Amusing sales methods
May 21, 2011 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tk3

Headphoneus Supremus
While I haven't used the FS boards here for quite awhile, I do browse them regularly because I like to see what people are selling and what kind of prices they charge.
What always amused me is how some people word their advertisements, often it begins with something like:

"I hate to let this go but, .."
"I really don't want to do this.."
"I really like these headphones, but.."  (this one is especially funny when you've seen them complain about them in another thread)

Followed by any number of fantastic excuses reasons.
Another funny one is when people say they are selling because they need money for something urgent, but incidentally they're also willing to trade the headphone for another megabucks item. Guess it wasn't that urgent after all.
tongue.gif

Mostly I think this is a pretty entertaining phenomenon, but sometimes people are being downright dishonest.
But mostly I think that this kind of thing is completely unnecessary, since the products that are being sold usually have some hype around them, so even if you wrote "selling because I didn't like the way they sound, maybe you will" it would make no difference in your sales efficiency I surmise.
Heck, I'd be more willing to buy something from the latter than from someone who is outright lying or not being completely honest about what they say.
smile.gif

Also, people use the term "mint condition" way too much.
For example, "need X in mint condition", this is funny when someone is asking for some über vintage item, but amusing in general because most items for sale here are used.
Or people offering something "in mint condition", but then they mention it "just has some scratches" or even more baffling, custom IEMs that have been used and so on. 

Any more amusing trends that you've noticed?

May 21, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 3
I have seen classifieds were people actually say they don't like the item.
Lots of people also attempt to sell their items for what they paid new and they bother taking into account the actual used sale price.

May 21, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #3 of 3
A good sollution for being honest but also don't want to be negative about what you're selling:

'don't like the sound signature' or 'not my cup of tea'

OP's right, who are you kidding with those sales methods.

I find it also very amusing when people say:

'I'm selling this for a friend of mine'
(although that can be true offcourse........sometimes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back