of 9,499
Ford couldn't sell it in California for several reasons. Here is just one:

26700. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), a passenger vehicle, other than a motorcycle, and every bus, motortruck or truck tractor, and every firetruck, fire engine or other fire apparatus, whether publicly or privately owned, shall be equipped with an adequate windshield.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any vehicle issued identification plates pursuant to Section 5004 which was not required to be equipped with a windshield at the time it was first sold or registered under the laws of this state, another state, or foreign jurisdiction.

Section 5004 is about special plates for "Vehicles of Historic Value" - so that would not apply.

Also, there's this one:

24400. (a) A motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, shall be equipped with at least two headlamps, with at least one on each side of the front of the vehicle, and, except as to vehicles registered prior to January 1, 1930, they shall be located directly above or in advance of the front axle of the vehicle. The headlamps and every light source in any headlamp unit shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 22 inches.

Hmm - the headlights look high enough (maybe), but I don't think they are "located directly above or in advance of the front axle".

I won't even get into the bumpers, airbags, emissions, etc, etc... :p

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #3,501 of 9,499
So that means that track day cars such as the Caterham R500, the Ariel Atom and the KTM X-Bow, BAC Mono are banned in California?
Isn't a helmet good enough for protection?

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #3,502 of 9,499
Stupid US lawmakers. We allow motorcycles, which are pure death traps (in Ca they even legalized lane splitting), some states don't even require helmets for God's sake, yet a 4 wheel vehicle with a safety belt is deemed unsafe? The most dangerous production car is 10x safer than any crotch rocket. We have the most witless legislators in the entire world, bar none.

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #3,503 of 9,499
Their main concern is getting re-elected, rather than actually doing what they are supposed to be doing.....and I'll stop there, before Warren has to come in and shut the topic down. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #3,504 of 9,499
Huh? Provided there's not mud-slinging, I don't mind if someone mentions something political, we just need to maintain civility towards each other. :cool:

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #3,505 of 9,499
The rental car I had in Texas last week would automatically lock the doors when I started the engine. It would not unlock the doors until I turned-off the engine - even if I put it in park, if the engine was running, the doors stayed locked. I could unlock them manually, but what a pain in the @ss.

Of course, the other crazy thing is that not only do we have all these rules and restrictions for equipment - there is also a law that says I must have a liability insurance policy and proof of "financial responsibility" that must be shown to a police officer upon demand.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #3,506 of 9,499
Yeah, auto locks drive me ape schiit. But so do most other nanny devices. I wouldn't be surprised if the death of the manual transmission is due to gov't pressure to dumb-down cars for the "public good". A guy I know at Nissan was claiming that 3 years ago but I waved it off, maybe I should have been paying closer attention? :mad:

http://kids.woot.com/offers/deluxe-mini-play-cube-3

Is there anything more awesome for a toddler? Seriously. My kid's going to go nuts over it. I can't believe I just found out about Anatex, they're going to be getting a lot of business from us.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #3,507 of 9,499
The DeLorean in the Smoky Mountains nat'l park.

It looks so cool, but the performance is really tragic. We're going to fix that, though, we can make it better, stronger, faster! :D

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #3,508 of 9,499
When you say,"really tragic", just how slow is it? 

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #3,509 of 9,499
Quote:
The DeLorean in the Smoky Mountains nat'l park.

It looks so cool, but the performance is really tragic. We're going to fix that, though, we can make it better, stronger, faster!
biggrin.gif

Alpine A310 it aint. Hamstrung by a powerplant it coulda been a contenda!

Curiously enouogh One drove by me just yesterday. I'll be expecting a Bricklin any time now
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back