An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up!
Jan 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #1,726 of 9,499
See they should automatically resolve that. That's just abysmal. I vote power-cell or hobbyist nuclear reactor.

Like I said, they're ranked in the bottom 1% of the country. God-awful CS and repair service, but most don't have another option.

The weather has cleared, and so have the roads, I'm going out for a "vigorous" drive.

Jan 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #1,729 of 9,499
Indeed, the Miura is a gorgeous car, but they're about as reliable as Presidential promises. But that describes just about every Lambo before the Germans took them over.

If the customer who buys it is the one who I think will buy it, it'll likely be repainted red. All of his cars are red.

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #1,730 of 9,499
Indeed, the Miura is a gorgeous car, but they're about as reliable as Presidential promises. But that describes just about every Lambo before the Germans took them over.

If the customer who buys it is the one who I think will buy it, it'll likely be repainted red. All of his cars are red.

How boring! I think certain cars should be certain colors. The color just fits them. With other cars, it really doesn't matter. I suppose it is related to how deeply a specific car is embedded in my psyche. The higher it is on my list of dream cars, the more specific a picture I have for it. :smile:

lol - splitting hairs on reliability - none of these cars are likely to give a Camry or Accord a run for the reliability crown. A reliable exotic car is likely to be the tallest one at the little people convention. :p

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,731 of 9,499
I remembered seeing this a while back so I went searching for it. Wallpaper sized:

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #1,734 of 9,499
I left out this morning and I had the baby with me, so I did like any sensible father and put the car seat in the McLaren, rear-facing and according to instructions, and made sure the air bags were disabled on her side (the system does it automatically but I checked anyway). Once all was squared away, we took off. There was no drama, the ride is very supple, and soon we reached the local school zone. I slowed down to the zone limit, and all was good. Until I reached the officer and he looks down into the car, because it rides so low, and I give a friendly wave. Two miles up the road I get pulled over. The officer asks for my paperwork, I provide it, then he asks if I know why he pulled me over (why do they always do that?) and I shake my head, even though I have a sneaking suspicion why.

"Did you know the passenger airbag could kill your child if it's deployed?" I replied, "Yes, that's why it's disabled on her side." Undaunted, he continues, "Do you believe this car is safe to transport a small child?" I replied, "Yes, the carbon fiber mono-cell she and I are sitting in is 5x stronger than steel and the car's impact safety rating is higher than your Dodge Charger's. Further, the safety belt restraint capacity is 3x the DOT requirement and stronger than in a Mercedes E-class." He grimaces, "I think you're trying to be smart with me." I shook my head, "No, I'm explaining that this car is completely safe for commuting with an infant. The only danger she's in right now is from catching pneumonia, because I'm talking with you with my window down." He gets angrier, "You're a funny man". I let out a long sigh and look into his eyes. "Do you want to see who funny I can be in a conference call with police chief Rausch and mayor Burchett?" That calmed him down. "I'm only concerned about the child's safety, there's no need for threats." I keep staring at him. "I appreciate your concern and diligence, but as I've not broken any laws, and my baby is getting cranky (she was starting to complain about the cold), it's best if I continue on my way. Yes?" At that, he hands back my stuff, gets back in his car, and slowly drives off.

And yes, he did still have peach fuzz on his chin, probably a recent academy grad. Being a cop doesn't mean you can just pull people over for no good reason and be the town nanny. :rolleyes:

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #1,735 of 9,499
I left out this morning and I had the baby with me, so I did like any sensible father and put the car seat in the McLaren, rear-facing and according to instructions, and made sure the air bags were disabled on her side (the system does it automatically but I checked anyway). Once all was squared away, we took off. There was no drama, the ride is very supple, and soon we reached the local school zone. I slowed down to the zone limit, and all was good. Until I reached the officer and he looks down into the car, because it rides so low, and I give a friendly wave. Two miles up the road I get pulled over. The officer asks for my paperwork, I provide it, then he asks if I know why he pulled me over (why do they always do that?) and I shake my head, even though I have a sneaking suspicion why.

"Did you know the passenger airbag could kill your child if it's deployed?" I replied, "Yes, that's why it's disabled on her side." Undaunted, he continues, "Do you believe this car is safe to transport a small child?" I replied, "Yes, the carbon fiber mono-cell she and I are sitting in is 5x stronger than steel and the car's impact safety rating is higher than your Dodge Charger's. Further, the safety belt restraint capacity is 3x the DOT requirement and stronger than in a Mercedes E-class." He grimaces, "I think you're trying to be smart with me." I shook my head, "No, I'm explaining that this car is completely safe for commuting with an infant. The only danger she's in right now is from catching pneumonia, because I'm talking with you with my window down." He gets angrier, "You're a funny man". I let out a long sigh and look into his eyes. "Do you want to see who funny I can be in a conference call with police chief Rausch and mayor Burchett?" That calmed him down. "I'm only concerned about the child's safety, there's no need for threats." I keep staring at him. "I appreciate your concern and diligence, but as I've not broken any laws, and my baby is getting cranky (she was starting to complain about the cold), it's best if I continue on my way. Yes?" At that, he hands back my stuff, gets back in his car, and slowly drives off.

And yes, he did still have peach fuzz on his chin, probably a recent academy grad. Being a cop doesn't mean you can just pull people over for no good reason and be the town nanny. :rolleyes:

I could've told you putting her in the Mac would incur the ire of vogons - but yeah, "this vehicle isn't safe" always makes me giggle about some of the better built supercars out there (I remember Wheeler going off on journalists and NHSTA for saying not very nice things about his cars, because they lacked airbags and had some other design quirks (which ultimately made them just as safe as any other car on the road)). I love how you seem to get every single instance of Officer Newjack (of the Rhode Island Newjacks) - you'd think they'd communicate and figure out that it's just one guy with 3-4 really exotic cars, and that he isn't a danger given that none of those exotic cars ever come across any reports they have (and likely never will; well, until "the baby" becomes "the teenager" :tongue_smile:).

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #1,736 of 9,499
As a smart-ass, I would be tempted to hang a "Baby on Board" sign in all my supercars now if I was you...except that antagonizing the police wouldn't do anything good....lol.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #1,737 of 9,499
Top Gear is back!!

Loved the first episode, especially the Pagani Huayra, rallying in the Bentley Continental, and then Jeremy going for VC investment for his small car, all reality tv style.

Jan 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #1,738 of 9,499
Quote:
Top Gear is back!!

Loved the first episode, especially the Pagani Huayra, rallying in the Bentley Continental, and then Jeremy going for VC investment for his small car, all reality tv style.

I kinda drifted off during the last 75% of JC's dicking around in the boxmobile. The rest of the show was great though.

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,739 of 9,499
Quote:
I kinda drifted off during the last 75% of JC's dicking around in the boxmobile. The rest of the show was great though.

I liked the last part, where the VCs are telling him, "Its the smartest you've ever been, Jeremy, but its still crap!".

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #1,740 of 9,499
I could've told you putting her in the Mac would incur the ire of vogons - but yeah, "this vehicle isn't safe" always makes me giggle about some of the better built supercars out there (I remember Wheeler going off on journalists and NHSTA for saying not very nice things about his cars, because they lacked airbags and had some other design quirks (which ultimately made them just as safe as any other car on the road)). I love how you seem to get every single instance of Officer Newjack (of the Rhode Island Newjacks) - you'd think they'd communicate and figure out that it's just one guy with 3-4 really exotic cars, and that he isn't a danger given that none of those exotic cars ever come across any reports they have (and likely never will; well, until "the baby" becomes "the teenager" :tongue_smile:).

By the time she's old enough to drive, no one will be able to drive them. We'll be running around in little electric-powered tin cans.

The car is completely safe, more safe than the CTS, TBH. Folks simply don't understand the materials and design process. Also, it rocks for baby chauffeuring duty, the doors allow for easier child seat negotiation. :wink:

As a smart-ass, I would be tempted to hang a "Baby on Board" sign in all my supercars now if I was you...except that antagonizing the police wouldn't do anything good....lol.

Already in the works, I ordered some of those little suction cup signs today. :cool:

Top Gear is back!!

We just got through watching it. The Huayra piece makes me want one... really bad. Epic, epic, car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back